Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 08:31 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times

Advertisements

always a handy excuse for failure....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2021, 04:50 PM

4 posts, read 4,231 times
So all these racist white people in this thread are what South Carolina people are like? is this racism and ignorance what I'll have to deal with when I move there?

Old 01-18-2021, 03:13 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,096,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCracer112 View Post
So all these racist white people in this thread are what South Carolina people are like? is this racism and ignorance what I'll have to deal with when I move there?
Yep.

Racist, ignorant, white people.

Old 02-04-2021, 08:19 AM

237 posts, read 283,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCracer112 View Post
lol, you don't have to move here!

Old 03-05-2021, 03:25 PM

926 posts, read 827,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnSp View Post
This discussion points to what I didn't fully understand about "white privilege" until the gruesome death of George Floyd precipitated many conversations with members of the black community.
Well luckily for you, I am black, and the request for a black realtor is just as racist as if it were a request for a white realtor. I think it's you that doesn't understand.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:17 PM

11,402 posts, read 5,960,793 times
Where is the OP? Did he get his answer? He only posted once.

I understand but don't appreciate how the thread has turned into a racial discussion. The OP asked for specific help and if you can help, that is great. If you cannot help, then why muddy the thread? I am sure there are plenty of discussions of race in the controversies forum.

The OP asked for specific help with a valid question. I personally would have asked for the best realtor, not just someone who looks like me, but we all have different standards. If the OP has more trust in someone tht looks like him and feels more comfortable with someone that looks like him, who are we differ?

All he did was ask for a recommendation. Beyond helping him if you can, I don't see the C-D community benefitting from other discussion in this thread.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:08 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,775,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Where is the OP? Did he get his answer? He only posted once.

I understand but don't appreciate how the thread has turned into a racial discussion. The OP asked for specific help and if you can help, that is great. If you cannot help, then why muddy the thread? I am sure there are plenty of discussions of race in the controversies forum.

The OP asked for specific help with a valid question. I personally would have asked for the best realtor, not just someone who looks like me, but we all have different standards. If the OP has more trust in someone tht looks like him and feels more comfortable with someone that looks like him, who are we differ?

All he did was ask for a recommendation. Beyond helping him if you can, I don't see the C-D community benefitting from other discussion in this thread.

Why didn't the Moderators handle that?

Old 05-07-2021, 08:55 PM

2 posts, read 985 times
Let’s be adults, and acknowledge that historically, across our great nation, less enlightened bankers, mortgage brokers, developers, realtors and title companies have made it difficult for African Americans to buy houses. That offer was rejected when a better offer came in. We aren’t underwriting mortgages at this time. There are no lots currently for sale in this subdivision. There are issues with your creditworthiness that we can’t resolve at this time. Time and time again, invisible barriers go up in what is almost a coordinated effort to steer POC to certain areas of town. Certain school districts. Yes, it’s illegal. Yes, it’s immoral. Yes, it still happens today. The original poster knows this and does not want to waste time getting the runaround. The original poster wants to find and buy a house without running a virtual steeplechase over invisible obstacles. An African American realtor will be able to steer the original poster around these obstacles. Sorry to burst anybody’s bubble, but this is not an affront to Myrtle, it’s just real life, and it’s really, really happening, right now, all over this country. If I stepped on your toes, pull your toes back.

Old 05-07-2021, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddaVisser View Post
White privilege does not mean that every white person lives a life of care free opulence. What it means is that you’re not facing obstacles/social barriers simply because you are white. White Americans are roughly 70 plus percent of the population. There are social privileges in belonging to dominant social group. How many times have you told someone where you were from and heard “I’m mean where are you really from?” Many POC can relate to that because we are often “otherized” or not considered “real Americans.” Have you ever walked in a store and been immediately followed for no other reason their your skin color? Do you have to search for specific shows/channels to see representation of people who look like you? Have you ever wanted/needed to move but had to be cognizant about something as simple as a haircut because the potential area you’re moving to may have so few people with hair texture like yourself that local barbers have little to no experience dealing with that texture? Have you ever been told as a white male that your natural hair texture not hairstyle but texture of hair determined by genetics is “unprofessional?” Have you ever been the only white person in your class or job for months or years? If you do well are you told that you are a good role model for others of your race? Have you ever been stopped by police or had because it looked like you didn’t belong even though you weren’t doing anything unlawful. There are too many viral videos of black and brown people being accosted by police officers called on them by white people who didn’t think the person belong. The fact that you made comment about interactions with police proof of your white privilege. Look up the black pharmaceutical exec in NJ who was roughed up by cops who didn’t believe he and his family lived in an affluent gated community.

Having white privilege doesn't mean that white people have never endured challenges and distressing events. The truth is that growing up as a white person means never having to consider race for the majority of one's life. It's not something white people notice because as members of the dominant social group whiteness is treated as the default.
My family is Asian American and fortunately decided to mostly ignore not being the dominant social group, jokes whatever. Family full of MDs, MBAs, engineers, entrepreneurs, teachers, Ivy League grads (in spite of apparent discrimination against there being too many highly qualified Asian applicants) and multi millionaires. I know some good Asian American realtors, wouldn’t think to overtly and exclusively seek one out. I honestly feel sorry for people who feel so oppressed.

Old 05-09-2021, 06:55 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitneyB505 View Post
Let’s be adults, and acknowledge that historically, across our great nation, less enlightened bankers, mortgage brokers, developers, realtors and title companies have made it difficult for African Americans to buy houses. That offer was rejected when a better offer came in. We aren’t underwriting mortgages at this time. There are no lots currently for sale in this subdivision. There are issues with your creditworthiness that we can’t resolve at this time. Time and time again, invisible barriers go up in what is almost a coordinated effort to steer POC to certain areas of town. Certain school districts. Yes, it’s illegal. Yes, it’s immoral. Yes, it still happens today. The original poster knows this and does not want to waste time getting the runaround. The original poster wants to find and buy a house without running a virtual steeplechase over invisible obstacles. An African American realtor will be able to steer the original poster around these obstacles. Sorry to burst anybody’s bubble, but this is not an affront to Myrtle, it’s just real life, and it’s really, really happening, right now, all over this country. If I stepped on your toes, pull your toes back.
Yeah you have spoken to the elephant in the room given the history of some past real estate practices in the USA that are certainly at work but not as overt. Picking a realtor for what is likely the largest investment in a person/families life is a very big and often very personal deal and comfort, competency, trust, and life experiences all play a role in that. This along with life insurance are often the best ways to pass wealth on to the next generation for the average family. I have known African Americans who have sought out realtors based solely on the issues that you described above. I have also known some that have not selected African American realtor as they were looking for what they felt was the "best" or most "experienced" or "connected" realtor for the product in a particular market. They felt that a non African American realtor could negotiate/obtain a better sale price/deal for their purchase/sale... but even that perception was based in what you outlined above and the belief that a non African American realtor would have access to networks, relationships, and inside information that may not be available to an African American realtor..

Again, I would think it depends on the market and metro area and thus cant be applied in every area universally. Realtors are a tight network where relationships matter especially in hot markets where some may tip their colleagues off when homes may be coming on the market in hot/very desirable areas where they may be sold before the for sale sign even goes up. Conversely, if your realtor is a member of the Chamber of Commerce and is buddy buddy with the Planning Commission, City/County Council, or School Board. they may be aware of a pending plant closure, school redistricting, a new subdivision being planned across town that will be more desirable/popular, or the construction of the new shopping center that will increase traffic that could impact the value of a particular neighborhood and steer their clients to/from that area depending on their motivation/interest. Popular realtors often spin/refer clients off to other realtors, often new or less experienced, or based on what they feel may be a better "fit" for particular client.. So.. it can work both ways in that regard with the realtor choosing their clients in hot or popular markets...

Last edited by Woodlands; 05-09-2021 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area