Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 01:06 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
We have a condo rented for a week starting this saturday located near Garden city.Is this area much safer than central myrtle,? Where are all of the people getting infected or is it unknown . Would you recommend cancelling the trip ? I see that The number of infections has doubled in the last 7 days in Horry county.
Be cautious. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Wear a mask when food shopping.
Keep your distance when at the beach.

I would avoid restaurants. In the MB, NMB area 9 restaurants closed Sat-Sun due to positive cases.

Here's the SC map with zip codes. Check your zip code for the number of positive cases and that should help you decide.

The virus (and spike) has not kept away tourists from what I see. But many are out and about with not a care in the world for this virus...no masks and they don't even attempt social distancing so you have to be the one to veer out of the way.

https://scdhec.gov/infectious-diseas...-code-covid-19
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 02:19 PM

11,418 posts, read 5,967,061 times
South Carolina Covid cases are up 138% compared to 2 weeks ago, per NPR link below.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...rus-in-the-u-s

Unfortunately, I can't find a source for Covid deaths, which would be far more important. Getting bedridden with the flu sucks, but it is not the end of the world. Dying is. Literally.

Old 06-17-2020, 02:26 PM

Another question...

Why is is to easy to find the trend in Covid cases today, but so hard to find the trend in deaths?

I am confused why it is so easy to get sources showing how Covid cases are suddenly on the rise, and there is complete silence on whether or not deaths are on a corresponding rise, or still falling. At some point, it leads people into conspiracy theories, such as it almost seems like it could be because deaths are falling, and somebody doesn't want to make that apparent.

I don't know.

If anybody has a link to a good source showing state-by-state Covid death trends over the past week or 2, I would sure appreciate it. I can't find one for the life of me. I can only find cases, not deaths.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:00 PM

43,052 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Another question...

Why is is to easy to find the trend in Covid cases today, but so hard to find the trend in deaths?

I am confused why it is so easy to get sources showing how Covid cases are suddenly on the rise, and there is complete silence on whether or not deaths are on a corresponding rise, or still falling. At some point, it leads people into conspiracy theories, such as it almost seems like it could be because deaths are falling, and somebody doesn't want to make that apparent.

I don't know.

If anybody has a link to a good source showing state-by-state Covid death trends over the past week or 2, I would sure appreciate it. I can't find one for the life of me. I can only find cases, not deaths.
Deaths is a lagging indicator.

Average is 18 days from symptoms until death (severe cases) and then another up to 7 days to get the death recorded in the system.

https://preventepidemics.org/covid19...19-resurgence/

SC reports daily.
https://wpde.com/news/coronavirus/dh...e-june-17-2020
The South Carolina Dept. of Health and Environmental Control Wednesday announced 577 new coronavirus cases and 10 additional deaths.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:31 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,831 times
I have been following the number of daily deaths in the state via the tv news where they usually give that stat on a daily basis for a couple of months. The number has consistently been between 7-12 for the past month.

It's actually pretty easy to get stats here: https://scdhec.gov/infectious-diseas...tions-covid-19

It's important to keep in mind that the purpose of the lockdown was never to prevent people from getting the disease...it was to keep the health system from getting overwhelmed by a huge spike. "Flatten the curve" does not mean that the number of cases doesn't rise (a curve is not completely flat). Flatten the curve means the number of cases gets spread out over a longer time period so as to not overwhelm the hospitals. Those that thought we would not see a rise in cases and associated deaths did not understand the strategy of "flatten the curve." Of course, our public officials should have done a better job of explaining what this meant but it's hard for anyone to say..."we're taking this action to spread things out but people are still going to get sick and die until we have a vaccine or an effective treatment."

Keep in mind that the recovery rate is 99% and over 50% of deaths were from nursing homes where people were older and had underlying health conditions. Most of the rest of the deaths are in people with underlying health conditions. So, generally, nearly all people who catch COVID while on vacation will recover if they are healthy to begin with. Everyone should take precautions and do what they think best for their own health.

Old 06-17-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Deaths is a lagging indicator.

Average is 18 days from symptoms until death (severe cases) and then another up to 7 days to get the death recorded in the system.

https://preventepidemics.org/covid19...19-resurgence/

SC reports daily.
https://wpde.com/news/coronavirus/dh...e-june-17-2020
The South Carolina Dept. of Health and Environmental Control Wednesday announced 577 new coronavirus cases and 10 additional deaths.
Excellent points. That makes much sense.

Thank you.

Old 06-18-2020, 04:12 PM

792 posts, read 496,466 times
I would say South Carolina flattened the curve until about Memorial Day.

Old 06-22-2020, 02:26 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times
People on vacation tend to worry less about things like COVID-19 and are more defiant because they don't want to spend their vacation wearing a mask and social distancing and so many people are just plain fed up with the lockdown and all that has gone with it. While I get that, I think it is reckless, as evidenced by the rise in cases in such a short time. Honestly, if they want a normal vacation like they would have had last year, they should probably wait until next year.

We own a condo on the ocean there and we aren't going anywhere near the area until there is some kind of resolution to all of this. Our condo is in a very nice resort and is normally booked solid all year unless we are using it or for a few days right around Thanksgiving. We even have a Canadian snowbird couple who rent it all winter, so it is great for income. This year rentals are hit or miss and we are getting a fraction of what we normally would but we don't care at all. If one person doesn't get the virus and potentially die because they stayed home instead of renting our condo then it's worth an entire year's rent and then some. Safety first. I'm not a liberal by any stretch of the imagination but I do believe in being cautious and lives being saved.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:31 AM

82 posts, read 72,903 times
1. People not wearing masks and not wearing them properly
2. People traveling when they shouldn't be
3. People not washing their hands or not washing them properly
4. People not social distancing
5. The state not regulating things appropriately
6. The state not offering protection to employees who are being forced to work even if they don't feel safe going back

I moved from SC to CO in feb 2018. It's a night and day difference in how the two states are handling things. Businesses actually had to get permission to open up. They had to apply and demonstrate that they met public health mandates. Once approved they risked being shut down if they were reported for not following precautions. Only thing I don't like is that masks haven't been mandatory. All businesses should have been mandated that people wear a mask, just like they do shirt and shoes, and been fined if they did not adhere to the mandate. It wouldn't have taken businesses long to get with the program, peoples' complaints be damned.

My parents live in Myrtle Beach. They tell me every day that no one is doing what they should be doing. Hardly anyone wearing a mask, no one social distancing (they want to stand in line in your hip pocket), restaurant workers not changing out gloves between guests, housekeepers spending 30 minutes in a 5 bedroom place on a resort. I won't mention business names or throw anyone under the bus. However, there is a business in lodging that received reports of infected employees. They didn't shut down the pool or alert guests. When someone caught wind of it and asked they admitted to it but said the employee was waiting on test results (still working mind you). Guests in a rental tested positive so homeowner moved them to another rental and then promptly moved other guests in. My parents have seen people vacation for months and comforters have never been brought out of that home to wash (my parents have stayed in it before and it has no onsite washer/dryer). It's foul.

Back end of January to March 19th I was wearing gloves every day to the office in CO. Didn't make a difference. March 19th we were sent home due to exposure on March 9th on our floor. A week later I fell ill to it, and let me tell you, it ain't pretty. Even if it doesn't kill you it will make you wish you were dead. Beginning of May I got an antibody test and confirmed that that's what I had back in March. Luckily I now most likely have immunity to it (though newer research suggest antibody immunity may only last for 2 months).

Never the less I social distance and wear a mask, only go to essential businesses. Why? Because even though I'm most likely immune I can still touch an infectious surface and then pass it onto another surface that someone who hasn't had the virus will touch and face infection. Only 3% of CO is estimated to have been exposed. We are in for a rough next two years. Florida governor seems wet behind the ears every time he gets on tv. I'm not sure who elected him in or why. Numerous southern governors saying "Oh, the numbers are just higher because we are testing more." That's not necessarily how that works. What is the percent change? McMaster and a lot of southern governors are trying to ride this thing out refusing to close the economy, hoping it will blow over. Can't wait to see this circus unfold. They're in for a rude awakening

I can't believe how ignorant people have been with turning this into a political game of definace. It's not just America. Brazil has its own joke of leadership right now. People need to realize that quarantine as another poster mentioned is to keep hospitals from overflowing. It's not that you as a young person will get Covid and die. It's that if hospitals become flooded by Covid patients and then you come into the ER needing a ventilator for a terrible car accident, doctors have to play sophie's choice. who gets treatment and the ventilator? You, or the Covid patient? Whose life is worth more?

Old 06-24-2020, 01:09 PM

ShipwreckSiren,

Very interesting that you contracted Covid 19 while taking all safety precautions in Colorado where they are doing everything right vs. South Carolina where they are doing everything wrong.

It sounds to me like we are all going to get this disease eventually.

So what does it matter, sooner or later? There is no indication that Covid 19 will disappear like SARS so what does it matter if you get it soon, 2 months from now, or next winter. You are going to get it.

The initial shut-down was a prudent precaution while we waited to see how deadly it was. Now that we know it is not as deadly as Smallpox or Bubonic Plague, that it is not much more deadly than the annual winter influenza A or influenza B, it is time to open up and let people take their chances with this disease. We can still watch out not to dont overwhelm ICU rooms and ventilators, which are now plentiful since we have made thousands of new ventilators, have hospital ships on standby, and have seen that we can assemble 1000-bed makeshift hospitals in days.

Yes, I realize peolpe over 75 are at more serious risk of death, and everybody needs to focus on protecting them from exposure as we fully open up. Maybe you can't hug grandma anymore.

As far as immunity, even if you only get full immunity from Covid 19 for 2 or 3 months, your symptoms should be milder and duration of illness shorter the second time you get it, since you are starting off with antibodies custom designed to attack it.

Open up already. We need to take our hit and achieve herd immunity. We need to get through the first wave cycle and then really see about immunity and see if the virus contininues to weaken and be less deadly. It is time to stop treating this like some airborn vapor from Mars in a science fiction movie.

Open up already. We flattened the curve. The ICU beds are not overwhelmed. Hot spots can be dealt with on a case by case basis through reintroducing safety measures and if necessary, adding temporary ICU beds with ventilators.

Open up already. Let us get exposed, take our hit, move on, and get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area