Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 02:28 PM

30 posts, read 46,960 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to SC sometime in the next few years. We are thinking of buying a new construction in the Longs area. Does anyone have any info on this area? Is there a lot of crime? How long is the commute to the beach? Any idea how much home owners insurance might be for a 3 bed 2 bath home? We are thinking it might be cheaper since it's not as close to the shore. Is it in the hurricane path? Flood zone? What are the neighborhoods like? Are they friendly to outsiders? Sorry for all the questions but it's hard to make a decision when you are 600 miles away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 06:52 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,379 times
You need to make a trip to the area and spend a week or two just exploring and talking to local people in the area that you are considering. Skip all the tourist things and just concentrate on looking at areas that you think you might be interested in. Find the grocery store, the bank, the post office, the drug store...all the places you would normally go and just talk to the people in those facilities and ask them about the area. Stop and talk to people walking in neighborhoods.

Regarding Longs....it depends on what part of Longs your looking at. Some areas are very nice and safe and others...well, let's just say I wouldn't want to be walking around in even during the daytime. But, that's true of most areas.

Regarding your other questions:
Commute to the beach--depends on where in Longs but anywhere from 20-40 minutes.

Homeowners--probably about $700/year depending on the value of the home, etc.

Is it in the hurricane path....LOL...if you live anywhere close to the beach it's in a hurricane path...LOL. Hurricane's impact can reach hundreds of miles inland and the closer to the beach, the greater the impact. If one can't deal with the possibility of a hurricane, anywhere remotely close to the beach is not the place to move.

Flood zone...depends on where you are. Just google flood zone maps and look at the neighborhood you're considering to see if it's in a flood zone.

Most newer neighborhoods are filled with people moving to the Grand Strand from somewhere else so they're all outsiders and, generally, bond together. Most true locals accept new folks until the new folks say "That's not how we did that where I come from." And then the locals, rightfully so, get pissed off because the new folks are trying to change the local culture. I'm always amazed that people move here to get away from high taxes in the north and then vote for the same proposals that resulted in the high taxes in the north. But, that's a whole different can of worms.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:32 PM

47 posts, read 56,575 times
This is what I posted on another thread about Longs:
I live about 60 miles away from Longs but our local tv station also serves the beach and the Longs area. Just from watching the local news I would never live there. It seems like nearly every week there's one or more violent crimes reported in Longs. I used to camp at Willow Tree Plantation which is a very nice campground there. But I don't plan to go back. Just my opinion but based on the news stories I believe there must be a pretty strong gang presence there. Just my 2 cents.
Rate this post positively

Old 09-13-2018, 09:57 AM

30 posts, read 46,960 times
Thank you both for your responses. You have been very helpful.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:22 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
I, like the OP, am considering a move to the area. I'm coming from Charlotte, however. I do wonder what kind of violent crimes are most common. I also wonder if they're random or just thugs offing thugs, targeted.

I've been in the rental business for a long time where I am and want a change, I think. I've ridden numerous areas several times and think I know where I would like to be.

Questions I have are, is flood insurance higher on the east side of the ICW vs inland? How are the schools, really? Average rent for 1br, 2br apartments long-term and for seasonal leases?

For those who hate the people who want to change the area, I'm not one of those people. I will call BS when I see it but I would just prefer to be a productive citizen and enjoy life instead of getting spun up over every little thing. And maybe play a little golf.

If you were going to buy in the 250-500k range, where would you go? I really cant overstate how much I dont want an HOA but I guess I could deal with one as long as they arent a bunch of incompetent busy-bodies like I currently have.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:46 PM

132 posts, read 173,998 times
Im going to assume you picked longs because of the price. I personally would never live that far inland. Its up to you, but go visit and decide.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:04 PM

285 posts, read 638,823 times
In the 250-500k range, I'd look into Little River any day over Longs. Little River is closer to the beach, restaurants & activities, plus there are some places in Longs that have a strong propensity to flood. I'd look into these three communities within Little River: River Hills, Heather Lakes and Big Landing. If you do choose Longs then for that price range Long Bay or Pelican Bay would be my top choices.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:16 AM

52 posts, read 48,298 times
My parents live there. Yes, in hurricane paths, yes, in flood zones. Traffic around north myrtle is horrendous. $20/day to park at beach, even if you are a resident.

A lot of backwards rules and regulations, drivers here are the worse!

My parents retired here, is very low taxes, but a lot of little expenses that add up that most folks won’t tell you about, flood insurance, hurricane insurance, ongoing pest control, etc etc

The violence and crime in certain areas around Longs and Myrtle beach have really shocked my parents. And it’s not the responsible law abiding gun owners committing such depraved violent crime…..I’ll leave it at that.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:46 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarkman View Post
My parents live there. Yes, in hurricane paths, yes, in flood zones. Traffic around north myrtle is horrendous. $20/day to park at beach, even if you are a resident.

A lot of backwards rules and regulations, drivers here are the worse!

My parents retired here, is very low taxes, but a lot of little expenses that add up that most folks won’t tell you about, flood insurance, hurricane insurance, ongoing pest control, etc etc

The violence and crime in certain areas around Longs and Myrtle beach have really shocked my parents. And it’s not the responsible law abiding gun owners committing such depraved violent crime…..I’ll leave it at that.
I live in NMB. Residents park for free as you get a sticker from the city. Public parking is $2/hour otherwise. Parking is also free before 9am and after 5pm during summer season and free all day off season.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:20 AM

52 posts, read 48,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I live in NMB. Residents park for free as you get a sticker from the city. Public parking is $2/hour otherwise. Parking is also free before 9am and after 5pm during summer season and free all day off season.
Thank you so much!!!! I am sure my parents are not aware of this.

I appreciate your response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area