Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 02:57 PM

132 posts, read 174,528 times

Advertisements

My realtor called it that lol not me. Id say at least 10 minutes but maybe more depending on the time of year. My thing is I moved to be near the beach and little river isn't at the beach. No hate though, its just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 06:36 PM

214 posts, read 261,481 times
Sorry beachangel , my response was meant towards the statement , not the originator . I get you though , 2 years ago my wife never heard of Little River , even after 31 years of visiting the Grand Strand . Now Little River is the only place she wants to retire to . Enjoy the weekend .

Old 07-07-2018, 08:32 PM

70 posts, read 76,103 times
Default Concerts in the MB area

Many have mentioned the concerts in MB, especially NMB. What genres are performing at the concerts? Any big names?

Old 07-08-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlen View Post
We are also looking in the MB/Murrells Inlet area and will be visiting the area in July/August.
We are now turning our attention to the Little River area. We like it near the beach but also want to
check out the Little River area to get a feel for what it would be like in that area.
We are looking for 55+ communities in that area. Our primary goal is to retire down there so we are
looking for affordable homes that are in "move in condition".
Most importantly, we would also like some more feedback on the area in general. Please keep the
posts coming.

Regards,
Len

Len, We too plan to move to MB, hopefully after the summer crowd leaves. Wondering if you or anyone else on here has to sell their home before moving and do they have any pointers for us. We know we may need personal storage for a while. My husband is terrified to move, saying he's afraid of everything from not getting a hotel room (due to all the horror hotel reviews) to bad landlords to hurricanes.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:00 PM

88 posts, read 167,337 times
Yes, we will be selling our house here in So. Jersey before moving. We are in the process of fixing up/painting and general neatening up things. We intend to sell probably 80 -90% of the stuff we've accumulated over decades of being pack rats.
What we don't sell we'll probably give away to friends and family.........or anyone else who will take this junk!!
No storage for us. If we're not using it or haven't used it for 6 months, it's outta here. Period!!!!
I know this is crappy advice but it's all I got. And it's really the way we're going about it. I've got almost 1/2 the garage cleared out, a bit more in the attic, etc. We're tired of clutter and want our retirement house to be neat and clean so we can bum around and do nothing. If we want to dust we want it to take 10 minutes, not 10 days.
We are going down there to learn the area as best we can, find a realtor we can trust and make move next Spring.
My advice for hubby........put on your big boy pants, do your homework and make a move based on your best common sense.
I'm older than dirt and if we don't do this now we'll never do it. Sick of snow and cutting lawns.
Just want to sit around and do nothing.......didn't I already say that though.................................

Regards,
Len

Old 07-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlen View Post
Yes, we will be selling our house here in So. Jersey before moving. We are in the process of fixing up/painting and general neatening up things. We intend to sell probably 80 -90% of the stuff we've accumulated over decades of being pack rats.
What we don't sell we'll probably give away to friends and family.........or anyone else who will take this junk!!
No storage for us. If we're not using it or haven't used it for 6 months, it's outta here. Period!!!!
I know this is crappy advice but it's all I got. And it's really the way we're going about it. I've got almost 1/2 the garage cleared out, a bit more in the attic, etc. We're tired of clutter and want our retirement house to be neat and clean so we can bum around and do nothing. If we want to dust we want it to take 10 minutes, not 10 days.
We are going down there to learn the area as best we can, find a realtor we can trust and make move next Spring.
My advice for hubby........put on your big boy pants, do your homework and make a move based on your best common sense.
I'm older than dirt and if we don't do this now we'll never do it. Sick of snow and cutting lawns.
Just want to sit around and do nothing.......didn't I already say that though.................................

Regards,
Len

Len, hehe, I'll tell hubby what you said. You're very amusing and made me laugh. We have a similar situation with our current homes but we're so disabled that at this point, we're going to insist on selling with the furniture, which is basic. If you're not afraid of hurricanes and critters, you'll probably be okay there. there. It seems if a person loves visiting a place at least in summer and winter and hate returning North every time, that's one sign that person would be happy living there. I've thought long and hard about the downsides of moving there and if there is any I've missed, I'd love to know it.

Old 07-10-2018, 02:50 PM

790 posts, read 1,623,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToWarmth View Post
Len, We too plan to move to MB, hopefully after the summer crowd leaves. Wondering if you or anyone else on here has to sell their home before moving and do they have any pointers for us. We know we may need personal storage for a while. My husband is terrified to move, saying he's afraid of everything from not getting a hotel room (due to all the horror hotel reviews) to bad landlords to hurricanes.

Based on past postings, it seems that your husband is very concerned about hurricanes and, to be candid, moving in general. Be sure and think about a move here versus an alternate, perhaps more inland, location. Hurricanes are a fact of life on the coast. It's not IF we're going to have one (or more than one) it's WHEN and HOW BIG and how often. You will be inconvenienced, you will be scared, and you will need to leave the area at some point...maybe for just a day or two or perhaps longer if the storm is big and damage is severe. If those things are too terrifying for your husband, take time to consider whether the move makes sense.

I'll use my Dad as an example. He and my Mom moved here to be close to us...Mom was excited, he dreaded it. Unfortunately, he never really adapted to the area...he hated the type of grass we have, he hated the traffic, he hated that he didn't know his way around everywhere like he did "back home," he hated his house (he thought it was poorly built), he was scared to death when a hurricane threatened, he hated the quality of the food (it was always better "back home"), he hated how close the houses are, he hated that the HOA wouldn't let him put up a privacy fence....etc. In other words, he started out with a bad attitude about moving and it resulted in him hating just about everything. He was pretty miserable here until the day he passed away.

So, don't let your desire to get away from the snow override the evaluation of where to move. While it's not on the coast, Greenville SC is a beautiful area and does not have the weather concerns that MB has. There are other places to consider as well. Not trying to talk you out of MB, just consider all your options based on desires and concerns.

Regarding personal storage...don't bring anything you don't absolutely need. You will have very little storage in whatever house you buy and everything will end up in your garage or you'll pay to store stuff you'll never use. Purge, purge, purge and when you're done...purge some more...LOL.

Old 07-20-2018, 09:08 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,940,355 times
Could someone tell me The less desireable area of Little River? I'm looking at homes online and knowing that would help. The variance in the prices makes me wonder! Thanks☺

Old 08-20-2018, 09:07 AM

8 posts, read 14,618 times
The wild wild west seems to be more applicable to the Longs area rather than the Little River area. I just don't think of 'run down areas' hosting golf courses, yachts and marinas. I am sure just you may find a bad apple here or there but by and large I think Little River is a good place. If there is anything to be concerned about in Little River, it would be what areas are more prone to flooding rather than crime.

It is correct that Little River doesn't technically have a beach (It hosts the Intracoastal and its own inlet). However, Little River and North Myrtle Beach for all intents and purposes are the same place. Little River is unincorporated and shares many things with North Myrtle Beach, including schools. In fact, both North Myrtle Beach middle and high schools have Little River addresses. I admit I am a bit biased living here but I also lived for 3 years in Surfside/Garden City as well, so I at least have experience living in both places. As for distance to the beach, if you get a house west of the Bypass down south, you will be further from the ocean than my house in Little River.

Little caveat with this all: the Little River zipcode area (29566) extends a bit ways inland similar to Murrells Inlet so I cannot speak for the parts that are close to Longs. But within a few miles from the ocean it's all virtually the same place. If you are strictly speaking of city limits proper then your comparisons are different. Surfside and North Myrtle are very small areas. That is why Garden City and Murrells are often lumped together, and also why Little River and NMB are lumped together.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 AM

1,045 posts, read 1,940,355 times
Thank you so much. That sure helps! I have the crime map e-mailed to me daily. I know where I don't want to live! What areas are prone to flooding?
So far Little River sounds great. I've also been checking out Murrells Inlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area