Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:09 AM

1 posts, read 4,268 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am relocating to Myrtle Beach (Husband Job Transfer). I am very concerned with what area we should live in. I have 2 children 10 & 14. School is important as well as a safe community. I have read a lot of negative feedback w/ crime etc. Can anyone make some recommendations? We don't mind traveling 30+min. etc.

What communities do you reccomend?

Where could I find a long term rental? 12 mos.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,632 times
The crime reports for Myrtle Beach can be highly deceiving. Some of the per capita reports compares the amount of crime in the city against the amount of residents... of course the crime ratio is going to through the roof because you have millions of tourists visiting the city throughout the year and you only have a year-round population of 25,000. There are neighborhoods that you would want to avoid in MB, some because they are suited for tourists/transient visitors and others because they are poor & high in crime.

If you (or your husband) are willing to travel 30 minutes to MB then you have many choices with great neighborhoods & schools. In order to recommend an area for rental or purchase we would need how much you can afford and what you are looking for in a community besides good schools.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:39 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,880,634 times
I live in the Carolina Forest area and love it. We moved here 1 year ago. The schools are great, the middle school is new and just open this year. We have had no problems with crime.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM

882 posts, read 3,538,299 times
I sound like a broken record when I say this..

IMO, Carolina Forest offers the most bang for the buck, ESPECIALLY right now. Prices have corrected and it's a good time to buy, if buying now is what you're looking for.

You can also find a good rental home in Carolina Forest, which will give you the opportunity to 'test drive' the area before making your buying decision.

The CF area will, eventually, be a self sustaining city in and of itself. 15 Years ago I would have doubled over laughing at the idea, but the reality is simply that is taking place around me.

Regarding crime stats, don't be misled in the annual figures and percentages. These are based on County Population, which sits around 225,000 right now (if I'm not mistaken) but what it does NOT factor in are the 14 MILLION tourists who visit annually and contribute to the stats..

All things considered, I think Myrtle Beach is a great place to call home!

Old 03-07-2008, 11:26 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,779,523 times
I agree with Carolina Forest - lt's to choose from and close to everything. I can email you some long term rental info. if you still need it. Let me know.

Old 03-08-2008, 07:17 PM

543 posts, read 2,364,485 times
The only negative thing I have to say about CF is the traffic. Other than that, you have a little community there with schools and shopping. It's a pretty neat place to live.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,882 times
I.want to rerelocat Myrtle Beach.i have to sale my house and we know that is not good right now but iam saleing and moveing

Old 09-14-2008, 10:24 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usc_gal98 View Post
The only negative thing I have to say about CF is the traffic. Other than that, you have a little community there with schools and shopping. It's a pretty neat place to live.
I loved Carolina Forest!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:51 PM

207 posts, read 1,003,982 times
I agree with above...when we lived in MB, we lived in the Carolina Forest area and I worked at the elementary school. Its a great school and a great area to live in. I have heard from several people that the traffic in that area has gotten bad...but thats life when you live in a growing area. And my priorities are to live in a safe, friendly community...in a home that is perfect for my family...and worry less about dealing with traffic.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:29 AM

13 posts, read 59,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
The crime reports for Myrtle Beach can be highly deceiving. Some of the per capita reports compares the amount of crime in the city against the amount of residents... of course the crime ratio is going to through the roof because you have millions of tourists visiting the city throughout the year and you only have a year-round population of 25,000. There are neighborhoods that you would want to avoid in MB, some because they are suited for tourists/transient visitors and others because they are poor & high in crime.

If you (or your husband) are willing to travel 30 minutes to MB then you have many choices with great neighborhoods & schools. In order to recommend an area for rental or purchase we would need how much you can afford and what you are looking for in a community besides good schools.
Well, as an authentic mid-southern with deep roots who's heart was set on moving to MB, and my housing was all set up to move in, i just couldn't stomach the CRIME! rate per capita/person, something on the order of 1 violent malicious act per 36 residents?

Come on! This is not right or fair for a new family looking to move to this Grand Strand area and further definitely cannot possibly be fair to the good nature of native South Carolinians because i spent plenty of time all over SC, including MB, and i never felt more at home in all my life with down-to-earth folks.

In my honest opinion, there should be a 3 strikes law alright but in this fashion, a hudlum who refuses to correct their conduct according to true southern hospitality and respect for their fellow man/woman, on the 3rd incident should be DEPORTED and BARRED from the state period, no questions asked. We already have enough dangers to deal with as it is with out-of-country hostilities, why should we have to live in fear our own citizens right here in America.

I'm appalled and disappointed at the same time, but theres only one alternative IMO to avoiding becoming a statistic when the figures speak for themselves, and that is to distant yourself far away from the source of potential danger or disruption of normal living.

Is this realistic in your opinion or grossly exaggerated, i would be curious to read some locals or vistors opinions on such as issue of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area