Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 09:55 AM

38 posts, read 72,994 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the level of crime in the Myrtle Beach area? Considering it for retirement and was surprised to read somewhere the other day that it is a high crime area - had never heard that before. I'd like to hear from long-time residents whether or not this is true and if so, what type of crimes. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 11:28 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,703,089 times
This article explains why it looks like Myrtle Beach has such a high crime reputation.
Blog | Should you be worried that Myrtle Beach is ranked the 12th most dangerous U.S. city? | The Sun News

I live in the Market Common area and feel very safe. In the last year the crimes I have heard of in my neighborhood were someone stole something from an unlocked car, some kids stole some mailboxes and someone stole something off a porch (they were caught on camera). If you're not living in the tourist section on the beach and have basic street smarts (lock your car, be mindful of your surroundings, etc) you should be fine.
If you find an area you like, go to Tulia and look at a home in he area, at the bottom of the page will be an area crime map. One thing to consider, hospitals and emergency rooms may show higher crime, because that is the address sometimes used on the police report.

Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 AM

382 posts, read 869,093 times
Go to the Myrtle Beach Police webpage, they post every police report online. It will tell you everything you want to know; dates, times, location, types of crimes, and more.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:27 PM

15 posts, read 25,236 times
The crime is high from NMB all the way south to Georgetown. Trust me on this..

Old 03-20-2017, 03:37 PM

6,134 posts, read 4,622,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
This article explains why it looks like Myrtle Beach has such a high crime reputation.
Blog | Should you be worried that Myrtle Beach is ranked the 12th most dangerous U.S. city? | The Sun News

I live in the Market Common area and feel very safe. In the last year the crimes I have heard of in my neighborhood were someone stole something from an unlocked car, some kids stole some mailboxes and someone stole something off a porch (they were caught on camera). If you're not living in the tourist section on the beach and have basic street smarts (lock your car, be mindful of your surroundings, etc) you should be fine.
If you find an area you like, go to Tulia and look at a home in he area, at the bottom of the page will be an area crime map. One thing to consider, hospitals and emergency rooms may show higher crime, because that is the address sometimes used on the police report.
That's an interesting point (particularly the bolded part) because the area along Ocean Blvd. downtown near the old Pavillion has quite a few motels (particularly on the non ocean side and the next block or so over, but even a few on the ocean fronting side) that saw their better days long ago, and seem to get more worn looking each time I'm in the area. I know in most non resort areas, the less desirable, less well maintained motels turn into borderline substandard housing for transient people who are living there and have less than desirable behavior (i.e. prostitution/drug activity, etc.).

Aside from the rowdy spring breakers, are some of these properties crime magnets, like you would find of similar properties in non resort areas?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:06 AM

Thank you for this info. I do look at Trulia and check out the crime graph at the bottom so I'm glad you think that it's accurate. What is the "common market" area? I'd like to be somewhere near the beach (otherwise, what's the point ) but I don't necessarily have to ON the beach. Is it safer further back? I realize that a lot of tourists skew the numbers somewhat, but do you think that, overall, if you live in a normal residential home in the city - rather than a condo, say, on the Grand Strand - that the statistics would be lower?

Old 03-30-2017, 11:12 AM

Hi LeftCoast2b, what is your reason for saying that "crime is high from NMB all the way south to Georgetown?" Do you have first-hand experience?
I was also interested in Georgetown because less congestion, smaller population, decent home prices - particularly some structures that would be classified as "historic" or Colonial/Arts&Crafts/Victorian style - which you definitely can't get anywhere else. Does the fact that the population is almost 50% Black have anything to do with prices/economy? I'm French/Caucasian and was married to a Latino so I have kids that are sort of half/half and one of my daughters married a Black computer techy, so I thought Georgetown might work better for them (as opposed to some places in SC that definitely do not welcome colored folk of any persuasion). What's the economy like in Georgetown? Are there jobs?

Old 03-30-2017, 12:16 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,675,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicgirl View Post
Thank you for this info. I do look at Trulia and check out the crime graph at the bottom so I'm glad you think that it's accurate. What is the "common market" area? I'd like to be somewhere near the beach (otherwise, what's the point ) but I don't necessarily have to ON the beach. Is it safer further back? I realize that a lot of tourists skew the numbers somewhat, but do you think that, overall, if you live in a normal residential home in the city - rather than a condo, say, on the Grand Strand - that the statistics would be lower?
What you are asking about is this:

Market Common MB - Home - Market Common, Myrtle Beach, SC

Old 03-30-2017, 02:58 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,703,089 times
The Market Common refers to the area built on the old Air Force base, in addition to the stores, restaurants, theaters and parks there are about 10 different developments with single family homes, townhomes and apartments.
Homes for Sale in Market Common - Myrtle Beach Real Estate
You are about a mile to the ocean (within golf cart range). Some of the areas are age restricted (55+) but many are not. There is also Seagate Village, which was the family quarters on the base and have been converted into duplex condos.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:17 PM

312 posts, read 516,921 times
I feel very safe and am in Murrells Inlet. We live about ten minutes from Huntington Beach State Park which has a beautiful beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area