Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 02:59 AM

690 posts, read 1,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehaz1 View Post
2 murders a year in MB. 16 million visitors a years. More per capita than Baltimore. Something with you is way off. Balt. has a few dozen murders a year with a few million visitors. Check your facts.
Approximately 20.4 million or greater people visit Baltimore a year. Similar with cities of the same size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 09:41 PM

312 posts, read 516,564 times
This thread amazes me. I've never felt safer, and I've lived in a lot of cities. Of course I'm not in the center of the tourist area, but still...

Old 05-15-2017, 04:58 AM

15 posts, read 25,226 times
Murrells just had a home invasion, TD bank was robbed and over 33 houses broken into already in 2017

Old 05-18-2017, 07:36 AM

I'm sorry to say it but if I were Latino or Euro this is not an area I would consider. SUPER conservative Bible belt and very 'white'

Old 05-18-2017, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGameHHH View Post
As a future Myrtle/Conway resident, I can tell you guys that Myrtle is nothing when it comes to crime. During my various trips there, we never felt unsafe anywhere. Ocean Blvd is considered luxury compared to places like Orange Mound-South Memphis.
You want facts ?

Blog | Should you be worried that Myrtle Beach is ranked the 12th most dangerous U.S. city? | Myrtle Beach Sun News

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/sc/myrtle-beach/crime

There ya go. Now you have the facts. You're welcome in advance

Old 05-18-2017, 01:03 PM

285 posts, read 639,427 times
If ya look at crimes per square mile, Myrtle Beach is well outside the top 100.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 PM

312 posts, read 516,564 times
I know when people consider relocating to certain areas of the country they look back at threads. I'll just speak from my own experience. I lived in Mt Pleasant for ten years and enjoyed it. I left Coastal SC but missed the area. I made the decision to return and ended up living on the South Strand and feel as safe as I did in Mt P. People are unbelievably friendly to me even though I haven't been to church in the two years I've been here. I have friends who go regularly and those who rarely go. Church attendance isn't even a discussion topic. Coastal SC has people from all over the country locating here. As far as how people treat others, I've again met predominantly very open minded people. I'm not saying everyone is, but that's true anywhere. My son is African-American. I try not to get involved in posting much, but I hate to see stereotypes of this area being perpetuated. I'm sorry if others haven't had the same experience here, but we are truly happy with our location.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:54 PM

734 posts, read 920,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCtoLongIsland View Post
I know when people consider relocating to certain areas of the country they look back at threads. I'll just speak from my own experience. I lived in Mt Pleasant for ten years and enjoyed it. I left Coastal SC but missed the area. I made the decision to return and ended up living on the South Strand and feel as safe as I did in Mt P. People are unbelievably friendly to me even though I haven't been to church in the two years I've been here. I have friends who go regularly and those who rarely go. Church attendance isn't even a discussion topic. Coastal SC has people from all over the country locating here. As far as how people treat others, I've again met predominantly very open minded people. I'm not saying everyone is, but that's true anywhere. My son is African-American. I try not to get involved in posting much, but I hate to see stereotypes of this area being perpetuated. I'm sorry if others haven't had the same experience here, but we are truly happy with our location.
Thank you very much!!

Old 06-22-2017, 02:09 PM

38 posts, read 72,928 times
Thanks guys, this is all very helpful - especially to SC2LongIsland and LeftCoast2b regarding the Bible Belt and non-white comments. This is why I like to hear from long-time local people who've lived there for awhile. We all have different experiences and expectations, so it's good to hear both pro and con in all aspects. Wouldn't life be grand if we all learned to live in harmony with one another??!
I found a cute home on Frontier Drive in MB at a decent price so this is timely to help me decide. I do also like Murrels because it's apparently less busy and crowded than MB - although probably less opportunities and activities. Am searching both areas.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:21 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicgirl View Post
Hi LeftCoast2b, what is your reason for saying that "crime is high from NMB all the way south to Georgetown?" Do you have first-hand experience?
I was also interested in Georgetown because less congestion, smaller population, decent home prices - particularly some structures that would be classified as "historic" or Colonial/Arts&Crafts/Victorian style - which you definitely can't get anywhere else. Does the fact that the population is almost 50% Black have anything to do with prices/economy? I'm French/Caucasian and was married to a Latino so I have kids that are sort of half/half and one of my daughters married a Black computer techy, so I thought Georgetown might work better for them (as opposed to some places in SC that definitely do not welcome colored folk of any persuasion). What's the economy like in Georgetown? Are there jobs?
Actually, this doesn't make sense in terms of the fact that the Pee Dee region of the state is arguably the "Blackest" part of SC or is one of anyway. My mother is originally from Mullins and it is about 60-70% Black, as are many of the nearby towns or at least have high percentage of some degree.

A lot of people may not know that Horry County was one of those places in the state not that long ago, as Atlantic Beach is where nearby Black residents went in terms of going to be beach. Hence the different demographics for the Myrtle Beach Bike Week and the Atlantic Beach Bike Week. You'll understand when you move down there.

I also agree in terms of the crime. It is partially due to being a major tourist town that brings in a range of people. So, you have to adjust for visitors and keep that in mind when looking at such information for any city/place, as those that may not live in that city may contribute to the crime in that city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area