Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 17,283 times

Advertisements

I am a professional African-American who is considering moving to Myrtle Beach. I am seeking the warm weather and lower cost of living. What are the racial attitudes in Myrtle Beach ? Are there any Blacks that live there who might be able to give me their perspective?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,872,540 times
I don't think the question is one about professional Blacks in Myrtle Beach, but about professionals period. Myrtle Beach's economy largely rests on the tourism industry, which isn't exactly known for its high-paying, professional jobs. If you seek warmer weather and a coastal city with a scene for professional African Americans, you'd be much better off in Charleston.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:30 AM

1 posts, read 12,273 times
Thumbs down Blacks in Myrtle Beach

I just returned from a week long Golf vacation in Myrtle Beach. I golfed at three different courses which were incredible (The Wizard, Man O' War, and the Witch). If you are into Golf, MB is definitely the place to go and enjoy some great golf courses. The staff at all three of these places treated me very professional and I never once felt if tho I was being handle differently because I am black. The hotel I stayed at, the Long Bay Resort, also treated me like a king, and the golf directors Barry and Joe were very generous and professional. They took good care of me.

Now, with that being said, I must tell you that there were VERY few blacks there. I could count them on one hand. There was NO mixed couples, and NO mixed children, that I noticed.

I was traveling alone, so I paid close attention to how blacks were perceived. I must say that I did not receive too many smiles from those staying at the hotel or through out the community. I did make friends with a golfer from Delaware who was white and super cool. His name is Danny, he was down there with his wife and called me to see if I wanted to go out and golf a second day. He was cool but was not shy about commenting on the stereo type that was so obvious.

Most of the time I thought I was being stared at and being watched. I am a professional myself, Senior Software Engineer of 26 years, from Massachusetts.

My advise would be to do your homework! I did give a ride to a young black couple from MB to Atlantic Beach (the "black beach" they told me). This is a VERY small community of blacks (former descendants of slaves who work the rice plantations in SC). If you ever go there, go down 17 North until you get to Atlantic Beach, and drive up and down the streets. It's looks like New Orleans, the day after Katrina. Man you would ask yourself, how is this possible in 21st century in America. Check this link out, it will blow your mind: [url=http://www.discoversouthcarolina.com/cities/387.aspx]Atlantic Beach: South Carolina Parks & Tourism[/url]

I asked the guy I was giving a ride, what about mix couples here. He replied, "Man you in south! Are you crazy?"

Blacks down there appear to know their place... and so do the whites.

Be careful dude!

Old 08-31-2008, 02:37 PM

245 posts, read 761,845 times
I think it may been more because you were alone than because you were black.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:43 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,876,121 times
Quote:
Atlantic Beach... looks like New Orleans, the day after Katrina.
Very good description.

You ask how it is possible in 21st Century America? You can start with an inept & corrupt town council... Real estate developers hording property and a moratorium on development... Failure to pay its employees, including the police... being a hair away from bankruptcy... drugs & prostitution.

It is actually a very sad story about a piece of the Grand Strand that should have been very different.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:03 PM

543 posts, read 2,364,373 times
There are ALOT of blacks here and there are ALOT of bi-racial children here.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 12,228 times
Default It is what it is....

Until WE change it. I love South Carolina. Both of my parents were born in Georgetown County, and my father is now buried there. I have had the pleasure of living in the "low country"(Andrews, SC) as well as in a college town (Baton Rouge, LA) and one of the most thriving economies in the country (Dallas, TX). But my heart is in the low country. I am in the process of relocating back there now.

I feel the reason our black community has not thrived as well as they should in that area is due to the forgotten spirit of giving back. I had the opportunity to go to college in another state, and was offered a job in yet another part of the country. But what has never left my spirit is the reason I wanted to gain this knowledge and experience. Because I want to give back to my community there in South Carolina.

You know the only way to encourage change is to lead by example. They need to be encouraged to try something. When you are in sales, you understand risk and reward. Some of my relatives there have never taken a risk of any kind. As it’s not the norm.

There are a lot of smart African American Professionals in and around the Myrtle Beach Area. But they lack structure, and organization. When I move there, I plan to organize and network with local professionals. We can change the attitude of our colleagues and increase the presents of minority owned businesses in that area. There is a lot of opportunity in South Carolina. I am following my dream and my heart by relocating there. My hope is that more people who remember where they come from decide it's worth it to do something to improve home. The only way for our presence to be seen in the market is for us to organize, support one another and encourage the entrepreneurial spirit among our youths.

"That’s my 2 cents, spend it well – Suzie Orman”

Lisha Matt

Old 09-06-2008, 02:29 PM

245 posts, read 761,845 times
great post!

Old 09-06-2008, 08:23 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,001,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisha matt View Post
Until WE change it. I love South Carolina. Both of my parents were born in Georgetown County, and my father is now buried there. I have had the pleasure of living in the "low country"(Andrews, SC) as well as in a college town (Baton Rouge, LA) and one of the most thriving economies in the country (Dallas, TX). But my heart is in the low country. I am in the process of relocating back there now.
I feel the reason our black community has not thrived as well as they should in that area is due to the forgotten spirit of giving back. I had the opportunity to go to college in another state, and was offered a job in yet another part of the country. But what has never left my spirit is the reason I wanted to gain this knowledge and experience. Because I want to give back to my community there in South Carolina.
You know the only way to encourage change is to lead by example. They need to be encouraged to try something. When you are in sales, you understand risk and reward. Some of my relatives there have never taken a risk of any kind. As it’s not the norm.
There are a lot of smart African American Professionals in and around the Myrtle Beach Area. But they lack structure, and organization. When I move there, I plan to organize and network with local professionals. We can change the attitude of our colleagues and increase the presents of minority owned businesses in that area. There is a lot of opportunity in South Carolina. I am following my dream and my heart by relocating there. My hope is that more people who remember where they come from decide it's worth it to do something to improve home. The only way for our presence to be seen in the market is for us to organize, support one another and encourage the entrepreneurial spirit among our youths.

"That’s my 2 cents, spend it well – Suzie Orman”

Lisha Matt

Giving back is great. Enthusiasm is great. But how far do you think you'll get with the present public school system in SC?

I mean, until the average kid has a decent education they're behind from the get-go.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 23,910 times
I'm black and I love living in the South and there are plenty of mixed couples and biracial children too. I'm a preschool teacher and there are mixed couple with biracial children at my school. Do your homework and figure out where you want to live. I like the Carolina Forest area but depending on where you live you can notice the color line more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area