Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:41 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
We don't have to display ourselves like they do in Altanta, GA and other places.
Ya know, I have found this with all races since moving down here. I was back up in NYC a few weeks ago and it brought back that sense that everyone was showing off or trying to out-do each other. It was refreshing coming home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,623 times
I am so appreciative of all of the discerning comments. I relocated here early this year, with my young adult daughter. The area has such tremendous potential. Yes, I now love this 'low-country' area. (I would love to share my experiences in another forum). I do hope that many of us, 'saved' African-Americans, would simply come & stay!! Yes, I said 'saved', because it is not an area for the 'unprotected' or immature. We do, however, need to come & re-claim many lost inheritances.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,046 times
i need help i am from California born and raised. About to retire and looking for a retirement community and the weather there is perfect in comparison to California with a lower cost of living. But, I do not want to go back in time where blacks and whites know there place. that good ole boy does not work for me. I am looking in the Myrtle Beach, Carolina Forest area. Going through the demographics there appears to be 13% blacks and 76% white not racially equal is it? I also having been trying to find one black realtor for this area and no luck finding one, what gives?

Old 05-27-2014, 03:16 PM

790 posts, read 1,619,831 times
Given that blacks make up about 12.3% of the US population, the demographic mix of Carolina Forest would seem to be about average. I guess whether it's "equal" depends on one's point of view.

A possible source for finding a black realtor might be: scachamber.com It's not specific to Myrtle Beach, but they might be able to point you in the right direction. I know that there are black realtors here...I've observed them showing houses that are for sale. I do not believe that there are agencies that are predominately black. I did a search for agents in Atlantic Beach (known as the Black Pearl) and nothing comes up and that's where I thought I might find a predominately black agency.

One other option would be to contact one of our Horry County Council members who is black...he may be able to help you as well. http://www.horrycounty.org/Council/JamesRFrazier

I think most people find that blacks and whites, generally, respect each other in MB and there are no major problems. There is a good ole boy network especially in politics but it doesn't effect one's daily life. I haven't observed situations where people should "know their place."

However, based upon your comments, moving to the south might not be the best option for you if you come with a preconceived notion based on your experience in CA. SC is NOT CA...it's a very conservative/red state. Several posters in this forum over the past few years that have moved here from the west coast have not been happy for a variety of reasons that are not race related. They've been disappointed with the politics and lifestyle changes that have been required. They haven't liked the way that things are slow to change and the difficulty they've had finding more liberal minded friends. They haven't liked the lack of bike paths, city parks, public transportation, etc. That infrastructure is minimal (one reason taxes are lower) and when one is used to it and expects it, then life is not a enjoyable.

Have you actually been to Myrtle Beach? If not, plan on spending a week or so here just looking around. Don't go to the beach...don't go into "vacation mode"...just spend time evaluating the area by visiting the neighborhoods, the shopping areas, the parks, etc. to see if you like what you see. Buy the local paper every day and read about what's going on and the local issues.

Best of luck finding the right retirement area.

Last edited by CTyankee54; 05-27-2014 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-01-2014, 08:44 AM

65 posts, read 109,743 times
Default wut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elezy View Post
I also having been trying to find one black realtor for this area and no luck finding one, what gives?
You want to avoid a place with racism, yet you aren't comfortable with realtors of other races?

Old 06-01-2014, 09:36 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elezy View Post
i need help i am from California born and raised. About to retire and looking for a retirement community and the weather there is perfect in comparison to California with a lower cost of living. But, I do not want to go back in time where blacks and whites know there place. that good ole boy does not work for me. I am looking in the Myrtle Beach, Carolina Forest area. Going through the demographics there appears to be 13% blacks and 76% white not racially equal is it? I also having been trying to find one black realtor for this area and no luck finding one, what gives?
Not sure why you are so focused on race, but it took me about 2 seconds to find a realtor who appears to meet your "criteria." I'm sure I could find more people that you might approve of, but as you mentioned, the weather is perfect and I have better things to do with my time - like go to the beach!

Irene.Armstrong

Old 06-01-2014, 03:59 PM

5,276 posts, read 6,208,246 times
In my experience- which may or may not be typical- you might have better luck finding black professionals in Conway. It is the county seat so it has most of the county offices and main offices for some of the utilities. They have the County Courthouse, district offices for Horry County Schools & pretty much either the main branch or a satellite for every bank in the county. Also Conway Hospital and all its satellite clinics/offices are locate in various portions of Conway and Aynor.

Carolina Forrest attracts mostly transplants so it does not have the benefit of existing black communities like Conway or Myrtle Beach would. If you join a black church or are in a sorority/fraternity you will find the people you are looking for pretty quickly.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,495 times
I am a young black professional that was relocated to Myrtle Beach by my Corporation. I came from Dallas where there were a plethora of black professionals. I also work for a Fortune 500. I've been living here in Myrtle Beach for over 3 years, and I have only met two other black professionals. It's as if we don't exist down here. To your point I also don't see many professional blacks which could explain the stares I often receive when I'm at a nice restaurant, or venue that I'm used to being at. Although very beautiful, I wouldn't recommend SC yet alone Myrtle Beach.

Old 06-26-2015, 06:11 AM

56 posts, read 61,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLady_83 View Post
I am a young black professional that was relocated to Myrtle Beach by my Corporation. I came from Dallas where there were a plethora of black professionals. I also work for a Fortune 500. I've been living here in Myrtle Beach for over 3 years, and I have only met two other black professionals. It's as if we don't exist down here. To your point I also don't see many professional blacks which could explain the stares I often receive when I'm at a nice restaurant, or venue that I'm used to being at. Although very beautiful, I wouldn't recommend SC yet alone Myrtle Beach.
I get what you mean. I am moving there in a few days and there aren't many hispanics around for me.

Last edited by Heartburnkid; 06-26-2015 at 06:37 AM..

Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLady_83 View Post
Truthfully, there aren't a plethora of any kind of professionals in the Myrtle Beach area due to the nature of the local economy. As someone said earlier, you'd do a little better in Conway and certainly in Florence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area