Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 05:21 AM

1,126 posts, read 1,721,418 times

Advertisements

Hi Vrexy.
I talked with ranger Mike at the end of the summer, and he told me that- at that time- there was some discussion about whether or not to use the "same footprint" for the new facility or whether it should/would be redesigned. Then I heard later that there was also some talk of changing the location of the new building, though frankly I don't see why they would do that unless there is going to be some change in the ed. center's program focus.
I don't know when you were last at the park, but there has been some significant loss of trees and habitat due to the succession high water events which inundated some of the area with salt water for rather long periods. I notice it particularly when heading north to the large pavilion/campground/beach access lot- the loss of pines is significant. Its possible that someone is thinking that using some part of that newly cleared area would be a good idea.
I've been unable to get out there for some time, but hope to get back and talk to Ranger Mike sometime this month; will post any feedback from him when I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 06:08 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,677,944 times
Busydesk, thanks so much for your reply. I haven't been there in so long that I can't even remember the last time I was there. I really should go back soon. I love it there! So sad to hear about the loss of so many pine trees. Do let me know if you hear anything else, and I will do the same.

Thanks so much!

Old 01-05-2017, 08:55 AM

120 posts, read 227,243 times
Busydesk, also want to thank you for your info! We are moving down sometime this spring/summer and Huntington Beach Start Park was our favorite spot. Hopefully it will be rebuilt again soon so everyone can once again enjoy it.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdecamp View Post
Busydesk, also want to thank you for your info! We are moving down sometime this spring/summer and Huntington Beach Start Park was our favorite spot. Hopefully it will be rebuilt again soon so everyone can once again enjoy it.
Are you the photographer? I think you are. If so, I remember you (hope I'm right!) and look forward to seeing more of your wonderful pictures. Regardless, best wishes on your upcoming move!

Edit - just looked at your previous posts, and yes, you are who I remember! Lovely photos!

Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 PM

vrexy, I don't post photos, so I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone else. I don't take anything worth posting, I'm afraid!
Will keep y'all posted on the ed center progress as I can get information. There is a lot more to Huntington than just that facility, but it was a really big part of many folks' experiences and its surely missed.

Old 01-05-2017, 01:33 PM

gdecamp,
The park is still open for business! Do come down and hang around; the ed center is the only thing that's no longer in service.
And I see that I misread vrexy's post and it was you she was asking about photography, not I. (insert sheepish expression) I didn't catch on until after I hit send.

Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
vrexy, I don't post photos, so I'm afraid you've mistaken me for someone else. I don't take anything worth posting, I'm afraid!
Will keep y'all posted on the ed center progress as I can get information. There is a lot more to Huntington than just that facility, but it was a really big part of many folks' experiences and its surely missed.
I was actually responding to gdecamp. Sorry for the confusion. I think I quoted his post in my response, but maybe that didn't work as I intended. gdecamp is a photographer and takes some amazing pics, check out his page. But thanks for responding to me and do keep all of us posted on updates about the park when you can.

Oh, now I see your next comment! LOL! That whole exchange was pretty funny!

Old 01-05-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Are you the photographer? I think you are. If so, I remember you (hope I'm right!) and look forward to seeing more of your wonderful pictures. Regardless, best wishes on your upcoming move!

Edit - just looked at your previous posts, and yes, you are who I remember! Lovely photos!
Yes and thanks very much! Looking forward to it!

Old 01-05-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
gdecamp,
The park is still open for business! Do come down and hang around; the ed center is the only thing that's no longer in service.
And I see that I misread vrexy's post and it was you she was asking about photography, not I. (insert sheepish expression) I didn't catch on until after I hit send.
Yes I have walked around the park with my wife! We are coming down again to speak with our builder on 2/2 for the week and for sure I will get to Huntington Beach State Park while there!

Pretty funny set of responses as well, for a minute there I was lost! lol

Old 01-06-2017, 08:39 PM

...lately I stay lost, that's one reason I've not been to the park lately...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: