Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 04:26 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,649,902 times

Advertisements

Good morning all!

Well it's finally come! We are going to leave upstate NY behind! We have narrowed it down to 4 areas. Surfside/Murrell's Inlet, Greenville, SC, Savannah, GA or Clearwater Beach, FL. We are most familiar with Surfside due to the fact we've been camping at Pirateland for the last 19 years. We have been looking at jobs in all these areas. I have been a school bus dispatcher/router/driver since 86. Hubby was a ready mix concrete dispatcher and now sigh...works at Wally World as construction here tanked. He can make a move to another store after working there 6 months, that puts us at October to move.

Our youngest graduates this month from high school. She's going to school at Savannah College of Art & Design. Our older kids(mid-20's) both live in FL. We want to be closer to all of them. That's why this area is still in the running. We like it, but I am concerned with all you have said about work there. I figure if I spend the next few months applying for work there, I may find a job before I get there. I have all the study materials to change over my CDL to SC and the requirements to drive a school bus there again. I do have a degree in hospitality and tourism management to fall back on also if need be.

How are things in the area in terms of jobs these days. I know I'd read it was not good back a bit ago. The other thing is the amount of traffic and congestion. We nixed the Carolina Forest area after spending two weeks in the area last year-it was horrible over that way. We decided the southern end was a better fit for us.

So give me some fresh advice. We are going to look for a 2000 sq ft home about 200K-when our house sells here it's paid off. The rest I am putting away for a nest egg to build on. I am not a huge fan of HOA's but if we do have to, I want the least restrictive I can find. You all scared me with horror stories on them to not want to be in one. Also I know hurricane insurance is much higher on the east side of the inter-coastal. So that's a thing too to keep in mind.

Now off and running this month to get graduation done and packing up everything we can to get the house on the market by July 1st!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 10:54 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,152,385 times
South Carolina is definitely going to be the cheapest on your list.

I'm sorry, what is Wally World?

Savannah and Greenville are inland, your other options are on the beach.

The Tampa area (Clearwater) is going to have the best opportunity for jobs.

In most resort destinations, gov't jobs are going to locals first, lots of nepotism involved.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
South Carolina is definitely going to be the cheapest on your list.

I'm sorry, what is Wally World?

Savannah and Greenville are inland, your other options are on the beach.

The Tampa area (Clearwater) is going to have the best opportunity for jobs.

In most resort destinations, gov't jobs are going to locals first, lots of nepotism involved.
Wally World= Walmart.

Savannah is not far from the coast over to Tybee Island-took me about 40 minutes from Pooler the two time I drove out. Greenville is booming with jobs from what we hear. A good friend tells us we really should consider Charleston, SC too.

As for Tampa area, I am not sold on FL. Great for vacation, but I can't see myself living there. Unless I could find a job that matches my skills.

I am not worried about another gov't job. I've personally had enough working under NYS Civil Service. I have a very bitter taste in my mouth right now after getting turned down for a job where it would have been a lateral move for a guy who hasn't got any background for the job.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:35 PM

40 minutes to the beach is inland.

Charleston may be out of your price range.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
40 minutes to the beach is inland.

Charleston may be out of your price range.
I am not looking in the city proper, but outside of it's boundary. We don't like HOA's. So anywhere we go, we'll be looking for a home that's a little further out.

And to me, 40 mins to the beach is nothing, it takes that long just to go 11 miles in our area due to traffic congestion.

I've been getting real estate links from the MLS and agents. There are houses out there in our price. I don't want a new home-I hate particle board. I want a tried and true plywood and Doug fir home. Probably built pre-1990.

Since my late parents were native to NC/VA and all my family is there, this would be close enough to visit on weekend trips.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post

I've been getting real estate links from the MLS and agents. There are houses out there in our price. I don't want a new home-I hate particle board. I want a tried and true plywood and Doug fir home. Probably built pre-1990.

Keep in mind if you pick anywhere near the ocean or water, a pre 1990s home is going to cost you more in insurance than a newer home. Possibly several thousand dollars a year price difference.

Old 06-06-2016, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind if you pick anywhere near the ocean or water, a pre 1990s home is going to cost you more in insurance than a newer home. Possibly several thousand dollars a year price difference.
That's why I am thinking on the other side of the intercoastal. Not wanting to have my house go out to sea. Do you know of a builder there you can recommend to look at? We'd seen Beazer when we were down last again. But if I remember, most of the construction was particle board.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:19 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,137,694 times
Quote:
That's why I am thinking on the other side of the intercoastal. Not wanting to have my house go out to sea. Do you know of a builder there you can recommend to look at? We'd seen Beazer when we were down last again. But if I remember, most of the construction was particle board.
Had you look at Conway? There are many older homes under $200K which are not in HOA's.

Most new construction will use particle board where it is allowed by code, such as sub-flooring. Most moldings are fiber board. Real plywood is very expensive.

Old 06-06-2016, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Had you look at Conway? There are many older homes under $200K which are not in HOA's.

Most new construction will use particle board where it is allowed by code, such as sub-flooring. Most moldings are fiber board. Real plywood is very expensive.
We haven't really looked at Conway-only because we've heard there's some areas to avoid. And while I know areas can have crime, drugs, etc I want to make sure we aren't put smack dab into the middle of one place because a real estate agent needed a sale. I do have a friend who has lived in Conway for the last 25 years. He loves it. Another is a long time teacher in North Myrtle Beach who has been there since 1987.

To me a 45 min drive really isn't that long as were we live the roads are so congested it takes that long to get on the main drag to go to our local mall at times.

Also another question that came to mind while I was at work. What is the cost of electric there these days? And do folks normally have bottle tank gas or do some areas have natural gas that comes from the utility underground?

Old 06-07-2016, 03:25 AM

13,380 posts, read 27,137,694 times
Quote:
Also another question that came to mind while I was at work. What is the cost of electric there these days? And do folks normally have bottle tank gas or do some areas have natural gas that comes from the utility underground?
I'll let the local folks answer about the cost of electricity. There are some areas of Myrtle Beach which have natural gas, but many houses use propane for fireplaces. The natural gas is mainly used for cooking, hot water and fireplaces, but not the furnace. The heat normally comes from a heat pump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area