Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 04:39 AM

25 posts, read 27,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'll let the local folks answer about the cost of electricity. There are some areas of Myrtle Beach which have natural gas, but many houses use propane for fireplaces. The natural gas is mainly used for cooking, hot water and fireplaces, but not the furnace. The heat normally comes from a heat pump.
Can someone explain the diff between a heat pump and a furnace( like we are used to up north)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 05:55 AM

33 posts, read 72,118 times
Hi,
We're from the north as well. I googled the difference. "Heat Pump vs. Furnace: Heat Production

Most people are more familiar with furnaces than heat pumps. A furnace generates heat in a traditional way by burning oil or natural gas and sending the resulting heat into the home. Furnaces can also be powered by electricity.

Heat pumps don’t generate heat from a fuel source. Instead, they use electricity and refrigerant to transfer heat from outdoor air to the inside. Essentially, when in heating mode, heat pumps work like an air conditioner in reverse. In fact, they even double as an air conditioner in the summer when in cooling mode."

That being said, some communities have a heat pump, but natural gas will kick in after a certain point. Others have true natural gas. We live in Emmens, I have heard some of the early homes do use a heat pump/natural gas combo.

Ours is a full natural gas furnace. When you speak w/the different builders &/or realtor, that is one of the questions we had asked. Here is a link (I couldn't find an updated list), that we used when we first started looking.

http://www.pawleysislandonline.com/i...naturalgas.pdf

It is a list of natural gas communities in the Grand Strand.

When you read the spec sheets for a development, it should state whether or not it contains a "heat pump" or furnace. Good luck!!

Old 06-07-2016, 07:10 AM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy1S View Post
Ours is a full natural gas furnace. When you speak w/the different builders &/or realtor, that is one of the questions we had asked. Here is a link (I couldn't find an updated list), that we used when we first started looking.

http://www.pawleysislandonline.com/i...naturalgas.pdf

It is a list of natural gas communities in the Grand Strand.

When you read the spec sheets for a development, it should state whether or not it contains a "heat pump" or furnace. Good luck!!
Thanks Tracy for a very good explanation. I think a natural gas furnace feels warmer than a heat pump's, as the air comes out at a higher temperature.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:21 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,647,029 times
Good afternoon everyone!

We have found a home we are interested in. It's in a development called Pecan Grove in Conway. I know only a bit about the area as we always stayed in Surfside for the last 18 years. Does anyone have any information about that area? I'd like to be away from the beach areas as I know the hurricane insurance is a issue on the east side of the inter-coastal. I love Surfside, don't get me wrong, but worried about storms and such.

Who supplies utilities for that area? Cable? Electric? On a 2600sq ft home there, what is the best guestimate about how much those will run? How about home owner insurance? Is it still high there? Do you know of flood zone maps I should look into?

I have found that I can get a bus driving job again in SC because all the districts are hurting for drivers. Hubby can transfer to Walmart down there after October-he's got to be here for 6 months. At least it's a job and we'll be ok and see how things go from there. Spending my holiday weekend packing. He's working and I figure I might as well get it all decluttered and packed.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:38 PM

790 posts, read 1,624,397 times
We have friends that bought a house off of 701 about 6 miles south of Pecan Grove and they love the area...very quiet where they are (http://www.chicora.com/real-estate/c...d-at-keysfield). You might want to check that area out as well. It's a little further away from Lake Busbee which is still up in the air whether it's going to be maintained or let revert back to a swamp. The power company owns it and does not want to maintain it now that they decommissioned the power plant, but the city of Conway is trying to determine if they can afford to keep it up.

Our friend's house is smaller than yours but I think their insurance runs about $700/year. When you're ready, PM me and I'll give you the name of our agent. They are not in a flood zone (be sure and check to see if Pecan Grove is or not) so they don't have to carry flood insurance (about $400/year). Do a search on this forum for flood zone maps...there are many links to flood zone maps posted by other people.

Cable/internet...best bet is Horry Telephone Coop (HTC). Time Warner may also be available but HTC is local and much easier to deal with. Price will depend on how many channels/premium channels you want. Our cable/internet/landline bill is about $175/month. We do not have any premium channels (HBO, etc) but we do have a sports package and the full lineup of channels.

Electric...not sure but it's either Horry Electric or Santee Cooper. Santee Cooper is about 20% lower on KWH but you get one or the other...not a choice of one vs another. How much you'll pay will depend on your heating and cooling habits. Our house is similar size to the sq ft you asked about and our electric bill (Horry Electric) averages about $180/month...higher in the winter, lower in the more temperate months.

One of our friends drives a school bus (special needs)...tough hours and sometimes a tough job with the kids, but he seems to enjoy it and says the benefits are pretty good for SC.

Old 07-04-2016, 03:38 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,647,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
We have friends that bought a house off of 701 about 6 miles south of Pecan Grove and they love the area...very quiet where they are (http://www.chicora.com/real-estate/c...d-at-keysfield). You might want to check that area out as well. It's a little further away from Lake Busbee which is still up in the air whether it's going to be maintained or let revert back to a swamp. The power company owns it and does not want to maintain it now that they decommissioned the power plant, but the city of Conway is trying to determine if they can afford to keep it up.

Our friend's house is smaller than yours but I think their insurance runs about $700/year. When you're ready, PM me and I'll give you the name of our agent. They are not in a flood zone (be sure and check to see if Pecan Grove is or not) so they don't have to carry flood insurance (about $400/year). Do a search on this forum for flood zone maps...there are many links to flood zone maps posted by other people.

Cable/internet...best bet is Horry Telephone Coop (HTC). Time Warner may also be available but HTC is local and much easier to deal with. Price will depend on how many channels/premium channels you want. Our cable/internet/landline bill is about $175/month. We do not have any premium channels (HBO, etc) but we do have a sports package and the full lineup of channels.

Electric...not sure but it's either Horry Electric or Santee Cooper. Santee Cooper is about 20% lower on KWH but you get one or the other...not a choice of one vs another. How much you'll pay will depend on your heating and cooling habits. Our house is similar size to the sq ft you asked about and our electric bill (Horry Electric) averages about $180/month...higher in the winter, lower in the more temperate months.

One of our friends drives a school bus (special needs)...tough hours and sometimes a tough job with the kids, but he seems to enjoy it and says the benefits are pretty good for SC.
Thanks for the information. Did a bit more poking around and the HOA isn't as restrictive, but still trying to see about if they allow a camper or not. We may stick to finding a place out of a HOA that we can have the camper at.

Sounds like utilities are close to what we pay now. So no real change there, although one will be in college and no more long showers/ lights left on.

So for now we are focusing on homes in Conway, Loris, Surfside Beach, Murrell's and Pawley's. The later we know the area best.

I saw on the Horry County school district site they are looking for drivers. Good to know. But my Class B CDL can open up a few other jobs that I may think about-driving for Coastal Carolina might be a idea also. Or I can work in the campgrounds there as I do have a degree in hospitality and tourism and over 40 years camping experience.

Thanks for the tips, please keep them coming. I spent the weekend sorting and packing to get the house ready for showing. I want this to go quick as I'd like to be there before the Christmas holidays.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:03 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,921,856 times
NY2SC,
Heat pumps are used in SC because the winters aren't bad down here at all.
Even in the middle of winter, the day time temps are in the 50s, and the winter is short.
Heat pumps are superior as far as air conditioning. Cost wise.
That is why so many people have the heat pumps in South Carolina.
Just to let you know.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:06 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,426,511 times
Quote:
Thanks Tracy for a very good explanation. I think a natural gas furnace feels warmer than a heat pump's, as the air comes out at a higher temperature.
Coastal / Lowcountry South Carolina has two seasons.. January and February... and summer... ( joke)...I have a number of rental units in the Charleston area ... that are on heat pumps alone... and have never had any issues or complaints about it from tenants ... inexpensive to run and very reliable.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:13 PM

13,375 posts, read 27,081,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingMom View Post
How about home owner insurance? Is it still high there? Do you know of flood zone maps I should look into?

I have found that I can get a bus driving job again in SC because all the districts are hurting for drivers. Hubby can transfer to Walmart down there after October-he's got to be here for 6 months.
Congratulation on finding job possibilities.

Estimates for flood insurance at: www.floodsmart.gov . Try some sample addresses, which may be easier than navigating maps in the Horry County Flood Zone Maps: http://www.horrycounty.org/OnlineServices/FEMAFloodMaps .

As long as you are near the coast, you can expect to pay a premium for hurricane insurance. The Realtor should help with that, but around here Farm Bureau is among the cheapest.

Old 07-05-2016, 04:12 PM

120 posts, read 227,033 times
Quote:
Estimates for flood insurance at: www.floodsmart.gov . Try some sample addresses, which may be easier than navigating maps in the Horry County Flood Zone Maps: FEMA Flood Maps .

As long as you are near the coast, you can expect to pay a premium for hurricane insurance. The Realtor should help with that, but around here Farm Bureau is among the cheapest.
That flood insurance website is very nice, thanks for posting that! :-)

Only thing I am wondering though is that it is for rates/claims up until 2014 or so it says (*National Flood Insurance Program premiums are reflective of policyholders in December 2014). There was a major flood last year so I wonder if that changed these rates at all? Not sure if you wold know that.

Wife and I are looking in Crystal River Plantation, coming down in August to tale another look and feel the heat! :-)

Thanks for those websites!!

George
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area