Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 10:05 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,399,203 times

Advertisements

I posted a little while ago that I was offered a part time position in a different city. As soon as our house sells we are moving within 30 miles of that job. We had been hoping to be in our new house by now, but things are not falling into place.

I told my current job about the offer before I had an official offer. Prior to this, they had been unwilling to work with me about letting me work a more flexible schedule. I wanted to work part time, or 75% time, or telecommute, SOMETHING. Since the end of May, I had hit nothing but brick wall anytime I wanted to try to find a solution (and these were things that were mentioned to me to look into )

Well, once I announced I was leaving, they offered me a job that would be 50% time, and a little change in my duties that would let me get involved in a higher level working on program development.

The new job will ultimately be a 30 minute commute 4 days a week, and my current job will be a 1 hour commute 3 days a week. Salaries are pretty comparable.

What would you do? I am 90% sure I have my mind made up what I am going to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 10:57 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,415,850 times
I'd go old job and turn it into 1-2 days commute in a couple months.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,032,524 times
I think I'd take the new job. I read somewhere most people who stay at an old job when given a counter offer usually leave within a year anyways. You started looking because you weren't happy right?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 PM

7 posts, read 8,277 times
I agree with beera. Less commute, equal salary, more days = more $$ right? If you don't like it, and you leave the old job on good terms, you could always potentially go back.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I think I'd take the new job. I read somewhere most people who stay at an old job when given a counter offer usually leave within a year anyways. You started looking because you weren't happy right?
I started looking because I wanted to spend more time at home with my family - I have a 2 year old and had twins in November. I don't want to quit working, but working full time is too much right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wharner87 View Post
I agree with beera. Less commute, equal salary, more days = more $$ right? If you don't like it, and you leave the old job on good terms, you could always potentially go back.
Yeah, there is that. But I am trying to figure out child care right now, and the extra day may make it a little less. But the income is not super important. My husband and I are fine with his salary only, mine is just extra, but i need to make sure my salary covers at least child care plus $200+ extra a month to make it worth it.

maybe, I could come back, but not part time, they are really going on a limb for me here to make it work and keep me around.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,032,524 times
Well then it sounds like you want to stay, which is fine. What does your gut tell you?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Well then it sounds like you want to stay, which is fine. What does your gut tell you?
To be honest, I am really torn with this decision. Usually, I have a strong feeling one way or the other, but this time, it seems like no choice is the right choice.

I want to stay, but also feel like the other opportunity would be a good choice.

My husbands opinion is he will support me whatever makes me happy, but I don't know which will be the best choice.

There are good things about either position, and cons as well.

I think it would be easier if I could get some decisions made about child care and working hours for the new job.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:37 PM

219 posts, read 432,567 times
I would be concerned about the fact that they weren't willing to budge before you gave notice. Do you really want to continue on with them after that?

Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM

570 posts, read 1,733,554 times
why you should not accept a counter offer after you quit

Is accepting a counteroffer ever a good idea?

Stick to your guns! Why you should never accept a counter offer after your resignation | Features | LondonlovesBusiness.com

Old 08-19-2013, 04:40 PM

769 posts, read 979,874 times
Well here is how I see it. IF you stay with the current company they could change their mind in six months or so and have it be a different way. Take the new job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment