Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:21 PM

3 posts, read 27,432 times

Advertisements

*I spose there are many topics like that here, but anyway*
Hello everyone! We're two student girls from Russia seeking a job in Myrtle Beach from the end of May till the end of September. Any ordinary-student-summer-job, you know - waitress, hostess, sales assistant.. The problem is - there are two weeks left, and we still get no response All those job-seeking websites - summerjobs.com, j1jobs.com, the whole lot of them - are of no use: 2-3 positions that look as if they were posted 3 years ago and successfully forgotten - no reply. Tried googling hotels/restaurants of the town and sending applications by e-mail - no reply
Please help!.. Or maybe there's somebody here who can employ two nice and diligent girls, um?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:39 PM

26 posts, read 117,334 times
Usually restaurants are not going to hire anyone until the spring/summer season rolls around. March-August. You probably won't get any replies until it gets closer to the busy season, no businesses are interested in hiring right now because its so slow here. I can pretty much garuntee if you were to come here without a job lined up you could find one very easily. Resaurants are always hiring summer help whether you are a hostess or server. Also, many clubs and bars hire shot girls and cocktail waitresses (are you and your friend 21 years old?) I hope this info helps. Don't get too discouraged...there are lots of jobs available here during tourist season and I know a lot of girls from Russia who have come here in the summer and found waitressing jobs easily! : )

Old 02-01-2008, 04:03 PM

Thank you, BeachTeach07! )
Yes, we do realise that finding a job right on the place is much easier, but if one doesn't receive a job offer until March, it's impossible to get a visa and arrive in fact! )
Btw, I thought 18 is the.. hm.. legal age. We're 20 actually )

Old 02-01-2008, 07:31 PM

882 posts, read 3,537,044 times
I would suggest you look at the Hard Rock Park or possibly contact Burroughs and Chapin for more information.

The part you need to worry about is actually getting sponsorship, if it is still needed, to get your J1.

I usually employed 40 students over the summer months. They were from Bulgaria, Russia, Romania, Columbia, and the Czech Republic mainly.

I wish I could point you in the right direction.. Actually, I will check with a friend who manages a HUGE buffet restaurant and see if he needs anyone.

Is it a requirement that you have an offer in writing before you can apply for your VISA?

Old 02-02-2008, 05:29 AM

We already have a sponsorship (if it is what I'm thinking of ))) But it's a must that we search the job by ourselves. And yes, it's a requirement to have an offer in writing
Thank you for the suggestins, rrufast! I'll try them out.

Old 02-02-2008, 05:38 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,774,462 times
Go to Broadway on the Beach resturants. I've noticed a lot of them hire Russian employees. Broadway at the Beach

Old 02-02-2008, 06:35 AM

You can serve alchohol at 18 but cannont pour drinkings (or consume them) until you are 21. So you could be a server at a restaurant that has alcohol but not a bartender.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:36 AM

Sorry for all the miss-spellings above...I just woke up : )

Old 02-02-2008, 02:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
News 13 did a story last night on seasonal workers & trouble getting visas.

US reaches H-2B cap for seasonal workers
Friday, Feb 01, 2008 - 11:57 PM
US reaches H-2B cap for seasonal workers - Search - South Carolina Now (SCNow.com) (http://www.scnow.com/midatlantic/scp/search.apx.-content-articles-BTW-2008-02-01-0024.html - broken link)

By Thema Ponton
E-mail | Biography
If you spend much time "out and about" during tourist season in Myrtle Beach, then you've probably been served by a young person from overseas.

Businesses like hotels rely heavily on the season workers through the H-2B visa program.

But the U.S. government has put a limit on the total number of workers that can be hired and local businesses said that's creating a worker shortage on the strand.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services Department (USCIS) said businesses can only hire 66,000 overseas workers for temporary or seasonal work, each year.

And since they have accepted all the applications they are going to take, local businesses say the annual cap does not permit the necessary number of seasonal workers.

Renelle Wolff, training officer for Lack's Beach Service says without a sufficient supply of H-2B visa workers, dozens of experienced lifeguards will not be returning to the beach.

Wolff said, “It means that other people will have to step up in their place to be supervisors and which will require more training.”

Wolff said that's because most of the H-2B visa workers are not students, but older, more mature, and better trained.

Wolff said, “They've been trained either in other countries such as Australia and they compete will in our competitions and they just are great workers and we don't have to worry about their English skills dealing with the kids from the UK as well as Australia.”

Frans Mustert, President and CEO of Oceana Resorts said his biggest concern is that the hospitality industry, which is an industry that likes to exceed expectations, may only be able to meet expectations.

Mustert said, “It’s going to be critical, we had over a hundred H-2B visa workers last year and we've got to provide the same services for the same amount of people.”

Wolff said the lack of H-2B workers is going to force her to refocus her efforts when it comes to hiring and recruiting, but said the 8 1/2 miles of beach they protect will be safe.

Lack's Beach Service is currently looking for lifeguards, you can log on to their website at USA Lifeguard Jobs, Myrtle Beach Lifeguard Jobs, Lifeguards, Lack's Beach Service, North Beach Service, Myrtle Beach Lifeguards to find out how to apply.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:55 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Wow, yes I was reading this today. Quite an interesting article in the Sun News.
The lifeguards are going to be short unless there is an extention.
The hotels are going to be short of help also.
I guess it is a good location for kids in the states to go to for jobs this summer.
I see that Hard Rock is taking auditions for acting, singing, and the like.
How exciting........I would have loved a summer job singing way-back-when...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area