Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 03:31 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,039 times

Advertisements

Getting ready for our retirement home search in the Carolinas and we are torn between St James in Southport and Pawley's Island, Litchfield beach area. Both areas are beautiful and was wondering which is more acceptable of retirees from the North coming down to live. Can anyone tell us if you had looked at both places and what made you decide on Pawley's Island area? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 09:21 AM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Getting ready for our retirement home search in the Carolinas and we are torn between St James in Southport and Pawley's Island, Litchfield beach area.... Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
There is a plethora of communities in Litchfield Beach area in the approximate price range of St James. (I searched in the $400-550K range.) DeBordieu Colony in Georgetown is gated with a country club and private oceanfront access.

Also look around Pawley's Plantation golf course and the Litchfield Country Club, Founders Club and Heritage Country Clubs. Litchfield Plantation also has new construction in that price range.

They are all out of my price-range so I can't comment on acceptance of northerners. However, De Bordieu Colony sounds like a smaller version of St James.

If I were looking for myself, I would look seriously at Seasons of Prince Creek West in the $250-325K range.

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-28-2015 at 09:47 AM..

Old 03-28-2015, 01:47 PM

Thanks Golden

Old 03-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Hey Golden, maybe you can give me some insight in the Real Estate Taxes comparison for Pawley's vs. St James. Looked up a number of houses in Pawley's around 500k and taxes are only around 1700 per year. What is the ball park $$ on taxes in St James for a 500k house per year??

Old 03-29-2015, 12:22 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,100 times
Biscman, I couldn't tell if you have actually visited either location from your post, so forgive me if I' ve mistakenly presumed that you have not actually been 'on site' at either....
St. James is a MASSIVE development. There are some sections with just a few homes, and others that are quite densely developed. It ( as a whole) isn't near anything, so groceries and amenities are significant distance in rural environment. We were concerned about the spotty development planning and did not like the idea of having such a long way to go for needs like gas and groceries, particularly in winter when just about anything can happen weather-wise. When we drove through with our realtor, we definitely felt eyes on us at each stop and I will say that feeling of being' assessed' by the neighbors was a turn off.
The Pawleys area is closer to conveniences and (unfortunately) continues to grow at a surprising rate. Even in our short tenure we have been amazed at the increase in local traffic and the frequent pop-up of new businesses.
As PD will tell you, there is no shortage of retirees from the northern states in the southern end of the strand area, and for our part I have to say that we have found only good will toward us. Be aware, however, that SC living will be very different from what you know in NJ; if you haven't spent much time down here before, know that things get done on southern coastal living time so its to your advantage to not be in a hurry for anything.
We love it here, but it's not for everybody.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
What is the ball park $$ on taxes in St James for a 500k house per year??
Hello - I know that question is off-topic for the South Carolina Board. However, the easiest way to find the tax is to sample some houses for sale on Realtor.com. The tax is shown under the property history tab. I found two for sale in St James around that price, and the annual property taxes were $2556 and $2917. The rates are apparently reassessed every 3 years.

If you do the same exercise with properties in Pawley's Island, you get annual property taxes of $1100 to $1300. Big difference!

Last edited by goldenage1; 03-29-2015 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 11:38 AM

Busydesk, thank you very much for responding. I have visited both locations numerous times and your assessments are pretty accurate. Every year for past 20 years I go on a 12 man golf trip to Pawley's and we play True Blue and the other beautiful golf courses down there. Always go to Franks restaurant one of the nights as well. Great place. My wife has not been down to Pawley's but trusts my recommendations. She loves Southport and the quick drive to get to Southport from SJP and we have friends who live there as well. Real Estate taxes quite a bit less at Pawley's as well as some additional Tax advantages living in SC as well. Me personally, I can live anywhere South. SJP has a lot of clubs and activities the wife can join and not sure if Pawley's has similar??
I know there's tons of Northerners in SJP and wasn't sure the makeup of residents in Pawley's or Litchfield area.
I have received mixed messages on the snotty factor about keeping up with the Jones but those people I tend to just laugh at. Having worked down Wall Street for years I interacted with a lot of ego maniacs and theose type people do not impress me at all. If I sense someone is all about themselves or is trying to size me up I usually turn around and walk away. Drives my wife nuts. I guess being raised in Jersey city doesn't tolerate snob behavior. Wife definitely more sensitive but on the other hand there's snobs everywhere.
We used to live in Charlotte NC for 20 years so I am well aware of the "Pace" of getting things done and managing expectations. first couple of years I have to say were a struggle...

Appreciate your responding.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Biscman, I couldn't tell if you have actually visited either location from your post, so forgive me if I' ve mistakenly presumed that you have not actually been 'on site' at either....
St. James is a MASSIVE development. There are some sections with just a few homes, and others that are quite densely developed. It ( as a whole) isn't near anything, so groceries and amenities are significant distance in rural environment. We were concerned about the spotty development planning and did not like the idea of having such a long way to go for needs like gas and groceries, particularly in winter when just about anything can happen weather-wise. When we drove through with our realtor, we definitely felt eyes on us at each stop and I will say that feeling of being' assessed' by the neighbors was a turn off.
The Pawleys area is closer to conveniences and (unfortunately) continues to grow at a surprising rate. Even in our short tenure we have been amazed at the increase in local traffic and the frequent pop-up of new businesses.
As PD will tell you, there is no shortage of retirees from the northern states in the southern end of the strand area, and for our part I have to say that we have found only good will toward us. Be aware, however, that SC living will be very different from what you know in NJ; if you haven't spent much time down here before, know that things get done on southern coastal living time so its to your advantage to not be in a hurry for anything.
We love it here, but it's not for everybody.

Old 03-30-2015, 11:42 AM

Thanks buddy. I agree there is quite a difference, even when I look up homes on Zillow when they give a estimate of monthly payments on a house they show 450-500 a month for taxes on some homes. It didn't make sense to me as I was under impression Taxes in SJP were less than 3000 for a 500k house....Maybe there's additional taxes they didn't break down.

Appreciate your response

Jim

quOTE=goldenage1;39006596]Hello - I know that question is off-topic for the South Carolina Board. However, the easiest way to find the tax is to sample some houses for sale on Realtor.com. The tax is shown under the property history tab. I found two for sale in St James around that price, and the annual property taxes were $2556 and $2917. The rates are apparently reassessed every 3 years.

If you do the same exercise with properties in Pawley's Island, you get annual property taxes of $1100 to $1300. Big difference![/quote]

Old 03-30-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks buddy. I agree there is quite a difference, even when I look up homes on Zillow when they give a estimate of monthly payments on a house they show 450-500 a month for taxes on some homes. It didn't make sense to me as I was under impression Taxes in SJP were less than 3000 for a 500k house....Maybe there's additional taxes they didn't break down.
Or Zillow is wrong. Or maybe they are adding in a special fire district tax or trash tax.

At any rate, the wrinkle with South Carolina taxes is that they are much higher if you own a place as a second home versus a primary home. Primary homes are taxed at 20% of assesment, while second homes are taxed at 50 or 60% (??) of assessment.

Sorry I can't contribute more about the golf clubs or the snob factor. I just wish we had looked a little more seriously at South Carolina before we retired. The temperature was in the single digits in Sneads Ferry NC a few days last winter, and we had outside pipes break. My DH said "we didn't move far enough south"!

Old 03-30-2015, 04:07 PM

10 posts, read 15,499 times
Hi all,

Just thought I'd add my two cents here in the hope of helping. We looked for a long time to decide on the location for our retirement home. We finally purchased a lot to build in Pawleys. For us, the quaintness, beauty, golf courses, small town atmosphere, etc made it the right choice for us. We also liked the proximity to Charleston and Myrtle providing lots to do, but not in your back yard. We both golf also, so this area was perfect for us.

We looked around the Wilmingtn area extensively, but either the developments were too big or the locations were too remote. All our daily living needs are moments away in Pawleys. Our lot is in a small community which is what we like. We have a second home near Charleston in a large development and this atmosphere doesn't provide the privacy we're used to and cherish.

What works for us, may not be the answer for others. I just thougt I'd help out and give the reasoning we chose Pawleys. We haven't begun construction yet, so I can't say it was the right decision...yet, but we are looking forward to living in this beautiful environment.

I do hope this was helpful and good luck to those of you that are still in the decision making process. It isn't easy and unknowns are always difficult. I suppose we just have to go by what our heart tells us and proceed with joy and enthusiasm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area