Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 09:09 AM

10 posts, read 15,597 times

Advertisements

Happy to be of help Golden. You're picking a perfect time to investigate the SC coast. April is beautiful month in SC. We've spent many winters in the Summerville area. If this is somewhere you plan to visit, I can answer any questions you may have. Enjoy your trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 10:41 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,843,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawleysbound View Post
You're picking a perfect time to investigate the SC coast. April is beautiful month in SC...
April is a wonderful time to visit if you are a tourist. If you're contemplating a move, the better time to visit is the week of July 4th and the entire month of August. April will give you no clue what it's like to live here. If your idea of "getting out" is a shopping trip to Coastal Grand and dinner at Frank's, it really doesn't matter. If you prefer the beaches, walking, biking, fishing, kayaking, etc, then August will help you decide whether it's really the right place.

There's a real risk using any of the real estate websites to estimate property taxes. For years, there has been no relation between market value and assessed value. Several years ago, SC law was changed to use market value for tax calculation purposes. If you were to buy my house today, your tax bill would be considerably higher, because your bill would be calculated based on the price you pay for the property, while my last bill was based on the assessed value. New assessments are done every 5(?) years, I think, and they will gradually be increased to match market value, but they can increase no more than 15% per year, so it will take awhile. When the property sells, it immediately jumps to market value, which is assumed to be the selling price unless you can find a justifiable reason to appeal and have it lowered. Just saying....

Old 04-05-2015, 12:00 PM

10 posts, read 15,597 times
I agree PD. August is a brutal month in coastal SC?...very hot and humid. There are both beautiful and brutal months of the year no matter where you decide to live. We thought long and hard before we decided to build in Pawlyes. I wasn't sure if I could handle the hot humid summers. Everything is a give and take, so we decided that "yes", it is ultimately better than the snow and bitter cold of the winter northeastern months.

I mentioned April to Golden because it is truly beautiful in SC this time of year and this will give her a take on one of the beautiful coastal months. I did however forget to warn her of the Spring pollen....sorry Golden.

As I mentiond, we've spent the winter months near Charleston for the past 10 years so we've had the opportunity to evaluate the area, weather etc. We've also been there in the summer so know what it's like. It is hard to make the ultimate decision as to where to retire. We all know there is no utopia, so I'm hoping for the best and wish all others out there in the same predicament "the very best" also.

Old 04-06-2015, 03:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,511,103 times
Good info PawleyDude. Taxes on a 500k home?? Around 3000k a year? or more?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
April is a wonderful time to visit if you are a tourist. If you're contemplating a move, the better time to visit is the week of July 4th and the entire month of August. April will give you no clue what it's like to live here. If your idea of "getting out" is a shopping trip to Coastal Grand and dinner at Frank's, it really doesn't matter. If you prefer the beaches, walking, biking, fishing, kayaking, etc, then August will help you decide whether it's really the right place.

There's a real risk using any of the real estate websites to estimate property taxes. For years, there has been no relation between market value and assessed value. Several years ago, SC law was changed to use market value for tax calculation purposes. If you were to buy my house today, your tax bill would be considerably higher, because your bill would be calculated based on the price you pay for the property, while my last bill was based on the assessed value. New assessments are done every 5(?) years, I think, and they will gradually be increased to match market value, but they can increase no more than 15% per year, so it will take awhile. When the property sells, it immediately jumps to market value, which is assumed to be the selling price unless you can find a justifiable reason to appeal and have it lowered. Just saying....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area