Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 08:13 AM

10 posts, read 21,819 times

Advertisements

I just accepted a job in Myrtle Beach and will be moving in two weeks. I will be making $30,000. How is this salary for a single male in his early 20s? Below average? Normal? I am making $52,000 in Virginia, so I am worried about taking such a huge paycut. However, I am very exciting to be moving to SC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 AM

790 posts, read 1,622,555 times
To be candid, I don't know why one would voluntarily take such a huge salary cut at such a young age. But, be that as it may, $30K is not a lot of money to live on in MB although it's higher than many young people make. You're probably going to be paying at least $600 or more in rent. Electric runs about .13kwh which is higher than most areas of the country...don't know how that compares to the part of VA you're coming from. And my experience is that food runs about the same or slightly higher than other parts of the country. Those are the 3 biggest expenses for most people (besides taxes/insurance). So, compare that to what you're paying now and consider that you'll be making almost half of what you're making now. Then, you'll have your answer.

Your lifestyle will also have an impact on whether $30K will work for you. If you like to party, like the bar scene and travel a lot, you'll definitely have to find ways to stretch your dollars. If you're more the stay at home type, you'll have greater success living on that amount.

Good luck with your move!!

Old 11-27-2013, 11:23 AM

10 posts, read 21,819 times
I live near DC. A one bedroom apartment runs about $1400/month here. I know it's a big paycut. But I can't take living here any longer. It's miserable here. I have also secured a part-time job in Myrtle, so hopefully I will be making around $37,000 with that extra income.

Old 11-27-2013, 03:18 PM

253 posts, read 470,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova21 View Post
But I can't take living here any longer. It's miserable here.

I cannot speak to the income, but it sounds to me like the quality of your life will improve considerably by moving to the beach. I wish you the best in your new adventure!

Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 PM

538 posts, read 1,008,129 times
Cost of living is definitely cheaper than DC. But you're taking a huge cut. I think in the end, it will work out to be around the same "take home pay". Good luck with your new adventure in life. Curious...what kind of work will you be doing full & part time in MB?

Old 12-15-2013, 11:39 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
It is CHEAP to live in Myrtle Beach. You'll be fine on that salary.

Old 12-17-2013, 01:04 PM

312 posts, read 732,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It is CHEAP to live in Myrtle Beach. You'll be fine on that salary.
Is it really cheap to live here? Geez where have I been then? Hasn't been cheap for us?! Especially on that kind of salary....

Old 12-17-2013, 02:46 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveagrey1 View Post
Is it really cheap to live here? Geez where have I been then? Hasn't been cheap for us?! Especially on that kind of salary....
Yes, it is very inexpensive to live in Myrtle Beach.

Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,779,523 times
The only things less expensive are property taxes, auto insurance and probably house prices if you were planning to buy. Everything else is the same. Some people coming from other states even think property tax is high here but compared to most, it's not. Rent, food, entertainment and just about everything else costs the same as any metro area I've lived in so it is not "cheap". Can you live on $37,000? Yes as long as you don't have high car payments, a lot of debt etc...and live within your means.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:52 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,987 times
Hey guys I don't know what part of MB you are living in but this isn't cheap...not to live anywhere decent and crime free that is. Sure there are cheap places to rent, but you get what you pay for, cheap generally equals crime ridden and run down badly. Every thing my husband and I go to do costs money and usually big money. Depending on where you live, how much you are paying for rent and what you want to do in your free time, you may have a big wake up call, but depending on a lot of factors you will probably be okay. For what you get, rent is extremely high, in in most cases don't match what you get (granted there are some rare exceptions, esp when dealing with homes and town homes, they seem MUCH nicer then apartments to rent). I have noticed to get any thing decent, in a decent area you will pay $950 and up for the most part. To me that isn't cheap but it sure is cheaper then what you was paying out before, so to you that may be cheap.

Last edited by CarolinaDreams; 12-17-2013 at 07:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area