Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Food and going out to eat is not cheaper but I also dont know what you're comparing it to. I can go to NYC and eat for less or the same but salaries are much higher. Gas is lower than many states, property taxes are lower but no other taxes are lower. Most other taxes are higher because its a tourist area, especially sales tax. He's looking to rent anyway and rent here is not less than NJ or PA unless you get a place in a very bad area but then that's the same for those states. You can buy a condo on the beach now since the market dropped for even less than $150,000 but those prices were inflated to over $400,000 when the market was up. He's looking to rent so doesnt matter but even if you buy a condo on the beach here, the insurance and monthly fees are very expensive.

Just curious - when you say groceries are inexpensive, may I ask where you shop? I'd like to find a place cheaper here is why I ask. I find the food here to be more expensive than other states I shop in when I travel. Walmart is less expensive than Kroger or Lowes but it is in other states also, not just here. Thats even if you are willing to shop in Walmart. Thx

Why do you think Myrtle Beach has such an influx of residents from the Northeast? Because Myrtle Beach is so cheap. Do you really think all those Tri County, PA, MD, NoVa, MA, NJ flock here for any other reason?

Housing is the largest expense you'll pay for and Myrtle Beach is dirt cheap. Not just compared to NYC, because I had a corporate apartment there for five years but head to any area other than Hicksville, Middle America. Property taxes? My stepfather pays $11,000 a year on a modest house in New Jersey. My bestie pays $1100 per MONTH for a townhouse in Milwaukee.

As for inflated housing costs in the early to mid 2000s, they were inflated everywhere. A $400,000 condo in Myrtle Beach was $800,000 in Hilton Head.

Where did I shop? Kroger when I lived on Garden City Beach, the Pig when I lived in Market Common.

I don't like Walmart and never shopped there for groceries because I don't like the selection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2013, 03:04 PM

108 posts, read 227,631 times
The filet at Sea Blue was $49 the last time my husband ordered it - and he said it was the best steak he ever ate. (But it was those $15 glasses of wine that drove up the price of our evening). There really are many inexpensive places to eat with all the buy one get one deals advertised in the newspaper every day. I've never bothered eating at any of the buffets - way too much food for my taste. Overall cost of living really is so low compared to Massachusetts! My new house cost half of what it did up north and property taxes dropped several thousand dollars. Golf is also inexpensive - allowing me to play multiple rounds per week. Groceries are about the same - just need to shop the sales! And gasoline is ridiculously low compared to anywhere else. Add in the great weather and this really is paradise!

Old 12-18-2013, 03:32 PM

12,952 posts, read 18,813,886 times
$60 and $80 steak dinners are for birthdays and graduations and the like, like maybe twice a year if that. I'm always amused at how the people who say somewhere is expensive seem to be locked-in to an expensive mindset while those who say it's cheap are cheapest-thing-on-the-menu people, like me. Ever heard of baked chicken and water? People making $30,000 a year usually aren't asking if they can be going out to expensive restaurants on a routine basis and still make it.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 PM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,881,788 times
I agree $80 for steak is a once in awhile celebration dinner - but honestly I never saw $80 steak on any menu here. There are plenty of places to eat for less, especially this time of year. Rioz in Jan. & Feb. on Sundays normally does the buy 1 get 1 plus if you buy the Attractions book, there are lots of coupons in the book.

I came from NJ - my taxes are so much cheaper, my house was cheaper. There would be no way I could afford what I have here up there. However, food is more here, plus paying tax on clothes kills me. NJ doesn't have tax on clothes. Shopping for food here, I go were the sales are and use coupons.

If you are paying $1500 a month in rent here, you could get a whole house. I live in Carolina Forest and houses rent for less then that.

Old 12-19-2013, 07:07 AM

253 posts, read 470,695 times
Texans pride themselves on their bbq and steaks and you can find *cheaper* ones where I live in Central Texas. However, it is not at all uncommon to go to the *better* restaurants and drop a hundred bucks per person for steak, trimmings and drinks.

I don't think the north is the only area that is more expensive.

The saying here is "Everything is bigger in Texas"...but they also should say "Everything is higher..." also including sales and property taxes, real estate, license plates, car registrations, car insurance, homeowners insurance, and yes, food. We also pay sales tax on almost everything. No income tax = higher taxes on everything else.

Give me South Carolina taxes any day.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:34 PM

747 posts, read 1,684,401 times
I don't care what any of you say and one place with a 80 dollar steak don't make the rest of the places cheap. It's generally $30.00 each unless you go to like a chain as I stated. Maybe you all have big jobs or are used to paying big prices for rent....and judging from the comments that seems to be the case. However me coming from a broke state and paying what I considered to be high prices for things back in WV to coming here and paying what I do a month, seems like it's pretty expensive here. I personally would never want to live in Carolina Forest, it don't even begin to offer what I currently have. I feel like I got a pretty good deal for what I have yes, but life still isn't cheap down here. Maybe compared to NYC or some rich area of the country some where. Again depends on where you are coming from, plus it also depends on your pay scale. Most people are on min wage working 2-3 part time jobs to make it and paying out these prices, I honestly don't know how they do it. I've heard all sorts of stories from people about part time jobs, and struggling to make it here. I was even told how expensive this place was by property managers before I moved. I thought oh please, it aint that bad, but yeah some things are. Grocerys depend on where you go, the pig is high in some places. I also feel the fresh market and some other organic places I have been is high as well. However if you go to Wal-mart things are pretty well about as I would expect, granted ice cream is outrageous there. I know my organic toothpaste I would get at Krogers back in WV was $3.99 down here the exact same tube is $9.99 in one of the local organic shops(it's the only place I can find it). About the only thing I see that is cheaper is gas, and I was pretty shocked to see it under $3.00 not to long ago. Overall I love living here but living in paradise comes with a huge price tag attached to it, esp if you are really going to live down here and enjoy what is around you like eating in the local restaurants and going to some of the attractions. But I will say hey...I came from WV, and everything is going to be expensive to me no matter what it is.

Last edited by CarolinaDreams; 12-19-2013 at 05:45 PM..

Old 12-19-2013, 08:37 PM

253 posts, read 470,695 times
Carolina, I imagine MB area is a lot more expensive for certain things than West Virginia, which I have read is a state where people are really hurting economically. However, people coming from other areas of the country where the cost of living is really high find that MB is a lot less expensive, particularly with certain taxes and housing. Everything is relative, I guess!

Now, please tell me -- what is organic toothpaste?

Old 12-20-2013, 08:43 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I don't care what any of you say and one place with a 80 dollar steak don't make the rest of the places cheap. It's generally $30.00 each unless you go to like a chain as I stated. Maybe you all have big jobs or are used to paying big prices for rent....and judging from the comments that seems to be the case. However me coming from a broke state and paying what I considered to be high prices for things back in WV to coming here and paying what I do a month, seems like it's pretty expensive here. I personally would never want to live in Carolina Forest, it don't even begin to offer what I currently have. I feel like I got a pretty good deal for what I have yes, but life still isn't cheap down here. Maybe compared to NYC or some rich area of the country some where. Again depends on where you are coming from, plus it also depends on your pay scale. Most people are on min wage working 2-3 part time jobs to make it and paying out these prices, I honestly don't know how they do it. I've heard all sorts of stories from people about part time jobs, and struggling to make it here. I was even told how expensive this place was by property managers before I moved. I thought oh please, it aint that bad, but yeah some things are. Grocerys depend on where you go, the pig is high in some places. I also feel the fresh market and some other organic places I have been is high as well. However if you go to Wal-mart things are pretty well about as I would expect, granted ice cream is outrageous there. I know my organic toothpaste I would get at Krogers back in WV was $3.99 down here the exact same tube is $9.99 in one of the local organic shops(it's the only place I can find it). About the only thing I see that is cheaper is gas, and I was pretty shocked to see it under $3.00 not to long ago. Overall I love living here but living in paradise comes with a huge price tag attached to it, esp if you are really going to live down here and enjoy what is around you like eating in the local restaurants and going to some of the attractions. But I will say hey...I came from WV, and everything is going to be expensive to me no matter what it is.
No property manager ever told you Myrtle Beach is an expensive place to live. That's like a doctor telling you that you are going to die from a cold. I know no one ever who had to have three part time jobs to survive and I grew up in Myrtle Beach. I know lots of people who had two jobs because waiting tables is so lucrative, many teachers and realtors moonlight doing this.

Myrtle Beach is a cheap place to live. I suggest if you really want to see a high cost of living you visit Southern California, South Florida, Hawaii.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:59 PM

107 posts, read 164,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova21 View Post
I just accepted a job in Myrtle Beach and will be moving in two weeks. I will be making $30,000. How is this salary for a single male in his early 20s? Below average? Normal? I am making $52,000 in Virginia, so I am worried about taking such a huge paycut. However, I am very exciting to be moving to SC!

You should be fine, unless if you are a big spender ~ Welcome though ~

Old 12-23-2013, 12:32 PM

312 posts, read 733,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Food and going out to eat is not cheaper but I also dont know what you're comparing it to. I can go to NYC and eat for less or the same but salaries are much higher. Gas is lower than many states, property taxes are lower but no other taxes are lower. Most other taxes are higher because its a tourist area, especially sales tax. He's looking to rent anyway and rent here is not less than NJ or PA unless you get a place in a very bad area but then that's the same for those states. You can buy a condo on the beach now since the market dropped for even less than $150,000 but those prices were inflated to over $400,000 when the market was up. He's looking to rent so doesnt matter but even if you buy a condo on the beach here, the insurance and monthly fees are very expensive.

Just curious - when you say groceries are inexpensive, may I ask where you shop? I'd like to find a place cheaper here is why I ask. I find the food here to be more expensive than other states I shop in when I travel. Walmart is less expensive than Kroger or Lowes but it is in other states also, not just here. Thats even if you are willing to shop in Walmart. Thx

I see your questions are not being answered.... well probably because it isn't cheaper here....and the $150,000 condos they are referring to....go and take a peak at them.....I dare any of you.....I wouldn't let my dog live there...and most of them are on the beach but who wants to walk up 3 or 4 flights of stairs to get to their homes with those "inexpensive" groceries you guys are buying at Kroger and Piggly Wiggly??????? Holy heck, I must not be looking in the cheap frozen dinner section at those stores because when I compare just one item...lets take Kozy Shack Rice Pudding....in Pennsylvania it is $2.48 at a local grocery store, Walmart in NMB it is $2.78, Kroger in NMB it is $3.49....My husband and I make a decent not wonderful living and we are by no means extravagant and we are living comfortably but not having loads of money left over..and we are not the only couple that says this....we have friends from Baltimore that make a wonderful pension and live in Loris....and they told me just last week their utility bills, cable, telephone, etc. are more than when living in Baltimore.....this being said, I know others will balk at this but you have to remember here there is absolutely NO competition for HTC.....unless you go out of the box.....anyway, Merry Christmas all....signing off...just wanted to back Rapture's statements..........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area