Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 09:30 PM

8 posts, read 25,702 times

Advertisements

Some advice please?
I'm looking at a job relocation to Conway. I'm 40-ish, single female, no kids. Living in NYC now, (I can see the eyes rolling) and I love the diversity, the range of culture activities-theater, museums, lectures, the access to the outdoors, hiking, plus there are single, cultured men in my desired age range. If I move to Conway, am I going to be the perpetual third wheel to married couple friends, or the youngest woman in the room--(considering all the retirees), or the oldest(in light of the college kids). Will dates be a ride in a pickup truck to have dinner at AppleBees? I'm not a beach bum, or a golfer either. However, I do like the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 07:12 AM

790 posts, read 1,630,613 times
Life is what you make of it and, with effort, one can always find at least a slice of what they are looking for. Conway is a very small town compared to NYC and has an agricultural base. It is the county seat which draws a professional element and has CCU with its students. Given your description of what you love about NYC, you will find all of those things in the Conway/MB area but on a MUCH smaller scale and quantity. If you like having many choices and the hustle/bustle of NYC, then Conway is not the right choice. But, if you'd prefer a slower pace and don't mind trading that for less choice, then Conway might make a good move.

As far as how you'll fit with people, there are lots of meet up groups in the MB area and you could certainly find a group that fits your age/likes/dislikes. But it will take some effort to find the right fit and you'll probably have to expand beyond Conway to the MB area as well. And, no, not everyone drives a pickup and eats at Applebees. But, you'll find less people wanting to step out of a BMW at Sardi's.

Here's an example of people near your age group:
http://specialsections.myrtlebeachon...9099&pagenum=1

Last edited by CTyankee54; 11-20-2013 at 07:46 AM..

Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times
Hmmm..... CTY's answer is a good one and an accurate one, as well as a politically correct one. If you're turned off by pickup trucks and Applebee's, IMO it will be a tough acclimation for you. Conway and all the surrounding areas outside of MB have a strong culture built on hunting, fishing, and the waterways, particularly among eligible single men, including young professionals. Pickups are an integral part of that culture. Conway has much to offer for many folks, but if your good life is NYC, you're not gonna find it down here. If you decide the job is worth it, you might consider looking at some of MB's upscale yuppie addresses, although depending upon where your job is located, Hwy 501 would make for a helluva daily commute.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 11-20-2013 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Fat fingers

Old 11-20-2013, 04:16 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,798,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Hmmm..... CTY's answer is a good one and an accurate one, as well as a politically correct one. If you're turned off by pickup trucks and Applebee's, IMO it will be a tough acclimation for you. Conway and all the surrounding areas outside of MB have a strong culture built on hunting, fishing, and the waterways, particularly among eligible single men, including young professionals. Pickups are an integral part of that culture. Conway has much to offer for many folks, but if your good life is NYC, you're not gonna find it down here. If you decide the job is worth it, you might consider looking at some of MB's upscale yuppie addresses, although depending upon where your job is located, Hwy 501 would make for a helluva daily commute.
^^^^What he said. I went to school in NYC, hung out there most of my life and lived right outside the city. I now live in Conway. The easiest and nicest way to say this is; NYC is the opposite of Conway.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:01 PM

253 posts, read 471,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
^^^^What he said. I went to school in NYC, hung out there most of my life and lived right outside the city. I now live in Conway. The easiest and nicest way to say this is; NYC is the opposite of Conway.
What PawleysDude and Rapture said. I am from South Carolina, have been stuck in Texas for over 20 years and plan to retire to Myrtle Beach next year. However, I have spent time in NYC and have students from that area. Where I live in Texas is very similar to Conway plus we have MORE pick-up trucks!

There certainly is more to do at the beach than when I was younger, but I just can't see a young person who likes the things you indicate being happy at all in South Carolina period, let alone Conway/Myrtle Beach area.

My apologies to those who love the beach - I love it too but I grew up in the area, not New Yawk City!

Old 11-20-2013, 05:26 PM

35 posts, read 76,539 times
I would very strongly suggest you spend a few weeks in Conway and Myrtle Beach in general before relocating your life. Not as a tourist but actually living here. I am from Boston and chose to come down here for retirement and a slower pace of life. I worked in Boston for over 30 years and was used to the whole 'in the city' way of life. The vibe and culture down here is totally opposite of big city living. Everything is different. You do not have everything at your fingertips, you do not have the theaters, museums and nightlife that you have in the City. There is some but nothing close to what you have in the City. It's really apples and oranges.

For me, I knew I was leaving the city life behind and love it down here. Although I did go back to work because I just simply could not slow down I would never entertain ever leaving here.

Good Luck!

Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 PM

Thanks for everyone's feedback. So it seems like 'activities' are basically: golf, shop at the mall, go to the beach, happy hours, watch tv. Cheeseburger in paradise kind of thing. I think I would find that tiresome rather quickly. I did notice that Charlotte, NC seems to have more social activities and possibly men of culture--maybe travel there for weekends. I'm just trying to see how I could make this job palatable if it's the only offer I get in the near future.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,798,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culturista View Post
Thanks for everyone's feedback. So it seems like 'activities' are basically: golf, shop at the mall, go to the beach, happy hours, watch tv. Cheeseburger in paradise kind of thing. I think I would find that tiresome rather quickly. I did notice that Charlotte, NC seems to have more social activities and possibly men of culture--maybe travel there for weekends. I'm just trying to see how I could make this job palatable if it's the only offer I get in the near future.
May I ask, is the job in Conway? Just my opinion but there is nowhere that close to commute that would be anything like a "city". If I could do it all over, I would go to Charleston so if that's an option, maybe check that out.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:27 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culturista View Post
So it seems like 'activities' are basically: golf, shop at the mall, go to the beach, happy hours, watch tv. Cheeseburger in paradise kind of thing...
No no it's not, and I don't believe anyone other than yourself mentioned golf, shop at the mall, go to the beach, happy hours, watch tv in their responses. Conway is surrounded by beautiful natural resources with a multitude of opportunities to explore them. There is an ongoing procession of festivals, live music and other activities if you're willing to look for them. Theatre of the Republic in Conway is a great little theatre company with excellent productions. Coastal Carolina University in Conway offers a variety of classes, athletic events, plays, etc. Regardless, it's not NYC down here, and God help us, it never will be. I think everyone who responded is trying to be helpful. It just sounds from your posts like you're locked in to a NY state of mind. If you are not able to embrace Conway for what it is without comparing every small detail to NYC, I suspect it's going to be an awfully painful transition for you.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:27 PM

Point taken PawleysDude, I should be more open-minded. I anticipate a visit in the near future so that will surely help with the decision. Thanks for the input everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area