Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 01:57 PM

312 posts, read 733,720 times

Advertisements

Oh my gosh...if you have a moment Culturista....can you private message me please? Happy Thanksgiving to you.....enjoy all that NYC has to offer......and I see where you mentioned Charlotte.........ohhhh, check into that great city.....I truly believe it would be much more to your satisfaction....love Charlotte....very diversified and polar opposite to this area...and YES I am rolling my eyes when I mention Myrtle Beach................huh!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 09:33 PM

45 posts, read 77,432 times
Question Pawleys vs Murrells vs Conway

Reading this thread has been a huge help. PawleysDude I love how detailed you are with your descriptions. My husband and I almost moved to cypress river plantation, but our buyers walked from the deal and we are still in south jersey.What I didn't like about cypress river was how congested that whole area is by Bay Road, and am almost glad we didn't buy now. We currently live on the edge of a state forest, and my husband is a big fisher and hunter. We live in an upscale neighborhood where the houses are on 1ac., school systems are great, and it's very quiet. There's a General Store, farm markets and even a Thursday night live stock auction within a few miles (you'd swear you were in the south). Shopping is about 10 mins. away and for me, a big art lover, there are galleries, and small towns around with something always going on. When I have a real craving for culture I hop on the train and can be in philly in 40 mins. Our realtor/friend said Conway would not be a good place for us, but reading your post I'm second guessing. He said we would stick out like transplant and "Yankees". We've been up and down the coast, and were considering Bluffton, Beaufort, Pawleys or Murrells Inlet, but were told crime and/or taxes are higher. My family is in Aiken for over 25 years, but we are shore people. I'd love to find a place very similar to where we are now. Help!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:57 AM

161 posts, read 330,914 times
All I can say is take everything you read here with a grain of salt. Everyone has a different experience, a different definition of "high crime" , "high taxes" and "major traffic". It all relates to what you are used to and what you require for your lifestyle. We moved here from Maryland and we love it. Haven't built our house yet but I can say since we have been here we have changed our minds from where we originally thought we wanted to be. I work in Pawleys Island, my husband is more the central to North Myrtle area and we are living in Conway. When I hear folks talking about traveling "all the way ' to where ever , I think back to the days when my husband used to commute for over an hour on congested interstates. You have to come experience it all for yourselves , then decide.

Old 12-07-2013, 09:57 AM

45 posts, read 77,432 times
Thanks KavH and I completely agree. That's why I like hearing from you and others. Where we live now people refer to as "out there", but I would rather drive 10 or more mins to shop than having a shopping plaza at the end of my block. Curious as to where you decided on. I welcome a personal note if you are comfortable with that. The only things realtors show us are golf communities. I'm open to North Myrtle beach too if anyone has any input. Also, KavH - was it hard for you to find work? Our kids are just out of the house, so too young to retire! Thanks again

Old 01-09-2014, 07:53 PM

8 posts, read 25,684 times
Just an update:
I did visit the Conway/Myrtle Beach area recently. My impression is that: there are a LOT of Northern transplants living there who like the weather, the slower pace of living, the Southern lifestyle, the area. As you mentioned, PawleysDude, they talked about the festivals, the good quality local theater, and the comparatively lower cost of living. People were friendly, and I found the Market Commons area nice, but hey, it's an outdoor mall dressed up to be a 'downtown'--they've done a smart thing in building townhouses next to it. Having said that, I wasn't won over. So much driving, driving, driving to every little thing, and I think the influx of Northerners has made it not quite South and not quite North but something in the middle. From an environmental standpoint, I don't see the beautiful natural areas being zoned or protected. If developers continue to have a free hand, I see that in ten years this area will become the sprawling strip developments that you see so much of in Florida, which would truly be a shame. Still, I think families with small children and retirees who like a quiet life, the Myrtle Beach theme park area, etc. and don't mind the driving find it pleasant.
On the other hand, I recently visited Charleston. Here's a small city I could embrace, with its history, defined culture and charm of the past amidst a lively, thriving present. It's an authentic "Market Commons".
That's my 2 cents, and I realize that I've tossed out opinions that are based on a short visit, so I probably have gotten things wrong. But, there it is.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:05 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,143,488 times
Growing up in Myrtle Beach yes, there are a lot of Yankees but Myrtle Beach is still just a small southern town. You just have to know where to look.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:46 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,928,641 times
Culturista,
You are exactly right!
Charleston is a city that is truly unique.
That is why everyone loves it.
They will keep it that way too, I love it!

Old 01-10-2014, 05:50 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,791,178 times
Agree with everything you said. Good luck with whatever you decide and just from my experience/observations, I think Charleston would be a better fit. Only thing is if the job is here, that's too long to commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culturista View Post
Just an update:
I did visit the Conway/Myrtle Beach area recently. My impression is that: there are a LOT of Northern transplants living there who like the weather, the slower pace of living, the Southern lifestyle, the area. As you mentioned, PawleysDude, they talked about the festivals, the good quality local theater, and the comparatively lower cost of living. People were friendly, and I found the Market Commons area nice, but hey, it's an outdoor mall dressed up to be a 'downtown'--they've done a smart thing in building townhouses next to it. Having said that, I wasn't won over. So much driving, driving, driving to every little thing, and I think the influx of Northerners has made it not quite South and not quite North but something in the middle. From an environmental standpoint, I don't see the beautiful natural areas being zoned or protected. If developers continue to have a free hand, I see that in ten years this area will become the sprawling strip developments that you see so much of in Florida, which would truly be a shame. Still, I think families with small children and retirees who like a quiet life, the Myrtle Beach theme park area, etc. and don't mind the driving find it pleasant.
On the other hand, I recently visited Charleston. Here's a small city I could embrace, with its history, defined culture and charm of the past amidst a lively, thriving present. It's an authentic "Market Commons".
That's my 2 cents, and I realize that I've tossed out opinions that are based on a short visit, so I probably have gotten things wrong. But, there it is.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 PM

9 posts, read 38,911 times
Hello everyone!
I am just curious if Culturista took the job and made the move to Conway SC!!
I read everything that was offered to her as advice, they were all excellent!

For JWINS!! I hope you still check out this site.... My husband and I are very seriously considering retiring to the MB area. We are also from MA, specifically the South Shore.. We live one mile from the beach. We do love Boston, the North End, the museums, theater etc and especially our little sea coast town!! I thought I would never ever want to leave here, however, the long winters are really wearing on us. We want a quality of life now that we are in our 60's which gives us more year round activities.. Really tired of the snow not to mention the high cost of living in MA...
May I ask you if you have any suggestions what areas to look in? I have been to MB a few times to vacation about 10 yrs ago. I recently have visited to check out some of the homes, however it was a very quick 3 days.. I have been looking on line and thought we might like the Carolina Forest area.
Also the Cypress River Plantation development. We have looked at the Reserve in The Market Common area. However, I think we want to be away from the touristy areas, and we DO not like the cookie cutter developments, hence our interest in the CRP development... Do you have any input you could offer from one Boston lover to another!! Much appreciated...
Gina

Old 03-31-2014, 08:37 PM

9 posts, read 38,911 times
Hi Dichoto-me!

I read that you may be relocating from South Jersey to MB.... Specifically that you almost moved to Cypress River Plantation.
We are looking at that development also... We are coming from MA, a small sea coast town. I grew up in central PA, moved around quite a bit with job relocations but moved to the South Shore of MA 40 years ago. Love it here but am seriously considering retiring to the MB area.. Tired of the long winters and want to spend more of our life outdoors. I am curious as to why you made the comment that you are happy you did not move to the Cypress River development. Can you please provide me with some input. It looks like a very beautiful development. It is a bit large, (our street has only 20 homes, one way in and one way out) however we like the idea of the 24/7 guarded gate, the large pool and other amenities but mostly that the lots are larger than most developments, that the developer has left the lots treed and the fact that it has a boat ramp to the ICW... and fenced boat storage. It seems like a perfect development, even though large. May I ask what you did not like about it? I know you said your buy on your NJ house fell through, are you still looking though to relocate to the MB area?
Thank you for any information you have to offer..
Gina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area