Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 02:06 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,725,996 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for a friendly place to learn this dance. Is there a place that isn't very expensive where we can take lessons around Litchfield/Pawleys?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:11 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times
We've taken lessons at various times from most of the local instructors, many of whom retired shortly after we signed up. We haven't taken any in awhile, but we always enjoyed them. Generally, pricing is pretty standard, usually around $40-45 per person for 4 lessons, one per week. If you don't mind driving to NMB, many of the beach music clubs offer free lessons one nite/week.

The only instructor I ever recommend, and the only one we would consider taking from again, is Judy Duke. In recent years, she has taught at the VFW in MI and at the Ball & Que in G'town, but I haven't seen her name pop up recently. Cherri Perkins is president of the South Strand Shag Club, and I'm sure she would know if Judy is teaching anywhere on this end. Cherri may also know some other instructors teaching around here.

As an alternative, Bill & Brenda Barber teach weekly at the Marlin in Garden City. They are popular but IMO don't do nearly as good a job teaching as does Judy. BTW, the Marlin is about the only place south of MB with a decent dance floor that schedules beach music bands. It's also the #1 geriatric meat market in this area.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:33 PM

Where is the Marlin? I know you've mentioned it in the past, but I don't place it.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 PM

253 posts, read 471,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
It's also the #1 geriatric meat market in this area.
Dude, you are SO bad!

And why in the world would YOU need shag lessons? Didn't you learn it in high school?

I had a boyfriend who was a fantastic dancer and very patient, so back in the day I could shag quite well. Today, with the rigors of old age, not so much!

Old 10-25-2013, 07:17 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,683,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Where is the Marlin? I know you've mentioned it in the past, but I don't place it.
The blue words in PD's post above are links. Click on them to go to the websites for South Strand Shag Club and Marlin in Garden City.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:03 PM

178 posts, read 330,355 times
I think the Barber's do a free open group lesson at the Beaver on Tuesday nites and the Wednesday night thing at the Marlin is paid lessons.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:05 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
And why in the world would YOU need shag lessons? Didn't you learn it in high school? ...
Darlin', in HS shaggin' was my best subject. Lessons are a good thing... most instructors rotate partners during the nite, and at my age, it's the only chance I get to squeeze some strange flesh.

BusyDesk, the Marlin is on your immediate left after turning onto Atlantic Ave from Business 17. It's buried in the back of an old strip mall, along with a few other bars. If you're by that way any Friday nite, you can't miss the crowd of cars in the parking lot. The best part? Krispy Kreme is only a block away and they're usually open an hour or so after the band stops. The perfect combination.

Old 10-25-2013, 03:26 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,163,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
Dude, you are SO bad!

And why in the world would YOU need shag lessons? Didn't you learn it in high school?

!
High School? We learned in Junior High!

Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 PM

Krispy Kreme in the near vicinity??? SOLD!!
Any favorite music groups we should watch for?

Old 10-25-2013, 09:35 PM

253 posts, read 471,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
High School? We learned in Junior High!
Well, I was Baptist so couldn't get out of the house until high school! (For those not in the know, Baptists didn't dance back in the day )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area