Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:32 AM

84 posts, read 394,315 times

Advertisements

Hey folks

looking for any input on living slightly inland vs near the water.

Are the summers that much cooler near the water, I know traffic must be a bear, but anything else people have noticed and want to share that may be of some help.

Thoughts or experience of living north of Carolina bypass vs within a few blocks of the ocean, or ?

Thanks
muchas grassy areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2013, 10:02 PM

285 posts, read 641,200 times
Each has its pluses and minuses. If you own a home or condo and live close to the coast expect to pay very high insurance rates. During summer, being close to the coast will be a few degrees less hot and you'll feel some of the sea breeze compared to a town that's 4-5 miles inland. Traffic on hwy 17 is only an issue from Memorial Day to the 3rd week of August, and really only at certain times of the day (dinner time).

I think one of the best places to live in Myrtle is in Barefoot Resort. They are centrally located, close to the action, only 2 miles from the beach, they're on the west side of the waterway so insurance rates for homeowners is reasonable, you're close to the back roads so you can bypass much of the summer traffic that's on 17, and there are a variety of homes, condos and apartments available in every price range. Good luck!

Old 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM

Thanks leetchy2

Wife likes pools and thinks the ocean is Yuk, in her words.
I might just buy something a few feet from the ocean to drive her nuts, muhahahhaha!

Old 10-25-2013, 10:05 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,159,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leetchy2 View Post
Each has its pluses and minuses. If you own a home or condo and live close to the coast expect to pay very high insurance rates. During summer, being close to the coast will be a few degrees less hot and you'll feel some of the sea breeze compared to a town that's 4-5 miles inland. Traffic on hwy 17 is only an issue from Memorial Day to the 3rd week of August, and really only at certain times of the day (dinner time).

I think one of the best places to live in Myrtle is in Barefoot Resort. They are centrally located, close to the action, only 2 miles from the beach, they're on the west side of the waterway so insurance rates for homeowners is reasonable, you're close to the back roads so you can bypass much of the summer traffic that's on 17, and there are a variety of homes, condos and apartments available in every price range. Good luck!
I literally grew up on the beach in Myrtle Beach and would beg to differ about Barefoot being centrally located but I understand that is your opinion.

The Dunes Club is much better located.

To the OP, there is NOTHING that compares to living on the ocean. If you can swing it, do it. If you can afford oceanfront, you'll probably be able to swing a pool.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,841,976 times
Default Flood Insurance

Flood insurance is about to become a major issue for anyone considering a move close to water. Fed govt is getting out of the flood insurance subsidy business and some increases are going to be shocking. For owners currently having flood insurance, the increases will be phased in. For new buyers or existing owners who decide to buy flood insurance, the increases go into effect immediately. There was a story on local news last nite - couple was about to close on a waterfront home in MI. Current owner was paying $1300/yr for flood insurance. Buyers found out their annual premium was going to be $16,000 so they pulled back from the deal. New regulations increasing flood insurance rates : News : CarolinaLive.com

Old 10-26-2013, 08:56 AM

PayleysDude

Where can someone find an outline of how far back from the ocean the effected areas would go,
from the sounds of it most areas with water around them would be included in the Myrtle area,
and around the country under this new change.

I think this will have a detrimental effect on the sale of property for many areas around the country,
Can't picture to many retired folks on a fixed income being able to fork out an extra 16k a year after taxes.

This will eventually create a slow migration inland and coastal property will eventually be swallowed up by large
corps.

Maybe they will start a new program, the affordable costal living care act for the uninsured.

Old 10-26-2013, 02:29 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,898,134 times
Frozen, Here is a link to FEMA that explains the Biggert Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act.. It explains the changes in detail. If you want "cut-to-the-chase" information try this timeline.

You can go here to see FEMA Flood Maps for Horry County.

Another good source of information is Floodsmart.gov. For a clear explanation of BW-12 try here.

Keep in mind, inland doesn't mean it is not in a flood zone. As my bug guy told me "we live in a swamp." The best way to find out if a property you are interested in is affected by the changes is to call an insurance agent. Where I work we are now required to have our clients sign a "Flood Insurance Disclosure" form stating they have been advised by their broker to investigate current and future anticipate costs for flood insurance as well as availability.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Thanks neecewh

Didnt notice that you were in RE before,
lots of great info, I will give you a shout when we get ready for something down there!

Old 10-28-2013, 02:04 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,898,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen View Post
.... I will give you a shout when we get ready for something down there!
I would appreciate you giving me the opportunity to help you. I look forward to it.

Old 01-13-2014, 01:34 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,469,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Frozen, Here is a link to FEMA that explains the Biggert Waters Flood Insurance Reform Act.. It explains the changes in detail. If you want "cut-to-the-chase" information try this timeline.

You can go here to see FEMA Flood Maps for Horry County.

Another good source of information is Floodsmart.gov. For a clear explanation of BW-12 try here.

Keep in mind, inland doesn't mean it is not in a flood zone. As my bug guy told me "we live in a swamp." The best way to find out if a property you are interested in is affected by the changes is to call an insurance agent. Where I work we are now required to have our clients sign a "Flood Insurance Disclosure" form stating they have been advised by their broker to investigate current and future anticipate costs for flood insurance as well as availability.

Trouble is you can no longer get a flood insurance quote without an elevation certificate. The pre-firm houses dont have them and they cost like $500 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area