Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,782,179 times

Advertisements

Which have you been to and would you suggest? I have three nephews coming to town and I don't know which is the best?

Myrtle Beach Attractions | Wild Water | Theme Park

or Myrtle Beach Water Park | Myrtle Waves Water Park

Suggestions for Miniature Golf are welcome also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 07:32 AM

207 posts, read 1,004,151 times
Myrtle Waves is definitely the better water park in the area.

As far as putt-putt goes, Atlanticus (downtown Myrtle, near the old Pavilion area) is very popular. Its a really unique course composed of huts (that climb up to 4 stories), lakes, waterfalls, caves, etc. We also like Captain Hook's (on 17 business) and the one at Broadway at the Beach...Dragon's Lair. There are courses on every corner and I don't think you can go wrong. We are huge fans and went to every one during the year we lived there...the only one we didn't like was Gilligans Island in Murrells Inlet.

Atlanticus does local discounts (not sure if its in state or just Myrtle area, but worth asking if you're from SC.)

Old 07-22-2008, 02:13 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,782,179 times
Thank you so much! That info. helps a lot.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:23 PM

163 posts, read 664,753 times
ah090206, I'm curious . . . why didn't you like Gilligan's Island? I know we've been there several times, and I don't remember anything bad about the course itself. They advertised, however, that they would accept competitor's coupons but would not honor one that I had.

On the other hand, we've had great experiences with Runaway Bay on Hwy 17 right at the Surfside/Garden City line. The staff there has always been friendly. Earlier this summer when I took my kids, they gave us all an extra game for free because it was not crowded. Also, there's an ice cream shop on site.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:43 PM

I'm almost 100% sure it was Gilligans Island...I hope I'm not giving it a bad rep without merit :-) We thought that there was a total lack of a theme and they tried to hard to make hard holes. There is one hole in particular that was virtually impossible (it was straight up hill about 10 feet, then turned off to the left...if you hit the ball hard enough to get to the hole, then it went off the course...if you didn't hit it hard enough, it rolled back down every time.) The course also wasn't kept up very well. Like I said, pretty sure it was Gilligan's Island, if not, it was in Murrells, on the same side of the street, close to Gilligans.

I like Runaway Bay as well (thats the one owned by Tupelo Bay, right?) It is a nice course with good theming...and as you mentioned, good staff. Our favorite for theming and difficulty is Hook's. We like Atlanticus for the theming and local discount...but hole 19 is really the only challenging hole on the course (unless they happen to change up the holes.)

Old 07-22-2008, 08:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,877,837 times
I've only been to Wild Water & Wheels, so I cannot compare to Myrtle Waves. Wild Water is OK can get a bit crowded, they have a decent wave pool.

I like Runaway Bay, too. We also like the two courses at Bway at the Beach.

Have fun with the kids!

Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 AM

Yes, Runaway Bay is right there by the Tupelo Bay par-3 course. I think we've also been to Hook's in the past year or so, and we liked it. There's another pirate-themed one at the corner of Hwy 17 and 48th (I think) Avenue. I can never remember the name of that one, but we've been before and had a good time. It always looks crowded at peak times (evenings). Really, you can't go wrong with many of these mini-golf places. The best bet is to get one of the Grand Strand coupon books (at restaurants, groceries, almost anywhere) and find the best deal, or one that's closest.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 PM

I think that is Treasure Island and we like it as well. I agree that you can't go wrong :-) Although...we played in Disney and the Myrtle courses still have a long way to go! The Disney courses are incredible!! The turf is different colors...some are rainbow. Many of the holes are interactive (one has a "xylophone" going down steps and your ball hits each note...another causes the water shoot over your head from buckets that the brooms are holding (Fantasia style) as you walk around the hole...the 18th hole is a big "hurricane" of water that swirls and your ball disappears into the funnel. Really a neat course!!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:56 PM

Wow, that does sound cool. Then again, I'm fine with green, fraying astroturf, cheesy steel-drum music from busted speakers, ponds/fountains that looked like they're filled with antifreeze, and carved initials and used bubblegum adorning the trashcans. So even the low-end MB courses are OK by me . . . especially when you can play all day for six bucks.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:37 PM

Haha...I'm fine with it too! I love the phony "crystal blue" waters with the muck growing in them! But the Disney course is definitely a treat :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area