Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 01:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,621,804 times

Advertisements

South Carolina State Park and Campground, Myrtle Beach, Springmaid Beach and Surfside Beach each received a one-star rating out of a possible five. The report said the beaches only met one of the criteria: posting closings and advisories online and at the beach.

Report: Myrtle Beach Ocean Water Among Nation’s Dirtiest - News Story - WSOC Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 07:43 PM

882 posts, read 3,543,141 times
And the Sun News just reported in the last day or two that MB ranked as one of the Top 10 beaches in the US according to some poll... But it was for GOLF. A crying shame that our beaches rank as the dirtiest and we receive accolades for Golf..

Old 07-28-2010, 09:59 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,159,515 times
Yall need to stop flushing turds directly onto the ocean,

Old 07-29-2010, 12:11 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,125,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
Yall need to stop flushing turds directly onto the ocean,
Is this true? We're heading down at the end of August and our 2.5 year old daughter has a lot of allergies and eczema. Where do they do this; i.e what beaches?

Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,882,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Is this true? We're heading down at the end of August and our 2.5 year old daughter has a lot of allergies and eczema. Where do they do this; i.e what beaches?
No way raw sewage is systematically being dumped straight into the ocean. Maybe some idiots are dumping their camper refuse somewhere but that is about the only thing I can think of??? But do research which swimming areas are best/cleanest. There is a big variance between areas due to run off/washes in certain areas.

Hey, OP, thanks for posting this. I'm going to pick up the link and circulate it to the editors of all of the major news outlets here (I work in PR)..... EVERYONE should be aware of this problem so that we can put pressure on our state regulators to make this a priority. I'm Pi**ed about this!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,801,740 times
i was recently at a stormwater conference, and the folks from North Myrtle Beach were basically bragging about their "sophisticated" system of flushing untreated stormwater out into the ocean. they were proud of this.

everyone else, is doing the opposite. you let your stormwater sit in retention ponds, so plants and sunlight can break down the pollution, and you recharge the local aquifers as well. You need to utilize time, resources, and land to do this, it is not cheap, so you really need a community that has an environmentally-friendly attitude to support these programs. it is, of course, just cheaper to sent it into the ocean, untreated.

myrtle beach's water quality problems are the result of their imbalance between cheap development-friendly policy, and environmentally-friendly policy. this is a state problem, yes, but more than anything the solution is local and county-based.

Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,882,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i was recently at a stormwater conference, and the folks from North Myrtle Beach were basically bragging about their "sophisticated" system of flushing untreated stormwater out into the ocean. they were proud of this.

everyone else, is doing the opposite. you let your stormwater sit in retention ponds, so plants and sunlight can break down the pollution, and you recharge the local aquifers as well. You need to utilize time, resources, and land to do this, it is not cheap, so you really need a community that has an environmentally-friendly attitude to support these programs. it is, of course, just cheaper to sent it into the ocean, untreated.

myrtle beach's water quality problems are the result of their imbalance between cheap development-friendly policy, and environmentally-friendly policy. this is a state problem, yes, but more than anything the solution is local and county-based.
I tried to give you rep points, le roi, but I was not allowed. This is exactly the type of information that we need to get circulated. Many in this state could give a rat's a&& about our environment but once they realize that, much like the Gulf Coast has seen, we will immediately reap the consequences of less tourism, lower property values, fewer jobs and less tax revenue once the information about the pitiful state of our coast starts to circulate to the masses....... Once the flow of money stops, people will suddenly care a whole lot! Before the Florida coast even saw drop one of oil, they began to suffer tremendous econmic fall out.

Old 07-30-2010, 05:12 PM

540 posts, read 1,682,135 times
Heck, you can see the stormwater drains all over the place. Can't believe it's even legal to dump it into the ocean like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area