Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 04:10 PM

810 posts, read 1,184,161 times

Advertisements

So, would a home 2 miles away be in this zone? I am interested in Market Commons to be specific. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:59 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,134,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralvr View Post
So, would a home 2 miles away be in this zone? I am interested in Market Commons to be specific. Thanks.
Because it is at sea level, the flood plain travels pretty far inland. I would check the different areas of Market Common.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 PM

253 posts, read 470,695 times
If an area is zoned low to moderate risk, would premiums be through the roof?

Old 01-14-2014, 08:23 AM

935 posts, read 1,652,454 times
So, is this law proposed and enacted without any public or private debate or discussion ? Does this new law catch homeowners by surprise and why ? Dont know but did it get thru legislature, pass, enact as quickly as any law ever ? Seems like it will change the world as the southern east coast, Florida, Gulf coast knows it.

Do earthquake fault owners have similar taxes for living on or near a major fault ? Tornado alley homeowners ?

Of course, our federal state and local govts cannot be expected to carry such a load - and this would include more than FEMA. Our (ALL OF 'EM) representatives need to be taken by the collar and showed the door. of course this OMHO.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:56 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Trouble is you can no longer get a flood insurance quote without an elevation certificate. The pre-firm houses dont have them and they cost like $500 bucks.
That depends on what zone they are in. You only need an elevation certificate if it is in a designated flood zone ("A" "AE" and "V")

Old 01-21-2014, 01:25 PM

790 posts, read 1,625,618 times
Burr,
This is a federal piece of leg that Congress enacted to end the taxpayer subsidy of Flood Insurance for those living in flood-prone areas. It is/will be painful and gradually raising rates would be more palatable to those impacted than the sudden increase that's currently in place. However, the FEMA flood insurance plan has been abused by some (certainly not the majority) who keep rebuilding houses within a flood plain (think Mississippi River) and then get bailed out year after year. An article in the Sun News recently indicated that without changes, the insurance plan would be bankrupt within a few years.

Re your question on homeowners in earthquake/tornado zones...first of all they are not covered by FEMA insurance. Their insurance is through private insurance companies who bear the risk and rate accordingly...the taxpayers are not on the hook through insurance. Second, this is not a tax...it is insurance premiums which are supposed to cover the risk of loss...and for the FEMA flood insurance plan, the premiums are falling far short of the losses so the government must raise premiums to avoid having those with no risk (those taxpayers with no flood risk) bailing out an insurance plan for people who live in high risk areas.

I don't disagree that the financial pain caused by this change is significant and it should be phased in to lessen the impact. But, the reality is, it has to be done.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:43 PM

I looked up a couple of addresses in the area I am interested in (Market Commons) and they are listed as "low to moderate" risk. What kind of rates are we talking about for this designation? This area is on our list of potential retirement destinations, but if the rates are going to be astronomical I might have to take it off our short list. Thanks

Old 01-21-2014, 05:15 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,894,967 times
saralvr,

It would be impossible to say because insurance rates vary with location, size of home, if it is on a slab or has a craw space, age of structure etc etc ... and they also vary greatly from insurance company to insurance company. I would suggest you take a home that is for sale in community in Market Common that you like (that is similar to what you are looking for) and call a local insurance company (or 2 or 3) and ask them for a quote. Although it won't be the same with the house you buy in the future, it will give an idea of what you might pay in a particular community.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:24 PM

Thank you~excellent advice

Old 02-15-2014, 07:35 AM

39 posts, read 88,962 times
Default Flood insurance

I think the cost for flood insurance is set by FEMA, so all things being equal, you should get the same price no matter which agent/co you call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area