Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 AM

7 posts, read 10,557 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

We've researched and daydreamed over moving for years and now the time has finally come for my family to make it happen. I'm going to be attending grad school at Francis Marion in the fall, and we are now trying to find areas to move to. I'm hoping some of you can help.

We want to live in an area that's quiet with low crime. I'd like to have a little bit of land (an acre would be fine, just so that I'm not right up on my neighbors-- I like my privacy). I work in mental health/ social services, and my husband is in retail management, so we will need job availability (currently looking). I'd love to be within decent driving distance from the beach, BUT, seeing as to how I'll be in school at FMU, I'll have to be near Florence, too.

Hubby and I have lived in rural WV all our lives, and we like a quiet, boring, country kind of life.... But we'd like to be close enough to shopping, restaurants, or just to go do something fun when the mood strikes. I am not used to crime, and I think my biggest fear with this move is the possibility of moving to a crime-ridden area. (Here in Podunk, we get the standard white trash crime, like welfare fraud and meth labs and prescription drug abuse, but I can't fathom the thought of living in a heavily populated area where I'd be afraid to let my kid go outside to play.)

So, I spend a lot of my time here on CD and using google earth street view to look over towns and neighborhoods and such. Judging by what I've seen so far, I'm thinking maybe conway might fit the bill? I really think aynor looks really quiet and boring too-- right up my alley.

I'm just kinda lost here... Any other thoughts? I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 03:44 AM

235 posts, read 528,321 times
Gathering from the info you have given, I would recommend Effingham which is just south of Florence, it's kinda fits the bill of being real rural yet close enough to everything in Florence and FMU only being 15 min. Conway wouldn't be too bad but I think Aynor would perfect if you wanna be exactly halfway from MB and FMU

Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 AM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
The drive from Conway to FMU would get pretty expensive gas-wise and physically taxing from a time/distance. While Aynor/Conway might be more attractive as they are farming communities, it might be better to live near Florence from a school and job perspective.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:25 PM

7 posts, read 10,557 times
Thanks guys. Anymore advice?

Btw, what's darlington like??? (Just curious...... Lots of homes for sale there and I'm wondering why they're so cheap.)

Old 03-21-2013, 04:08 AM

235 posts, read 528,321 times
Rural areas of Darlington aren't that bad but wouldn't live in town. Hartsville would be a nice option. Mars Bluff would be more idea. It's eastern Florence Co and only a 5 min drive from FMU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area