Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 02:33 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfowlkes View Post
...Any areas to stay away from?
From a safety standpoint? Not really. I don't know any areas around PI where I'm uncomfortable driving around during the day or evening. Like anywhere else, there are a few places I avoid late at nite, but you'll recognize those as you drive around. The only dangerous places are the fire lanes at the grocery stores. That's where all the Escalades and Lexuses (Lexi?) park.

As a prospective residential area? Find a good realtor you trust and pay attention. The only advice is not to automatically assume every home has county sewer services. Parts of some nice older neighborhoods still have septic tanks, which can become problematic in coastal areas with sandy soil and high water tables. There's an ongoing push to get all of these areas to county sewer, which means those folks potentially have some expensive work lying ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 07:51 PM

44 posts, read 76,876 times
Thanks PD, we are now in town staying at Litchfield Resort. How noticeable is the paper mill smell from GT?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:06 PM

96 posts, read 221,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachfowlkes View Post
Thanks PD, we are now in town staying at Litchfield Resort. How noticeable is the paper mill smell from GT?
Smell what smell?????? Lol You will know when it's a southwest breeze. Imho A small inconvenience for such a wonderful place .

Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,842,997 times
^^ What Seabass said... ^^

It's most noticeable when there's a SW breeze and an inversion that keeps the emissions close to the ground, but it's part of our life down here. Everybody seems to have their own reaction to it. I rarely notice it and personally do not find it objectionable, even when we're in Georgetown, which is frequently. On the other hand, I've known visitors who told me it ruined their vacation and would never come back. It's a good thing to figure out before you move here.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:18 AM

10 posts, read 25,053 times
As I've looked at homes for sale on the internet, I've come to realize that there seems to be no gas heat in PI. I lived in one home here in the upstate of SC that had heat pump and I could never get warm enough in the winter. Could you realtors out there give me the scoop? I HAVE to have gas heat in my home!
Thanks.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,032 posts, read 6,564,608 times
I think Parmilee in MI offers gas in their Horton built townhomes.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:01 AM

1,019 posts, read 2,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greytgirl View Post
As I've looked at homes for sale on the internet, I've come to realize that there seems to be no gas heat in PI. I lived in one home here in the upstate of SC that had heat pump and I could never get warm enough in the winter. Could you realtors out there give me the scoop? I HAVE to have gas heat in my home!
Thanks.
Well, that may be a difficult "must have". There are not many homes heated with gas in this area. You will find many with gas fireplaces. I have seen a few in Prince Creek in Murrells Inlet with gas heat. It is not that they don't exist, but they are not common and making it a deal breaker may send your search out of Pawleys. On the bright side, electric is cheaper than gas around here AND the biggest bright side of all is it is not as cold here so maybe it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Today it will be in the 70's!

Old 12-05-2012, 09:44 AM

96 posts, read 221,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Well, that may be a difficult "must have". There are not many homes heated with gas in this area. You will find many with gas fireplaces. I have seen a few in Prince Creek in Murrells Inlet with gas heat. It is not that they don't exist, but they are not common and making it a deal breaker may send your search out of Pawleys. On the bright side, electric is cheaper than gas around here AND the biggest bright side of all is it is not as cold here so maybe it wouldn't be as much of an issue. Today it will be in the 70's!
Agree I did notice a lot of the new construction on the Horry side of Murrells has natural gas. 3 of Hortons new single familys included. Neecewh nailed it with the reasonable (cheap lol)electric rates. From a person that came from gas homes I did have a bit of a challenge with the stove. I believe it was a good 30 lbs of shrimp before I worked the bugs out. As far as heating the house no problem. If its cold turn up to the house gets warm lol. Best of luck on your search

Old 12-05-2012, 11:12 AM

10 posts, read 25,053 times
Thanks for all the good input. I will check out the communities ya'll mentioned that have gas. Also perhaps I'll just come and rent a place for a long weekend in the winter and see how it feels!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:15 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,032 posts, read 6,564,608 times
My wife likes it warm in the colder months. We have a heat pump in our MI townhouse (Park West) and she has no trouble boasting the temperature up to where I end up in my underwear........ It's something I'll never understand: When it is cold outside she wants 78. When it is warm outside she wants 72.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area