Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:14 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,662,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Would you mind sharing where you read that about Grand Strand Heart Center being 5th in the country? (Inquiring minds want to know!)

Thanks!
Sure.....They have a poster in the elevators. It states on it that they are 5th in the country in heart care.
( Now I think I'll go look that up officially)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 05:22 PM

"HealthGrades, the nation’s leading independent healthcare quality company. Grand Strand Regional is also ranked among the top five percent in the nation for cardiac surgery in 2012.
The Number One in Cardiac Surgery designation includes coronary artery bypass surgery and valve replacement. Specifically, Grand Strand Regional received 5-star (highest) ratings for coronary bypass surgery and cardiac surgery. "

Well, I just quickly came up with the above. I am so very proud of our Grand Strand Heart Center.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:54 PM

124 posts, read 227,724 times
Thanks so much, Summering. We already wrote down the name of the cardiologist you mentioned, Dr. Kontos, as my husband will definitely be needing one when we move. Is his office is in Myrtle Beach?

Old 07-20-2012, 07:01 PM

On 82nd Avenue in the first building on Right. There are a lot of doctors on that Avenue, every kind one would need.
Just a wonderful person and I am sincere about that. The people who work for him say he is the "best." I believe that as he even remembered talking to my husbands old doctor over a year ago. He remembered his name, and what they talked about. He remembered that Mr Summering was his patient since he was 30 years old, or so.
Very relaxed and quite the happy guy. We were blessed to find him, quite blessed.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:50 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Sum, thanks for your prompt answer. I appreciate that!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 PM

124 posts, read 227,724 times
Summering, thanks so much for that information!!!

Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 AM

4,343 posts, read 14,775,681 times
Summering, I'm happy to hear you had such a great experience at Grand Strand. I've only been to Conway Hospital, unfortunately too many times but I also have had good experiences there. ER is very quick, caring and actually listen to what the problems are and try and help. Best of luck!

Old 07-28-2012, 07:14 AM

The way I feel about this is that it is difficult to leave your home state, your home towns, and your doctor you depended on your entire life.
In our case, Mr Summerings doctor just retired as we were ready to leave, it made that part a bit easier on our conscience.
I never liked the fact that at Waccamaw Hospital you can get transfered to Georgetown or even Charleston.

I was so delighted when the Strand Hospital opened up a Heart Center and a Trauma Center to. That is so important to
a busy area. Also, it is important to those of us who live with someone who has a heart issue, or if we have one ourself.

I have never had better treatment " all the way around." All that kindness makes one feel happy right from the start.
There is no doubt that when someone moves here that they will love the service given at the Strand Hospital.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:14 AM

62 posts, read 125,339 times
I'm glad to hear that your husband is doing well!

My aunt also had her heart surgery there some years ago & found the hospital to be wonderful. I had no idea about Waccamaw hospital. I would not want to be sent to another area for treatment.

Not to de-rail this conversation however my daughter and her boyfriend are looking to buy a home in Morristown! Up till about a month ago I had never heard of that city. They just missed out on a home by dragging their feet on putting down an offer, not many homes come up in their price range ( first time homebuyers ). They currently live in Brooklyn, it's getting spendy there with her boyfriends two hour commute over bridges etc in the morning to his job in NJ! Holy Toledo the prices to get over a bridge or two in one direction the spending it again in the reverse, this for some seven years now.

Back to the hospital, is the trauma unit new? Good to know that there is one!

My rheumatologist has asked me to find a doctor in the area that he can work with. I have one in mind ( my aunts - best recommendation ) I will most likely return to Boston for his guidance on our way to and from Maine where the nearest trauma center one hour north and two hours south of our summer home. Hoping for no trauma's while we are up there...altho there is a small hospital near us.

As we age I guess there are issues that come to mind, at least for me I feel health-care or lack of will drive our final retirement destination!

All the best to you & your family summering as your husband heals!

Old 07-31-2012, 01:41 PM

Thank you....Summerings husband has already been swimming in the ocean! He is like the energizer bunny and just keeps rolling along.
From what I can recall the Trauma part of the Strand Hospital was there first before even the Heart Center. They tell me the Heart Center has been there ten years. I know it just put a big addition on.( Heart Center)

I have had friends that were in a closer proximity to Waccamaw and had to be sent to Georgetown and Charleston.
Although I do like Waccamaw, they are not a Heart Center or Trauma.
I have found I can get to the Strand Hospital in about 20 minutes in summer traffic so its not all that bad. We were almost an hour to Morristown Memorial .
I love our location here off of 544. Close to the airport, hospitals, food stores, and all types of shopping.

I didn't get in to the Rheumatologist I wanted to see, for whatever reason I didn't get a call or appointment with them.
I am still looking if anyone has a suggestion. Right now my family doctor is working with the information from my Rheumatologist back home.

Funny about Morristown I was born in Morristown. My husband worked there for 25 years also. My aunt lived outside of town and my cousin and I would take a bus to town for doll clothes.
It is an expensive town now and I know homes there go fast. They should maybe look into Morris Plains ( next door to Morristown) or howabout Denville. Denville is a great town to grow up in. I loved living in Indian Lake (Denville) and in Lake Arrowhead. (Denville) Denville into Morristown is just one small road.( route 53) and that takes just 10 minutes or so. My husband and I grew up there. Its a fun town, with a "real" downtown. The communities usually have lakes for swimming and boating. We were 45 minutes to NYC living in that town.

DM me anytime you might have a question...Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area