Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 03:58 PM

12 posts, read 38,548 times

Advertisements

We're staying at Ocean Lakaes, and our son wants to visit the Pavillion Arcade in Garden City. We thought we'd combine it with a visit to the pier and maybe a hot dog at Sam's. What's the parking situation like in that area? We won't be going on the beach, but we could end up killing several hours. Any suggestions on where to park and what it will cost us? Thanks very much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 04:17 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,389 times
There is parking along Atlantic Ave in front of the Arcade, Sam's, and the other businesses. There is also parking at the pier, but you may not have much luck there, it is almost always filled up. They also just built a parking lot off of S. Waccamaw just beside Sam's. Most parking in Garden City is free, but the new parking lot may be an exception (I am not sure). Have a great time!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:28 PM

Thank you!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 09:05 PM

36 posts, read 111,191 times
The parking lot behind Sams Corner costs $1 for an hour and then there are different rates for longer but I can't remember what they are, don't think it's over $5 tho. By the way there is a band on the pier everynight at 8:30 Pm with an area for dancing or just sitting, have spent a few evenings there enjoying the music and people watching. The Garden City Peir website has a list of who is playing each night.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:40 AM

142 posts, read 363,271 times
As mentioned the parking lot is $1 an hour or $6 all day, there is plenty of free parking along the roads, just make sure you are not on a sidewalk or over the white line in the street. Be sure you are not close to the intersection nor park along the street sides of the paid parking lot or where signs say no parking, even if other cars are parked there, don;t or you may be towed. Some days cars can park illegally all day and not be bothered other days they tow 6 or 8 cars, it just depends on the daily mood.

2 weeks ago there was a 40' Mercedes RV/bus parked on Waccamaw in front of the new parking lot from 10:30 am to 5:15 PM right on the corner so turning onto Waccamaw was quite hazardous, yes it was on the sidewalk and over the white line, I saw Horry County police go by it no fewer than 4 times and no problem, I know 2 people who took pictures of this, the next week 4 cars were towed from the same spot.

Have fun and if you go out to the pier for music, dancing and a few drinks, remember to bring cash as they do not take charge cards at the pier end bar they do accept cards at the other bar by the snack bar.

Gary

Old 07-11-2012, 05:49 PM

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful! When I looked the peir's website, I saw there is also an arcade on the pier. Any opinions on which arcade would be better for a 9 year old? (The arcade on the pier or the one beside Sam's? Thanks again!!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:45 PM

36 posts, read 111,191 times
They are both full of fun stuff for a 9 yr old, be sure to take lots of money..lol The one on the pier is smaller than the one beside Sams. I have only been at this location for about 8 months and am finding fun new stuff around here all the time. I always get a good feeling when walking around the pier and shops, especially at night with all the lights and people sorta like Myrtle Beach used to be long ago, clean, safe and family friendly.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:04 AM

I have only walked through the pier arcade once, but I don't remember them having all that much. I would say the Pavilion Arcade is the better bet. If your 9 year old likes Guitar Hero be sure to either bring lots of money (like chozz suggested) or blindfold him when walking in the front of the arcade. That is the one thing that empties our pockets every time .... and they have it at home

Old 07-13-2012, 03:12 PM

142 posts, read 363,271 times
I don't play arcade games any longer so I don't know if things have changed but a quick story, both arcades use the same tokens, or did, my son when he was around 12 figured out how to make money, he would go across the street and buy a dollar or 2 worth of tokens then go to the pier and would wait for someone who was going to buy some and say he was leaving and would they buy his, of course they would, he would now go across the street and buy a few dollars worth, the pier gave 3 tokens for a dollar and the Pavilion gave 4.

Today he is with Pitney Bowes and handles Major and Govt. Accounts.

Gary

Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM

Love it! That is so funny and a great tip! If my kids ever want to go to the pier arcade we will go to the other one first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area