Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:22 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,350,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
People let their pets roam free all over the place and with no tags
Even PawleysDude roams around this way I understand

Seriously, has anyone seen an armadillo around MB? I read an article about a year ago stating such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 PM

62 posts, read 125,451 times
It was hotter in MA last week than it was in Myrtle Beach! Didn't check the temps in Conway though I would imagine a bit hotter being inland.

Love MB from Sept-June. My favorite months of the year there, cannot wait to return!!

I would make sure you walk your pet on-leash in the early mornings, check the pavement with your hand if it's hot to the touch please walk your beloved animal on the grass instead, keep a sharp eye out for snakes, they are also in trees.

All the Best!!

Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,553,668 times
Copperheads are my only fear when walking the dog. We ran into a good size one on a walk last year at the boundary of the complex grass and the wooded area in Murrells Inlet. Glad I saw it before my Pug did. Copperheads will play dead at times when threatened. They also blend in with leave litter. So you or your dog might step on it before you see it. While a bite to an adult will not be lethal, a bite to a dog, especially a small dog, will be.

I now always examine where my dog is about to sniff before I let him do so.....

Old 06-28-2012, 03:11 AM

47 posts, read 113,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttobewarm View Post
It was hotter in MA last week than it was in Myrtle Beach! Didn't check the temps in Conway though I would imagine a bit hotter being inland.

Love MB from Sept-June. My favorite months of the year there, cannot wait to return!!

I would make sure you walk your pet on-leash in the early mornings, check the pavement with your hand if it's hot to the touch please walk your beloved animal on the grass instead, keep a sharp eye out for snakes, they are also in trees.

All the Best!!
even in MA when I jog I make sure my dog is jogging on the grass .....its was insanely hot last week in MA!!!

Old 06-28-2012, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Copperheads are my only fear when walking the dog. We ran into a good size one on a walk last year at the boundary of the complex grass and the wooded area in Murrells Inlet. Glad I saw it before my Pug did. Copperheads will play dead at times when threatened. They also blend in with leave litter. So you or your dog might step on it before you see it. While a bite to an adult will not be lethal, a bite to a dog, especially a small dog, will be.

I now always examine where my dog is about to sniff before I let him do so.....
and I have a small dog .....do snakes ever end up in your house/apartments??? I have no idea what id do if a snake was in my apartment besides scream lol

Old 06-28-2012, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I agree with this 100%. People let their pets roam free all over the place and with no tags...it's very sad. I have never seen a dead dog on a street hit by a car until I moved here. Now I have seen several not to mention all the other animals.

Also agree on it depends on where you live here. I live in Conway and see all kinds of animals including snakes and I didn't see it but aligators have been in the neighbors yards. Tons of bugs, it's the South and it's hot. We spend a lot of money on pest control and still see huge bugs all the time. Fire ants might be the worst thing to deal with but after awhile you figure out what to buy and how to treat the yard. I haven't laid out in the grass or walked barefoot outside since moving here, just can't do it anymore. There is no breeze in Conway to keep away the bugs. Usually when I'm out in my yard I'm swating at something because there are so many very large bugs flying around. I'm not trying to scare anyone but I wish I knew this before I bought a house here. tmozer mentioned Central Jersey, well thats where I'm from and can't even compare the amount or size bugs. Visting here is a lot different than moving here. Now if you move closer to the beach like vrexy said or even in a busy sub-division in Conway it will probably be different but out in the country or near the country it's bad with the bugs....trust me!

I'm going to be that crazy lady who tries rescueing all the stray dogs....I can see it now lol ....as far as giant bugs go....I guess ill have to get over it....ew lol

Old 06-28-2012, 07:33 AM

214 posts, read 650,498 times
I totally agree with the people talking about dogs roaming loose here, stray cats are also EVERYWHERE. My wife likes to joke that the "stray" should be SC's official animal. I dont have a fenced in yard where I live but I am always outside when my dogs are.......although all the neighborhood dogs roam free all day and like to come and try to fight my dogs, yippee. Im sure all the dogs you see are protected from ticks and heartworm

Sorry irresponsible pet owners just **** me off.

I have seen a few small alligators her and here, none very large though. Seen one cotton mouth? but really nothing to scary. Lots of mosquitoes, ants, nats, cockroaches and other annoying things that bite.

Here are a few pics I took of notable creatures since I have been here:

Last edited by Scotty Dosent Know; 06-28-2012 at 07:47 AM..

Old 06-28-2012, 09:15 AM

31 posts, read 57,509 times
I live in little river and have lived in NMB. Feral cats are everywhere. People that feed them start neighborhood wars because folks dont like the strays walking on their cars and pooping in thier flowerbeds. Don't see as many stray dogs around, but there are those that let them run wild. Some neighborhoods dont allow fencing, which is just crazy to me, but to each their own. My hubby worked in sales for a pest control co for a while when we first moved here. LOTS of critters. Gives me heebie-jeebies. Have not personally run into anything I did not see up north, except for a hedgehog once and the fox squirrels. First time I saw a fox squirrel I had to look it up to see what the heck it was!!

Old 06-28-2012, 04:35 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,787,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krconte View Post
I'm going to be that crazy lady who tries rescueing all the stray dogs....I can see it now lol ....as far as giant bugs go....I guess ill have to get over it....ew lol
Well thats me and it's very stressful, upsetting and frustrating. The laws here regarding animal control, animal abuse/neglet are antiquated. I've learned also that many people just turn the other cheek, don't want to get involved and even when reported a lot of times nothing is done about it. I've put myself in dangerous and illegal situations trying to help animals here and it's really sad. Animals are treated badly everywhere but here it seems always in my face....very stressful atmosphere if you're a person it would bother.

I have a phobia of bugs to begin with but if bugs don't bother you much then I guess you can get over it.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Well thats me and it's very stressful, upsetting and frustrating. The laws here regarding animal control, animal abuse/neglet are antiquated. I've learned also that many people just turn the other cheek, don't want to get involved and even when reported a lot of times nothing is done about it. I've put myself in dangerous and illegal situations trying to help animals here and it's really sad. Animals are treated badly everywhere but here it seems always in my face....very stressful atmosphere if you're a person it would bother.

I have a phobia of bugs to begin with but if bugs don't bother you much then I guess you can get over it.
Where ever I chose to relocate there is going to be something new and different...such as bugs. It will be stressful if I see strays everywhere, but theres nothing ONE person can do unless we get a bunch of folks who feel just as stressful and start a rescue group....wich I will most likely try to put together because Im a nerd like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area