Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:29 PM

47 posts, read 113,732 times

Advertisements

I am a student intersted in CCU. I am from MA and am on a mission to find a small mayberry town. I am not racist but I am looking for a more white populated towns. (truely not a racist just had bad experiences living near a colored populated town). I want that small southern town feeling and im having doubts that CCU is right for me because it will not provide me that experience that im looking for. :/ I was looking into Aynor or Loris anywhere else??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 03:34 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,305,427 times
"Colored"? Really? In 2012?

I was also born and bred in the North, and I can tell you that, based on having visited many Southern states over the years and having traveled all over, not just the touristy areas, it is very different from the North in the sense that there are many, many black people who live in the country and in the small towns of the South. They're not just concentrated in the large cities like they tend to be in the North. Black and white mingle much more freely and live within closer proximity as a rule in the South than they do in the North. Loris, for example, is 39% black, according to the statistics here on C-D. Another small town in SC, Bamberg, which I just chose at random to make a point, is 55% black. Compare those statistics to a couple of randomly chosen small towns in MA; New Salem is 0.8% black and Westwood is a mere 0.4% black. That is a huge difference. If you checked the stats on every small town in MA and every small town in SC save the ultra wealthy areas full of tourists and transplants, you would no doubt find the same ratios. We just drove through a rural area dotted with small towns roughly between Myrtle Beach and Rockingham, NC a few weeks ago and when we did see someone out in their yard, they were almost always black. IOW, you probably won't find a small town in SC that is white enough for you.

"Mayberry" probably only exists on "The Andy Griffith Show", and since it's a term used to describe an idyllic small town, your implication that it should be "white populated" does actually imply a racist attitude, whether you mean to or not. Have you never had a bad experience with white people? So you met some bad black people so all black people are bad?

If you are truly seeking a lily white small town, you probably need to reconsider moving South.

Last edited by canudigit; 05-22-2012 at 04:24 PM..

Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,892,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krconte View Post
I am from MA and am on a mission to find a small mayberry town. I am not racist but I am looking for a more white populated towns. (truely not a racist just had bad experiences living near a colored populated town).
UUGGHH I was very tempted to steer clear of this thread, but here I am. If you are interest / or uninterested in a town simply because of the populations skin color then I would have to disagree with your assertion that you are not a racist. Perhaps you are confusing your "bad experiences living near a colored populated town" (you words not mine ) with experiences you may have had living near a poor or less affluent town and although you don't see it, skin color really wasn't what you had a problem with. Was it crime that you had an issue with and that crime just happened to be in a town populated by people that had a different skin color than you?

We once lived in a neighborhood that was predominately African Americans, in fact I think we were the only white people on our entire street. We hated it! Not because our neighbors were black. We hated it because we felt we needed to duck for cover when gun shots went off outside on the street. We hated it when we walked up the street to go to see our doctor and found a bag of crack on the ground. We hated it because after flagging down a police officer to pick it up we found the same bag still laying in the street because the officer got distracted by another crime and left it there for any kid walking up the street to find. We hated it when the drunk and drugged up youth would start raising hell every night. These were "bad experiences" but they had nothing to do with the skin color of the people in our neighborhood, they were because we lived in a poor town. Poverty often breeds hopelessness, and hopelessness inevitably breeds crime.

I point this out because maybe you are confused about your own "bad experiences" and what they stem from. If not, then you need to reevaluate your thoughts on racism. If you want to live in a neighborhood that is segregated (by definition: restricted to one group, especially exclusively on the basis of racial or ethnic membership) then, yes, that is racist.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:43 PM

214 posts, read 649,593 times
OP how do you feel about Orientals? That is a joke btw

Maybe you moved to the wrong area, you do realize SC is comprised of roughly 1/3rd black people dont you?

With that said Canudigit is right here in SC all of the small rural towns seem to have a large population of black people. This was also a little weird to me since where I am originally from it is mainly white and hispanic people that live out in the rural areas but its different every where I guess.

I also agree with neecewh, you most likely had problems in the area you lived in due to it being a poor town/area and not a "black" area. Crime etc. tends to run rampant in any area with a low income no matter what color people are living there.

+ I also like the fact neecewh used the terms "african american" and "white" in the same sentence LOL I think we prefer the term "european american"

With both of those things said small town, out in the country SC is probably not for you. Once you leave the grand strand there are basically no jobs or opportunitys. Most small towns here are pretty sad and nothing like "Mayberry". They usually consist of several nice historic homes and lots of trailers, shacks, and boarded up and or failing businesses. People struggling to make ends meet is probably not the white picket fence lala land you are looking for.

Where are you planning on going to school anyway if you move away from CCU??

Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty Dosent Know View Post
+ I also like the fact neecewh used the terms "african american" and "white" in the same sentence LOL I think we prefer the term "european american"

LOL ... It is a slippery slop ain't it, Scotty? I actually would prefer human being (all around), but in Elkton, MD, the neighborhood I lived in, that was the "label" of choice. Wouldn't it to be nice if we could get to a label-less place?

Old 05-23-2012, 02:37 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krconte View Post
I am a student intersted in CCU. I am from MA and am on a mission to find a small mayberry town. I am not racist but I am looking for a more white populated towns.
FYI, the real Mayberry was in the Piedmont of North Carolina. You are looking in the wrong part of the state if you are seeking a mostly white population. You might look in the western part of the state like around Clemson.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:27 AM

I am very sorry. My OP did sound a bit racist. my experiences were very bad, guns, drugs, rude rude people. The people who live off welfare etc. I went to a community college in Springfield ma and once a week there would be a stabbing or guns on campus let alone sexual assaults. and yes mainly colored people did the crimes. A TON of gangs were there as well. so yes i was a little naive when i wrote my OP. I don’t care if your blue, i don’t want to live around people who are careless, rude, and criminals. The entire year barely anyone opened the door for me, or said goodmorning...anyways i am sorry if i sound racist. I was looking for a small town near CCU with low to no crime. I also know what im looking for (the southern life style) is going to be hard to find near ANY college town. Im just sick of rude people whites included. Rumor has it southern people are nicer lol

Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 AM

Another member of the forum posted this a while back. Maybe it will help you get the information you are looking for.

Crime Map Beta - Trulia

Old 05-25-2012, 09:32 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,131,396 times
You won't find what you are looking for here. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area