Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 12:36 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times

Advertisements

301 Whitchurch Highlands International Clb, Murrells Inlet SC - Trulia International club homes.

Prince Creek Homes for Sale | Prince Creek Real Estate | Prince Creek Murrells Inlet

Prince Creek .....Homes in Tournament Players Club....(TPC) Where Dustin Johnson played!

This may be a bit of a repeat but the one link didn't work on my last post.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM

142 posts, read 363,348 times
You have a lot of info to digest and yes there are not only many golf neighbors but there are some that are for 55 and up only, if they do not wish to have children playing outside (like that happens much today) some of these over 55 areas have all kinds of get-togethers and such to keep everyone active.

Others want nothing to do with over 55 communities. Some do not want to be held to the laws of the neighborhood, (homeowners association, who dictate if you can hang a flag or what kind of flowers you can plant and where) there are many things to think about when making your final move, not just how close is the boardwalk (which there is not one any where within hours of here, a real boardwalk) or the beach.

I know and have met too many folks who ended up here and wished they had looked around more before the purchased.

I suggest your parents rent here for 1 year, so they can get to know the area and what it is like at different times of the year, this will allow them to make an informed decision.

Gary

Old 05-11-2012, 02:01 PM

460 posts, read 1,017,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary2beach View Post
You have a lot of info to digest and yes there are not only many golf neighbors but there are some that are for 55 and up only, if they do not wish to have children playing outside (like that happens much today) some of these over 55 areas have all kinds of get-togethers and such to keep everyone active.

Others want nothing to do with over 55 communities. Some do not want to be held to the laws of the neighborhood, (homeowners association, who dictate if you can hang a flag or what kind of flowers you can plant and where) there are many things to think about when making your final move, not just how close is the boardwalk (which there is not one any where within hours of here, a real boardwalk) or the beach.

I know and have met too many folks who ended up here and wished they had looked around more before the purchased.

I suggest your parents rent here for 1 year, so they can get to know the area and what it is like at different times of the year, this will allow them to make an informed decision.

Gary
That's a really good idea! I will definitely mention it to them.

They would definitely have to decide about the 55 and up communities or not.. we would have to do more research. Because if that means their grand kids won't be able to come and visit them.. they wouldn't like that at all. But I'm sure the rules are different at different communities... that's why I'm doing my research

Thanks!

Old 05-11-2012, 07:14 PM

790 posts, read 1,621,451 times
The suggestion of renting a year definitely makes sense. We did so when we moved here and it helped us get the lay of the land before building.

One golf community that has not been mentioned here is The Villages at Arrowhead and Arrowhead Grande. It is near everything (mall, airport, 10 minutes to the beach, convenient to Broadway at the Beach, Target, Wallmart, Home Depot, etc.) but also positioned so that one can avoid tourist traffic by suing the non-traditional roads. It has a large community pool and tennis courts. We lived there and loved it...just couldn't find a house that we wanted in our price range and ended up building nearby.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
They would definitely have to decide about the 55 and up communities or not.. we would have to do more research. Because if that means their grand kids won't be able to come and visit them.. they wouldn't like that at all.
A 55+ plus community normally means that children can't live there permanently. Most of them expect that kids will visit and sometimes have play-grounds for them. But, you have to be careful about the rules.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
That's a really good idea! I will definitely mention it to them.

They would definitely have to decide about the 55 and up communities or not.. we would have to do more research. Because if that means their grand kids won't be able to come and visit them.. they wouldn't like that at all. But I'm sure the rules are different at different communities... that's why I'm doing my research

Thanks!
Yes, rules are different in different communities.

However I have found a "set" amount of days is given for visits.
I did have one realtor tell me the community she was "showing me"( and lived in herself) didn't force the rules on that.
But, IMHO all it takes is one crabby person to insist that the rules be followed. I knew in my heart that that rule could be enforced and just wouldn't believe her senerio.
Its not just the rule though. Some 55 members buy into that type of community because they don't want children around. ( sorry to say)
They want no noise and peace and quiet. The children then are not very welcomed into the pool area or other areas.

There are many communities that have retirees. All that were mentioned here as a matter of fact. In a regular community at least there is no worry of "timeframes" for visits from family or children.

In fact I want my grown daughters to be able to come whenever they wish, even when I am not here. Since they aren't 55 the rules would even apply to them coming to our home. What written in those rules can be applied, no matter what someone says about "there not."

Visit a develpment and walk around, talk with people...Its important to buy in the right one.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:57 PM

12 posts, read 58,728 times
Default Myrtle Beach - Conway area 55+

Myrtle Trace! One member of household must be 55; grandchildren can
visit. See Myrtle Trace : Conway South Carolina Neighborhood Information & Events - call Realtor, Crow - she is great and
lives there!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgal47 View Post
Myrtle Trace! One member of household must be 55; grandchildren can visit.
Thanks for the link. The listing prices are reasonable.

Old 05-30-2012, 02:33 PM

86 posts, read 268,748 times
The Grande Dunes in Myrtle Beach isn't a bad place to be if you like to be in the middle of everything. Very safe area too especially with the community gates, and access to the Ocean Club will ensure easy travels to the beach. I've seen a few homes there in the mid 500s-600s, so it may not be a bad choice. The only thing that would worry me are the relatively high HOA fees compared to the rest of the region.

Like someone else said, the TPC might be a great alternative too.

Anywhere in Pawley's Island would be beautiful as well.

Another place would be to look into DeBordieu Colony. South of Pawleys, and they really do have some amazing places to live down there. The only downside is that it is far removed from just about everywhere, and may take up to an hour or more to get to places, especially with summer traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area