Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:53 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,687,329 times

Advertisements

Having moved here from a rural area of PA I find our Myrtle Beach area just a joy to live in. One of the most important reasons is that there is never a dull day. We have so many choices of things to do. I will list some and then add some pictures to the thread ( soon) to show an example of what I am speaking about. So hoping this will answer some of your questions along the way if your planning on a move to this area.

1. The ocean of course is a full day in itself, a place to relax, swim, or just stroll.
2. The Market Commons...This is a little town that arose from the old army base. It has all the stores you dream of and also a 14 theater, Barnes and Nobles, and restaurants galore. Nice places to sit outside and watch the world go by. Also nice places to walk along the lake, jog, or bike ride.
3. Barefoot Landing. Nice small, boutique stores and little bridges over waterways to walk.
4.Broadway at the Beach...Great for shopping and restaurants. Cute unique stores. Fantastic area to walk. Margaritaville! Liberty Steakhouse! All kinds of places to have a bite to eat or even that ice cream cone .
5. Golf...Keep the hubby's busy with 100 golf courses at hand.
6. Easy drive to the Calabash and Calahan's store. Go see the fishing boats of the famous Calabash area.
7. Charleston is only two hours away.
8. Great hospitals and wonderful doctors.
9. A pet friendly area...especially Surfside Beach. Good pet doctors available.
10. A major pet surgeon up in Mt. Pleasant.
11. Wonderful visits to Shem Creek and Mt.Pleasant area.
12. Murrells Inlet...a small little fishing village. Lots of restaurants there too.
13. The Gulf Stream restaurant and its views.
14. All the festivals here and there. You just could never get to them all.
From Georgetown to Conway to North Myrtle Beach.
15. The blessing of the Inlet. A moving event and lots of vendors there too.
16. The "Oh so Many" consignment shops with some of the most wonderful, new, and unique finds.
17. Places to go fishing and boating
18. Lots of smiling faces. I will never get over how people here, who you don't know, will spend an hour talking to you and enjoying your company...It will forever amaze me.
19. The Pirates Show that kids love.
20. All the other shows and entertainers that come here.

Ok I'll stop at 20 for now. Your all welcome to add things you love.
It is so nice to stay busy all year long. To be able to swim in April and May and have this super sunshine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 02:49 PM

7 posts, read 9,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Having moved here from a rural area of PA I find our Myrtle Beach area just a joy to live in. One of the most important reasons is that there is never a dull day. We have so many choices of things to do. I will list some and then add some pictures to the thread ( soon) to show an example of what I am speaking about. So hoping this will answer some of your questions along the way if your planning on a move to this area.

1. The ocean of course is a full day in itself, a place to relax, swim, or just stroll.
2. The Market Commons...This is a little town that arose from the old army base. It has all the stores you dream of and also a 14 theater, Barnes and Nobles, and restaurants galore. Nice places to sit outside and watch the world go by. Also nice places to walk along the lake, jog, or bike ride.
3. Barefoot Landing. Nice small, boutique stores and little bridges over waterways to walk.
4.Broadway at the Beach...Great for shopping and restaurants. Cute unique stores. Fantastic area to walk. Margaritaville! Liberty Steakhouse! All kinds of places to have a bite to eat or even that ice cream cone .
6. Easy drive to the Calabash and Calahan's store. Go see the fishing boats of the famous Calabash area.
12. Murrells Inlet...a small little fishing village. Lots of restaurants there too.
16. The "Oh so Many" consignment shops with some of the most wonderful, new, and unique finds.
18. Lots of smiling faces. I will never get over how people here, who you don't know, will spend an hour talking to you and enjoying your company...It will forever amaze me.

It is so nice to stay busy all year long. To be able to swim in April and May and have this super sunshine.
Hi, Great reading your positive post. I am thinking of retiring to 'somewhere' in the Myrtle Beach area but am confused as to where to even start looking. Specifically, I would like to purchase a condo upto $ 75K which is close to an indoor mall and health club. Also, any suggestions as to an inexpensive place to stay while I look around? Thanks very much for any help.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:04 PM

You might get a good price at Red Roof which is near the airport and nestled into some palms.It is on route 17 and I think it goes under the "Market Commons Red Roof."
It is a good location to look in the southern end of Myrtle Beach.There is the smaller Inlet Mall and the larger and new Coastal Grand Mall. There is a nice gym on 544.
Its possible you might find a condo in the Forestbrook area or Socastee perhaps. Try to google those areas of Myrtle Beach. Condos closer to the beach are somewhat higher then that.
You can always DM me for a realtor who would work with you I happened upon a good one down here.
BTW...That Red Roof is pet friendly as is the LaQuinta down by Broadway at the Beach.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate6 View Post
Hi, Great reading your positive post. I am thinking of retiring to 'somewhere' in the Myrtle Beach area but am confused as to where to even start looking. Specifically, I would like to purchase a condo upto $ 75K which is close to an indoor mall and health club. Also, any suggestions as to an inexpensive place to stay while I look around? Thanks very much for any help.
950 Forestbrook Rd APT D7, Myrtle Beach, SC 29579 MLS# 1111178 - Zillow
Here is one example on Forestbrook

Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 PM

Try new condos under Queens Harbor
Also try Payton Place in Forestbrook, Myrtle Beach. These run just about your pricing.....

Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM

214 posts, read 261,849 times
Default you can also add........

about $175 a month for the HOA fees - 950 Forestbrook Rd. D-7 D-7 - Listing # 1111178 - Penny Boling - looks like a nice place .

Old 05-07-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e66330 View Post
about $175 a month for the HOA fees - 950 Forestbrook Rd. D-7 D-7 - Listing # 1111178 - Penny Boling - looks like a nice place .
Ohhhh, that is a bit high for monthly dues I think. I wonder if in the brand new Queens Harbor if they will be that costly per month.
It does make a difference if they are doing your grass and if it pays for your water or sewer. Maybe if there is a pool to maintain.

A bit closer to the beach is Jamestowne Colony and they have an area of smaller condos. They also have a cute little pool nestled in there and it is within walking to quite a few stores and restaurants. That would go under Garden City. I don't know if one is for sale there or not though.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM

70 posts, read 163,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post

sounds great!!northerner here from ny..looking to relocate w my wife and boys ages 8 and 12 and our 2 Labs!! lol..do you recommend this area to raise young children? what schools do you recommend? my wife is an RN I'm a retired police officer..working security at a hospital and school right now..we would luv to get a ranch blocks from the beach..one drawback my boys are big ice hockey fans do you know of any ice rinks where there are youth hockey leagues ?? closet i could find was in charleston..is charleston more family friendly?? we visited myrtle last summer coming down again this year(stayed at the dunes condo)..just loved it!! thanks for your help!!

Old 05-07-2012, 03:12 PM

There are some ranch homes for sale in Surfside Beach you would pay more there by the beach then a bit inland. Ranch homes by the beach area would be just under $300 approx. on upwards.
There are some others except they are on leased land and I wouldn't recommentd that.
I don't know of any ice hockey here.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 PM

70 posts, read 163,923 times
thanks!!..what schools are associated w surfside?? are they highly rated??? looking at middle and high schools?? thanks..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area