Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 PM

11 posts, read 25,963 times

Advertisements

Summering are the mayor? Its terrible down here and nasty. Don't mislead, it is a vacation spot 1 week, then go home. oh my gosh! I can't lie, people are very rude and there is no law, I feel very unsafe. I would never tell someone to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 07:34 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,885,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by posnivy View Post
Summering are the mayor? Its terrible down here and nasty. Don't mislead, it is a vacation spot 1 week, then go home. oh my gosh! I can't lie, people are very rude and there is no law, I feel very unsafe. I would never tell someone to move here.
There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you live, posnivy. Summering has been a great help to not only myself, but many others that are relocating to the MB area. I am sorry to hear you are so unhappy here, hopefully you find your "perfect" place.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:03 PM

312 posts, read 734,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by posnivy View Post

I understand...but oh dear you will be crucified now my dear....Summering is a fav here...she is in la la Myrtle Beach land and loooves it here.....good for her! But not all do.....

Old 05-29-2015, 03:33 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,714,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
There is nothing wrong with being proud of where you live, posnivy. Summering has been a great help to not only myself, but many others that are relocating to the MB area. I am sorry to hear you are so unhappy here, hopefully you find your "perfect" place.
Well now that I have been here permanently for four years I can say the same about loving it here.
I don't live in the downtown action area, nor did we choose to.

We live in a quiet, calm area where the most movement here is from the turtles on the pond.

Not far is the Market Common, the Mall and we are 5 minutes to the airport.

We have four book stores close by. My favorite stores of Home Goods, Hobby Lobby, Michaels and
AC Moore. Not to mention a ton of furniture stores and a huge bunch of furniture consignment stores.

There are a least four movie houses nearby holding 8 to 14 theaters. Golf galore, bowling, fitness all are abundant.

Best of all for me is that I am 8 minutes to the ocean.

So what can be bad. We stay so busy.....There are days we just head to Broadway at the Beach to stroll around. Sometimes Barefoot landing also. Both have small stores to stroll in and out of. Take in a show also. We have gone many times to the shows in MB.

I know someone thought I was not telling truths. Well, I am.....This is how we feel.
Being bored in retirement is something that is not good. Nor would it be to spend the winters shoveling snow in the cold.

My heart grows with each day living here. The constant busy makes me smile.
Its true...Summering loves Myrtle Beach.

No one pays me to love it. I love it because I feel it in my bones. Just an awesome place to put your roots. An awesome place to have some fun. Best Wishes

Old 05-29-2015, 03:37 PM

BTW...People in Myrtle Beach are sweeter then you can imagine. The long
timers are just sweethearts. You'll find that out very quick. For awhile I was stunned by this.

Also, plan where you live. There are some nice areas in South Myrtle Beach. Quiet, comfortable, and safe. I feel very safe where I live. I know a few other places I would recommend.

Do your research, and ask questions. Best of luck.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:06 PM

1,127 posts, read 1,726,312 times
So lets get back on topic and discuss the great things to do around here....

How about classes with the OLLI program through Coastal Carolina- unbelievable variety and such a good value
Boating on one of our nearby rivers
Opportunities for exploring natural environments like Huntington Beach State Park and the Waccamaw National Wildlife Reserve to name only 2 of about 15 areas within 40 miles
Hobcaw Barony and all the cool stuff they offer there
Moveable Feast luncheons
Kayaking with Surf the Earth or Blackwater Outfitters

...the list could go on for a long time! There is no reason to be bored around here unless you just want to be!

...and for the naysayers....The South isn't for everyone. If you're from the Midwest or the West Coast in particular, you could have a really hard time assimilating to this area. The funny thing is, most folks I know think that its the "Yankees" from the Northeast who would hate it here, but they love it the most BECAUSE its so different from what they have left! go figure. So if you're here and you hate it, that's unfortunate and hopefully you can find your own bliss soon- here or elsewhere;

And Summering- I, for one, appreciate your joyful heart and your positive attitude and I hope that you will not lose those as time goes by. However, perhaps we should not tell everyone of our wonderful corner of the world cuz then "they" will all come down and wreck it.
Have a great day....

Old 06-10-2015, 09:01 AM

LOL Busydesk, but as we know they are coming already.
After a long, snowy winter we seem to have more northerners heading here.
You can tell it by the vast number of license plates from other states.

As you mentioned there are lots of water activities. You can rent a pontoon boat off of 544 in Socastee. Stop by that wonderful library on the way and pick up a book. Bright, sunlit, and full of books to enjoy.

Boats can be rented in Murrells Inlet too.

Oh how I'd like to keep our southern secret all to ourself. There is no logical reason not to love this special place.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:11 PM

174 posts, read 258,875 times
Summering, you are an inspiration. I am pretty new here, but I have read many of your posts and have learned a great deal. Thank you. You have such a positive attitude about life. I bet you have a lot of friends. We are planning to sell our home in CT next spring and either rent or buy a home in the Myrtle Beach area. Will be visiting in July for 2 weeks to decide, or at least try to decide on a location. Hope to visit Little River, Myrtle Beach and Murrells Inlet. I was wondering if you can share the name of your realtor. We are hoping to find a single level home for about $250,000. Can possibly go up to $300,000 in a nice, safe community. We don't need to have an "activities director", but do want lots of opportunities to meet people and do things. Also, do you know anything about Emmens Preserve? You may pm me if you wish. I finally learned how to read and respond to messages. Since I've been in CT for my whole life, I sometimes get a little nervous about making this move. But all the things you listed about what people can do in the area makes me feel that it's the right place for us too.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:18 AM

312 posts, read 517,790 times
goldentraveler You sound like you would make wonderful neighbors. I'll be looking in that range this fall. P.M. me your finds. ha ha I am renting a house for a year, and I am not "young", but I have a five year old son. My problem is that I found some great areas, but I don't want him on the bus for 11 miles to the elementary school in a bus that isn't air conditioned. So, we'll see what I can find there.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:35 PM

174 posts, read 258,875 times
SCtoLongIsland, I wish you luck with finding the perfect spot for your family. By renting a house you will surely know after that much time whether the area is right for you or not. I was surprised to hear that the school buses aren't air conditioned down there. I thought for sure they would be, given the temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area