Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 02:17 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,716,293 times

Advertisements

Just a note regarding a couple area restaurants...
We saw that Gilligan's has closed, permanently. Apparently our experience there was indicative of the norm rather than the exception....
JD's Steakhouse is apparently getting ready to open right next to the old Mayor's House- we saw there is a "hiring" sign out in front.....
We have been to Sanford's Smokehouse twice in the last 6 weeks and each time it was closed....once was a Monday, but the other was Saturday night...if anyone has insight I'd sure like to know what's going on as the menu sounds like it would work for us on occasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 04:41 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,826,677 times
Hadn't noticed that Gilligan's had closed, but the only surprise is how long they hung on. We ate there a couple times after they opened and found it to be typical tourist and completely unremarkable. JD's moved a year or so ago from the old Shabby's building to behind the Mayor's House. They're in the location that previously housed Dirty LuLu's as well as an Italian restaurant whose name escapes me. JD's is a friendly, relaxed place; I give the food about a 7. We'll occasionally pick up a restaurant.com certificate for them and drop by for an inexpensive steak. The hiring sign is probably gearing up for the summer season.

If Sanford's has closed, I hadn't noticed that, either, although it's not a big surprise. I'm a big bbq & ribs fan, but I'm also probably too picky. What I ate there was disappointing. If you haven't tried it, Quigley's is just around the corner from Sanford's. Quigley's is casual, with a creative chef. They've got a microbrewery and their chili is amazing. If you like fish tacos, their blackened mahi tacos are excellent. Their chicken and waffles is also very good. Did I mention they're a micro-brewery?

On a related note, Pasteria 811 has moved into the old Bove building, just South of the Fresh Market. They've been a locals favorite for about 20 years, thriving in a hidden location with almost no advertising. They're worth checking out.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:49 PM

I am anxious to try the Pasteria. I noticed their advertisement in the hotel's restaurant guide. It will be on 'the list'!

Old 02-14-2012, 03:09 PM

Default Sanford's

FWIW - The Sanford's sign is gone from the building, and there was a truck out front that appeared to be loading stuff. I guess they could have been moving to a new location?

There has been intermittent activity over the past few months at the old Shabby's restaurant, just above True Blue Nursery. It will be interesting to see what shows up there.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
On a related note, Pasteria 811 has moved into the old Bove building, just South of the Fresh Market. They've been a locals favorite for about 20 years, thriving in a hidden location with almost no advertising. They're worth checking out.
Good for them! When I worked at Litchfield Plantation, the Carriage House Club manager and I would have our weekly meeting there over lunch. The same day the GM and Director of Sales for Pawleys Plantation would have their weekly meeting over lunch also.

Miss that salad!

Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 AM

Had a nice meal at Ocean One in Litchfield over the weekend. They offered a She Crab Soup which disappointed us, but now my desire to have a "good one" is piqued. Anyone have a suggestion for a good example of this dish?
And we had 2 more folks recommend the Pasteria to us on this trip, so it is now on the "Must" list!
Please keep the good ideas coming!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
...They offered a She Crab Soup which disappointed us, but now my desire to have a "good one" is piqued. Anyone have a suggestion for a good example of this dish?
Have you eaten at Chive Blossom (AKA Jive Possum)? Many folks rave about the restaurant and particularly their she crab soup. For the sake of full disclosure, I'm not a big fan of this dish, and I'm not a big fan of this restaurant. I've been there a few times, but I really struggle to find any man-food on the menu. I guess it's kinda a ladies' place. Regardless, I know enough folks who think it's wonderful, to just admit I'm probably wrong on this one. But not wrong enough to go back.

Have you tried River Room in Georgetown? It's about as close to uptown dining as we do, but it's still casual and relaxed. They serve excellent shrimp & grits, and if their specials include either the seared tuna or herb encrusted grouper, you can't go wrong with either one. During the winter, their lunch specials usually include a chicken and sausage gumbo that's as good as any gumbo I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a bunch.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Default Update on Sanford's

It seems that Sanford's Smokehouse is now Louis's at Sanford's. "Louis Osteen, James Beard award-winning chef, is back in Pawleys serving up refined Lowcountry dishes..." Sanford's apparently shut down briefly for changes and a new sign, and Osteen is taking over at least chef duties. Sounds like an interesting marriage. When Osteen had his own restaurant here, it was some of the priciest food in town. Sanford's Smokehouse, while not cheap, was on the lower end of the sit-down spectrum. Should be fun to watch...

Old 02-23-2012, 01:23 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,639 times
I agree with PD about Chive Blossom. It's a chick flick ~ restaurant style. I'm a chick (my full disclosure!) who ate there once and will most likely never go back, either. Food was okay, etc. I am not trying to diss the place at all. Just think if you are going to go there you should have opinions about the place.........

Old 02-24-2012, 01:47 PM

Well for sure, Vrexy, there is no shortage of opinions HERE!! That's why I keep coming around!
PD, I will put River Room on the list as well...is it waterfront, by chance?

Off-topic, but gotta ask...did y'all get snow last weekend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area