Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:51 PM

1,124 posts, read 1,717,779 times

Advertisements

We had the chance to try several places this trip- Pasteria was good- we had the lobster ravioli and the veal/sausage stew; we ate at Russell's in Murrells Inlet and enjoyed that meal as well-we had the MahiMahi special and a platter combo; we also tried the Salt Water Creek cafe which was another good meal but I can't recall what we had...but the crab soup was very good. However, on the crab soup front for this visit, hands down the winner was Russell's .
We have another trip in about a month- hopefully we'll get to try Georgetown for a meal or two then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 08:21 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,829,496 times
Oh wow, you hit three of my short-list favorites. I'm envious; I have to spread those treats over a month or two. Russell Vereen's family is some of the originals in the Murrells Inlet restaurant bizness. He's a neat character, and it's a neat place with great food.

Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 AM

Ok, got another question.
I've seen advertising for Roz's but I didn't see it when we went by the Hammock Shops last visit. Is this restaurant in the complex?

Old 03-22-2012, 12:19 PM

Yeah, it's buried back in the complex, without elaborate signage. It's near Nosh, but closer to the South side of the driveway that loops around Hammock Shops. It has a large glass-windowed deck on the front of the restaurant, with the windows usually open. If you find the shack with the hotdog vendor, it's right behind there. A very nice lunch spot.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM

Ah-HA! That's why I didn't see it right off. Got it now...thanks PD

Old 03-26-2012, 08:49 PM

So we did finally try Sanford's...now Louis's at Sanfords. Would not recommend it; food is expensive and ours tasted more like it came from a box than had actual human contact. Just doesn't have any ambience at all - huge thumbs down on this one.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
...huge thumbs down on this one.
Thanks for the feedback. We've been waiting to see a menu and hear some opinions but haven't talked to anybody who's eaten there since he arrived. I cannot say I'm surprised; I was not impressed with his previous restaurant. Regardless, he's kept the parking lot full so far. The Osteen name seems to sell a lot of meals around here. There's a certain crowd down here who luv to talk about their "good friend, Louis". I guess that's what a Beard award gets ya'...

Old 05-27-2012, 03:30 PM

Just got back and wanted to comment on Land's End which was recommended to me here.
That was a very disappointing evening...we waited a half hour for the appetizers to come to the table, the waitress actually brought our she crab soup before the appetizers ( after 20 minutes of waiting) just so we wouldn't have to wait any longer. There were only 10 tables with patrons at the time and more staff just milling about than any place I have ever seen.
I had the seafood platter with grilled scallops, crab cake and flounder ( FINALLY got some flounder) and it was mediocre at best...shell in the crabcake, which was about 2" across and charred, bones in the flounder and the scallops were not really hot...don't know if they were held over or barely cooked through...any way, just not up to the billing we'd read in the guides.
The view of the marina is interesting, and they are building a deck off the back which could be nice, but this is a "C" at best. Not worth the $75 price tag.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
...but this is a "C" at best. Not worth the $75 price tag.
Unfortunately, IMO you're being gracious. We still go down there occasionally for their Thursday shag nites, but always stick with a few beers and ,at most, an appetizer.

Not sure what to say about the recommendation. Everybody's tastes are different, but it's also possible it was based on old info. They closed down in late 2009, then re-opened after about 8 months under new management. Even prior to that, we were never a big fan of their dinners, but would end up there sometimes when company was in town because they had a large early bird menu that could usually satisfy everybody. The old management had a "working man's" lunch menu that was good and had excellent prices. They also had a very nice reasonably priced buffet on Sundays and holidays, with a chef carving ham and roast beef. The new management has changed the menu and the pricing. We tried it a couple times and gave up on 'em. They do a good business and their TA reviews are better than they deserve (my opinion). They also get a lot of transient business from the marina. In a tourist town, location is too often more important than quality.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:43 PM

You are right on the money.....lots of marina traffic. Will head down to the boardwalk next time and try some interesting places there.
Someone mentioned that one of the Murrell's Inlet waterfront restaurants burned down sine we were there last...didn't see it in the "Disturber"...which one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area