Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:10 PM

242 posts, read 596,279 times

Advertisements

We decided to stay at the Coral Beach Resort. It has the potential to be a nice place...large rooms, indoor/outdoor pool, tiki bar with grill & karaoke. But---the entire place neededs renovating, updating, and a good cleaning. Very disappointing.
Anyway...
We were looking for a restaurant recommendation. Seafood, Italian, anything as long as it's delicious and has good service.
Also, would you recommend north or south Myrtle Beach for families? This was nothing like I expected. People swarming the streets cussing and carrying on. It reminded me of 42nd St in NYC in the 80s..amateur night!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 01:33 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,348,044 times
I'm really sorry to hear that your experience isn't what you had hoped it would be. I can recommend a great place for dinner that is, IMHO, the best seafood buffet in Myrtle Beach, and that's Benjamin's Seafood Buffet at 9593 N. Kings Hwy. (I just looked up the address, I don't work there, lol). We ate there when we were on vacation last year and it is phenomenal. It is a tad pricey, I think the buffet is around $25, which is an unheard of price for us normally, but if you're like us and splurge when you're on vacation, then it's a great place to eat.

I had never heard of the Coral Beach Resort so I just googled it. I think the problem is where you're staying in MB. Not the resort, I've never seen it, but the location. Generally, the farther north on Ocean Blvd. you go the more family friendly and quiet it is. We have stayed several times at Forest Dunes Resort at 5511 N. Ocean Blvd. and it was always quiet and family friendly.

I wish I could help you more. I hope you have a good time in spite of the things that you are finding disappointing. I imagine that the crowds are probably a result of it being spring break for a lot of public schools right now.

Take care, and I hope it gets a lot better.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:48 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,653,257 times
Benjamin's is very good-as well as Crabby Mike's down on the Surfside end if you are looking for a good seafood buffet. Also the are good places to eat in Murrell's Inlet. We like Murrells Inlet | Florence SC Restaurants Creekratz Restaurant Waterfront Murrells Inlet Live Entertainment Raw Bar Happy Hour Creek Ratz. My hubby still raves about the Mahi Mahi shrimp combo he had-best he's had. The Dead Dog Saloon too had a good sized crowd last time we were there-and smelled REALLY good.

Here's a tip for you-I'd never stay in the center of Myrtle Beach-for the reasons you mentioned. We've always stayed for over 13 years in Surfside. Much quieter, and near great food places and the beaches aren't as crowded. We stay at the campground-most of them have rentals-and are very nice-our family rents them out while we have our own camper. Check any of the 3 campground there-Pirateland, Lakewood, Ocean Lakes-you'd be pleasantly surprised with all you can do right on site and still be near all you want to do on a trip. It's not roughing it by any means.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:28 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,348,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincesses View Post
We decided to stay at the Coral Beach Resort. It has the potential to be a nice place...large rooms, indoor/outdoor pool, tiki bar with grill & karaoke. But---the entire place neededs renovating, updating, and a good cleaning. Very disappointing.
Anyway...
We were looking for a restaurant recommendation. Seafood, Italian, anything as long as it's delicious and has good service.
Also, would you recommend north or south Myrtle Beach for families? This was nothing like I expected. People swarming the streets cussing and carrying on. It reminded me of 42nd St in NYC in the 80s..amateur night!

We stay north or south, never in the middle or around this area.

Caribbean Resort is our choice when we are in town. Also the Dunes Village.

Others recommended good places.

We like Prestons for the buffet, Sir Johns, J Edwards, many great places down in Murrells to eat.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:25 PM

242 posts, read 596,279 times
@ canudigit: Thank you! We really enjoyed Benjamin's Seafood Buffet. Yummy!
We also had the chance to drive around North Myrtle Beach (big difference from the south end's spring break crowd). At least now we have some direction for next time. Thanks again!**

Old 04-25-2011, 02:02 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,348,044 times
You're very welcome.

Isn't Benjamin's amazing? Like I said, we don't usually spend that much for dinner, but I'm glad we did, because now we have a new favorite restaurant in MB.

I didn't realize that the spring break crowd in MB was that bad this late in the season, although like I said, I think that a lot of public schools schedule their spring breaks on or near the Easter weekend. You can still have a good time, though. We just happened to discover strictly by chance when my sister booked Forest Dunes for our families to stay at together several years ago and with neither of us having ever been to MB before, that the area of Ocean Blvd. between roughly 48th Ave. and 79th Ave. is the "quiet" end of MB, and more family oriented. You can't walk to as many attractions, but there are far less people and the younger crowd prefers the south end of Ocean Blvd., it seems. When we stayed in Gatlinburg for the first time, we ended up in the busiest part of town and could literally walk to places faster then we could drive to them, since the traffic was insane and the crowds were unbelievable. Still, we had a good time and just tried to overlook it as much as possible.

I hope the rest of your vacation is absolutely wonderful and that you take home a lot of happy memories.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 PM

66 posts, read 184,671 times
Crabby Mike's and Dead Dog Saloon are two of our favorites. Both have great food and friendly staff !!!

Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 PM

3,069 posts, read 9,164,941 times
If you are near the north end I would drive about 30 minutes or less up to CALABASH and get some sea food....This place is the most famous for great sea food to be found on the east coast....You wont regret it..

Old 04-26-2011, 09:40 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,891,948 times
If you consider the south end of the Grand Strand, look into this the Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort. It is a little farther from Myrtle Beach, but well worth it!

Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort - Pawleys Island near Myrtle Beach

Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM

215 posts, read 547,391 times
Hey, don't forget to look for coupons from these restaurants all around the beach. Can find them at the hotels or grocery stores.

Save yourself some money for gas

David
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area