Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 10:46 AM

32 posts, read 266,116 times

Advertisements

wondering about different retirement communities there....not interested in mobile home parks and would prefer 55+ community though not firm on that...would need golf & good shopping nearby....schools not important other than for resale value if need be....thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:51 AM

790 posts, read 1,622,890 times
I don't know a great deal about Little River as we live near Surfside but since noone has responded to your post, I'll give it a shot. I did a search for 55+ communities in LR and found only one mobile home park listed. The local newspaper does not show any 55+ communities either so my guess is that there are no dedicated 55+ communities.

When we moved here we looked around Little River a little. My impression of LR is that it is mostly rural with very little in the way of shopping other than a few small strip malls. The closest "shopping" area as most people think of shopping would be North Myrtle.

There are some nice housing developments in LR but you will drive a few miles to get to activities that you might want. It's a very nice area if you like in a housing development located in the "country." There are a few developments right on or near the water but price becomes an issue the closer to the water you get. Depends on what you budget is.

Hope this helps. If you want more on housing developments, PM me and I'll give you more info based on what I know.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:45 PM

thanks for the info....i think i looked at the same site you referred to....not much other than the mobile home park....we were hoping to stay close to the border as our daughter, son-in-law and new grandson are in Wilmington....the taxes in NC are not favorable compared to SC from what we can see....if you have anything else you want to share, feel free.....and thanks again.

Old 03-19-2011, 05:52 AM

108 posts, read 227,484 times
We are relocating to Little River from Massachusetts in November to a new development, Lafayette Park. Although not an over 55 community, as a practical matter most of the people we have met there are over 55. We have owned a townhouse at Village at the Glens (at Heather Glen Golf Course) in LR for the past 7 years and really enjoy the area. Great golf there and across the street at Glen Dornoch. Much less traffic than the southern end of the beach IMO. Getting to restaurants and shoping in NMB takes only 10-15 minutes. Not bad at all. Some of the other nicer developments in LR include River Hills and Hidden Lakes. We liked Lafayette Park as for the same price everything is brand new.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 PM

124 posts, read 227,831 times
We are also planning a move to Little River within the next 2 years, preferably near the Main Street Connector which takes you everywhere fast-airport, Broadway at the Beach. 5 minutes to North Myrtle Beach, direct on 17 to Brunswick Cnty, NC.We have a timeshare in North Myrtle Beach, so we are familiar with that area-Cherry Grove, Little River, Calabash, NC but not south of MB, such as Murrells Inlet area. Our realtor sends automatic listings almost daily, with tons of new homes in Lafayette Park, which look wonderful.Good luck to you! We also love the look of Carriage Lake, Woodlyn Lakes and Hidden Lakes. On the other hand, I want to check out south of Myrtle Beach-Murrells Inlet, etc before we make a definite decision on Little River. Good luck in Lafayette Park, mkaz01!!

Old 03-20-2011, 05:22 PM

108 posts, read 227,484 times
Thank you RB1234. Can't wait to get back to LR. Vacation week coming up in April. Will be good to get out of the cold again and check on house progress. We have friends that live in Murrels Inlet. They like it there but its a hike for them (40 minutes?) when we want to get together and golf at this end of the beach. I too liked the look of Carriage Lake but was concerend that I could hear the traffic on 31 going by. Heather Lake is another development I forgot to mention. Older homes but great landscaping and there is a bit of new construction there now too. mk

Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 PM

124 posts, read 227,831 times
Yes, we are familiar with Heather Lakes-drove through it and it is lovely. We just put our house on the market here in New Jersey and we're giving ourselves lots of time for it to sell. If it sells quickly-which we doubt, we'll rent here until we're ready to move down-hopefully summer/fall of 2012. We can't wait to get down for our vacation week, which isn't August. Enjoy yours in April.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:28 PM

wish you all the best as you move to LR.......thank you for the info

Old 03-27-2011, 02:44 PM

7 posts, read 23,778 times
Even though you want to be close to the NC border, there is a great 55 and older community here in the Garden City/Murrells Inlet called Woodlake Village. Very, nice single family homes with clubhouse, pool, and tennis courts plus adjacent to Indian Wells Golf course as well as the beach, restaurants, shopping, etc. Also, you are not too far from Hwy. 31 which also goes from Little River to Surfside as well as Hwy. 17. PM me and I will be more than happy to get you additional info.
Have a Great Day!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:38 PM

2 posts, read 4,152 times
I too am looking at relocating from NEPA to SC. Have only looked online at homes sent to us via real estate agents. My husband is a fisherman and my son who will visit us is a golfer. His inlaws own a home in Brunswick Cty NC and thus we want to be near the inlaws but SC is more retirement pension friendly and housing costs more reasonable. Saw a home online in Hidden Lakes Village today. Any thoughts? We presently live in a small subdivision in PA and like knowing the neighbors etc. Hidden Lakes have what we call in PA a big pond but does look nice and seperates us from backyard neighbors. If anyone can give me advise it would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area