Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 07:15 AM

7 posts, read 29,867 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retiring in 2 years and thinking about relocating to SC. I have been looking at homes in Little River. We dont want anything with a HOA. I am worried about hurricanes and palmetto bugs.....cant live with either one of them. Do I really have something to worry about? Is Little River a nice place to live? We dont have to worry about jobs, schools or church..we just want peace and quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 08:27 AM

108 posts, read 227,391 times
We moved to Little River in December after 8 years of vacationing there and love it. We live in Lafayette Park which has a very modest HOA fee (I think its $55 a month for the pool, tennis court, trash and common area landscaping). Living in a community like this is helpful in making new friends since everyone is from somewhere else. The great thing about LR is how easy it is to get around with great access to Highways 31, 9, 22, 57,90 and 17 with significantly less traffic than on other parts of the Grand Strand. I have never seen a palmetto bug in 8 years. I think paying for a service to spray around the house helps in that regard. As for hurricanes, the area has been blessed for many years to avoid them but it is nothing we can control. Living on the west side of Hwy 17 hopefully makes us a little less vulnerable.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 AM

31 posts, read 57,435 times
We relocated from Maryland to LR, also in Lafayette park. love the area. very quiet. we were reluctant to move into a HOA as well, but so far have had no issues at all. The HOA in a neighborhood usually relaxes a bit after building is completed, but they are currently still building in this one. We rented for a year in north myrtle, then for a year in LR before we bought a house. We have been very happy with our choice. I only wish there were more kids in the neighborhood as we have a 7 year old. Am hopeful that some familys will be moving into the houses under construction! Good luck to you.

Old 08-04-2012, 12:42 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,346,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittKhatt View Post
I am worried about hurricanes and palmetto bugs.....cant live with either one of them.
While Little River is a nice place, if you can't live with those 2 things you may want to consider elsewhere. You may avoid them for years on end, but at some point, you will likely have to confront both.

As we plan our hopeful move to MB, I do get edgy about hurricanes myself. Then I realize how many people I've known here who have died or been seriously hurt by car accidents due to snow/ice. At least with a hurricane you have all kinds of warning. That may not help much, but I'll pick that over my experience of having to help rescue my 2 daughters from an ice-filled ditch this past winter as their Sunfire flipped over (due to ice) and landed them upside down in 1 foot of ice water. With a hurricane, I have days to prepare. No city is immune to every form of danger. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM

124 posts, read 227,724 times
@Maryland Transplant. We are the owners of one of those houses under construction in Lafayette Park! We are so excited about moving down! We have vacationed in the area for 7 years and can't wait to be living there full time. Alas, our child is grown and we are retiring there, but we also hope more families with young children move in. People of all ages make for a vibrant community. As mkaz01 stated, the location is wonderful-right around the country corner from the intercoastal, 10 minutes to the beach, easy access to all the major highways yet somehow tucked away in a lovely setting. This was important to us, as we are moving from the NW corner of NJ, where the ski slopes and black bear are in our back yard. Not your stereotypical NJ setting-nowhere near the Jersey Turnpike-lol.

Old 08-05-2012, 07:20 PM

7 posts, read 29,867 times
Thank you everyone for the info....I appreciate it tremendously.......still a little weary of the hurricane and bug issue. lol.....to RB1234, I get what you are saying. I am leaving Hunterdon County, NJ which also is not a stereotypical NJ setting...I love it here and I hate to leave but the NJ property taxes are killing me....I live in a condo, have no property but pay 5,000 in property tax....that is because I DO live in Hunterdon County and you pay to live here...it is beautiful but expensive.......leaving here will be bitter sweet for me but I feel that while I still am able to make the move, I pretty much have to.......I am going to checkout Lafayette Park...I have been looking at homes in Little River which seems like somewhere I would like to be........any other suggestions or info, please post...thank you all again.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 AM

142 posts, read 363,323 times
I would suggest you rent before making any decision of where to live, I understand about HOA, I could not live under the rules of some old fart with nothing better to do than drive around looking to see who is violating and of the rules or covenants.

My family had a farm in Stockton for many years and my daughter is Dir of Mktg for a compunding Rx in Hopewell so I know you are not off Exit ____

Gary

Old 08-06-2012, 08:37 PM

55 posts, read 83,003 times
KittKhat,
We moved to Little River from rural NJ (Warren County) almost 2 years ago and we are so happy we made the move. But I was raised at the beach in NJ and I think that is why Little River is such a good fit for me. Hunterdon Cty is a kind of rural area , if I remember correctly, and very beautiful.I'm wondering if you have looked at Asheville NC.I say that because if you LOVE the feel of Hunterdon County,you would really appreciate the beautiful mountains, somewhat artsy vibe, and alot of space. Little River is nothing like that. And trust me, I love it here, but it's a comfort level that I am used to from a lifetime of tourist seasons, and lovely off seasons.

Old 08-12-2012, 06:16 PM

56 posts, read 159,844 times
Check out the Calabash NC area it is just north of Little River SC. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:42 AM

1 posts, read 8,864 times
Default Lafayette Park

Nice development, issues with HOA, still controlled by builders, crooked, with conflicts of interests. Be prepared for a lot of hassle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area