Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:12 PM

540 posts, read 1,682,135 times

Advertisements

As some of you know, my better half and I do mastiff rescues. Recently, a "gentelman" in Florence was cited for animal abuse due to allowing his dog to cook outside in the sun for 3 days with no food or water...in his crate.

I ask you to take some time out of your busy schedule, even if you're not from here and just visiting or looking for some information about this area, to make a quick call, or write a letter to the Prosecutor regarding this case. It won't take long!

South Carolina has very lax animal abuse laws. Heck, many owners here think very little of their pets as it is. You see many dead ones on the side of the road all the time, tons up for sale or rehoming on Craigslist, and hundreds are put to sleep weekly due to overcrowding. Even some of the shelters in this state (and North Carolina) are guilty of neglect, sadly.

Dog left to die in crate located in blazing temperatures - graphic photo - public help needed

Taken from the above original article:

Mayor Stephen Wukela (swukela@cityofflorence.com)

Chief of Police Anson Shells: 843-665-3191
Major Carlos Raines- Criminal Investigations Div: 843-665-3191
Judge Debbie Jackson- 843-665-3148
More information on the Police Department, City of Florence can be found at City of Florence, South Carolina.

Address for the above names:
City of Florence
City-County Complex AA
180 North Irby Street
Florence, SC 29501-3456

While we may not always agree to ingredients in recipes, politics, employment, etc., I implore you to not to let this guy get away with this. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:40 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,799,511 times
Thank you for posting this. It's so upsetting how people treat animals and I posted almost the same thing on my Facebook page. In addition to the above, please don't just walk away if you see an animal in need. At the very least call animal control so maybe someone will help the poor dog, cat or any animal from suffering. It's too hot for dogs to be outside right now, especially w/o water, shade or, left in a car. If people don't want to take proper care of their pets, they shouldn't get one.

Old 07-16-2010, 04:57 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,898,784 times
Thanks for posting this thread Pburgess. That is heart-wrenching. I hope everyone takes the time to call or write

Old 07-22-2010, 06:03 PM

34 posts, read 97,715 times
Was wondering... what are you suppose to do if you know of an Officer in the area that has fed his dog antifreeze and exposed his cat and kittens to clorox until the hair burned off. If no one is willing to take action, then what are you suppose to do... what would be the next step?

Old 07-22-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharry View Post
Was wondering... what are you suppose to do if you know of an Officer in the area that has fed his dog antifreeze and exposed his cat and kittens to clorox until the hair burned off. If no one is willing to take action, then what are you suppose to do... what would be the next step?

What? Are you saying you know about this? For sure he is doing this? If so, please do something! Give me his name, address whatever and I'll do something. Report him to the police even if he is an officer, he's not above the law, call animal control, call the mayor, call Peta, call Humane Society...beat his ass, I don't care what you do but please do it right away.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:37 AM

34 posts, read 97,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
What? Are you saying you know about this? For sure he is doing this? If so, please do something! Give me his name, address whatever and I'll do something. Report him to the police even if he is an officer, he's not above the law, call animal control, call the mayor, call Peta, call Humane Society...beat his ass, I don't care what you do but please do it right away.
Unfortunatley is seems that he is above the law. He is an officer and his name is XXXXX. I was told that he fed his dog antifreeze because he was angry. Then he exposed his cat and kittens to clorox until the hair burned off. Someone has tried to report him but they were faced with "don't stir up any trouble" and nothing was done. A few months ago he was abusive to his girlfriend and she turnd him in and he did get in a little trouble, but everyone was keeping it quiet. Since no one wanted to tarnish the Edge name. But the Edge name is already tarnished, no matter how much someone doesn't want to believe something, because they fear retaliation. I am not afraid of this jerk and I can't stand it when someone abuses someone especially an animal. So I willl turn him in, when they ask for his name, they may stop me in my tracks and may not want to pursue further. So I am not sure what to do if this happens? It's one thing to abuse a person but to take anger to the extreme and abuse an animal is WRONG.

Last edited by Global Friend; 07-23-2010 at 06:08 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyharry View Post
Unfortunatley is seems that he is above the law. He is an officer and his name is XXXXXX. I was told that he fed his dog antifreeze because he was angry. Then he exposed his cat and kittens to clorox until the hair burned off. Someone has tried to report him but they were faced with "don't stir up any trouble" and nothing was done. A few months ago he was abusive to his girlfriend and she turnd him in and he did get in a little trouble, but everyone was keeping it quiet. Since no one wanted to tarnish the Edge name. But the Edge name is already tarnished, no matter how much someone doesn't want to believe something, because they fear retaliation. I am not afraid of this jerk and I can't stand it when someone abuses someone especially an animal. So I willl turn him in, when they ask for his name, they may stop me in my tracks and may not want to pursue further. So I am not sure what to do if this happens? It's one thing to abuse a person but to take anger to the extreme and abuse an animal is WRONG.
I had to remove his name because they don't allow that here. If you find a news story about him, you can post a link to it but that's it.

Can you send me a private message with where he is an officer? I'm not going to mention you. I understand it would be scary to go to the police station but I just left there for an issue I'm having on my street, you don't have to give your name. FYI - if you call, they will know it's you. At least call the local humane society but they may need to know here he lives. 3 people come up with his name in SC on Google so you may want to look him up first. Please do something to get those animals out of there.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:45 PM

So that guy was sentenced in Florence with a fine and some jail time. Not enough jail time but at least they did something. I wrote to the mayor but no response, not that I thought he would..

I wish they would make it illegal for someone caught abusing/neglecting an animal to have another one. Then if they get caught doing it again they would get a stronger sentence.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:58 PM

540 posts, read 1,682,135 times
Oh my gosh, you beat me to it!! Was just about to post Funny thing is, he's already been cited once because of his pit bulls he had and neglected. Shouldn't that have been some sort of wake up call? I tell ya, by looking at his pic, you'd never guess it was him in a million years. What a clean cut looking man! Guess looks can be deceiving. At least he was smart enough to plead guilty.

Thanks to all that called and wrote letters. I know the rescue group I'm affiliated with did as well. Most of them were from up north and some out west. The long arms of the internet...gotta love it!!

Florence man pleads guilty to animal cruelty charge | SCNow (http://www2.scnow.com/scp/news/local/pee_dee/article/florence_man_pleads_guilty_to_animal_cruelty_charg e/233212/ - broken link)

Old 07-23-2010, 06:12 PM

I know! When I saw him on the news I thought the same thing. I expected something much different. He says it was his 15 yr old sons dog and thought he was taking care of it. So not only is he a scumbag for what happened, he blames his kid. I guess he forgot he was a parent and responsible for his son and a living being he brings to their home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area