Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 11:57 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,393,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
There's that some DC hate from Marvel fans
I am a long-time Marvel fan, but I like DC too, and I want the DC movies to be great. I just haven't seen one yet. The last DC-themed movie I really enjoyed was The Dark Knight. Everything before and since has been varying shades of okay to bad.

Quote:
The problem with Snyder is besides The Watchmen, none of his films are universally beloved.
In what universe was Watchmen beloved? Some people liked it. Some didn't. A whole lot of people never saw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 12:05 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,648,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark s. View Post
touche, sir.

But this is the internet. Since when is an informed opinion necessary?

:d

Old 05-12-2016, 12:25 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,995,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I haven't watched SuckerPunch, myself, so I can't comment on it. But John Scalzi liked it, if that means anything.
The Schomes are split on the movie. Ellis likes out Her life thinks it's gahrbage.

Old 05-12-2016, 12:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,995,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I am a long-time Marvel fan, but I like DC too, and I want the DC movies to be great. I just haven't seen one yet. The last DC-themed movie I really enjoyed was The Dark Knight. Everything before and since has been varying shades of okay to bad.
I enjoyed both TDK films I saw in theater, Rises I loved more, Green Lantern was fine and I actually loved Batman V. Superman. I just am unsure on the look of the movie series for all.

Quote:
In what universe was Watchmen beloved? Some people liked it. Some didn't. A whole lot of people never saw it.
I've heard much more positive than I have negative about it. That said, not enough people saw it.

Old 05-14-2016, 03:51 PM

211 posts, read 213,366 times
Quote:
There's that some DC hate from Marvel fans (something I try not to do myself though I am more attracted to Marvel characters except for say a Green Lantern, Green Arrow or Flash.) The bigger thing was panned reviews and word of mouth. The difference with general public word of mouth now is social media spreads word faster. Before we had to wait until our circle saw a movie like say Spider-Man 3 to say it sucked. Now we can check metacritic, rotten tomatoes and twitter to see a movie like say The Amazing Spider-Man 2 or Fantastic Four were horrible messes.

Ridley Scott was written off after Exodus: Gods & Kings until The Martian came out. The problem with Snyder is besides The Watchmen, none of his films are universally beloved. Scott had his name from Alien, Blade Runner and American Gangsta, Synder just has The Watchmen which wasn't a box office success at all. I liked Man of Steel and loved Batman V. Superman but am meh towards Sucker Punch.

Don't forget Oscar-winning Thelma & Louise, which had six Oscar nominations, including Best Director. It won Best Original Screenplay, not to mention a perennial place in the pantheon of all-time iconic films--- and Gladiator, which received 12 Oscar nominations, winning four, with one of those four wins being Best Picture of the Year.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSWTEBO View Post
Don't forget Oscar-winning Thelma & Louise, which had six Oscar nominations, including Best Director. It won Best Original Screenplay, not to mention a perennial place in the pantheon of all-time iconic films--- and Gladiator, which received 12 Oscar nominations, winning four, with one of those four wins being Best Picture of the Year.
Scott is a brilliant director. No doubt. His problem is that he cannot recognize a bad script. So he makes absolutely stunningly gorgeous bad movies. GLADIATOR is one of them. To this day, I still don't understand the accolades that movie received.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:16 PM

The saga continues:

A Major Shake Up Just Changed the Game for DC Films

Old 05-18-2016, 03:05 PM

More clickbait. It's not a "major shake-up." They named Geoff Johns and Jon Berg as the showrunners. Geoff Johns has already been involved in some capacity before.

Old 05-20-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
More clickbait. It's not a "major shake-up." They named Geoff Johns and Jon Berg as the showrunners. Geoff Johns has already been involved in some capacity before.
"Major shake up" is definitely typical media hyperbole. But it is good to see that the WB seems to have finally decided they need a sense of direction.

Old 05-20-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
"Major shake up" is definitely typical media hyperbole. But it is good to see that the WB seems to have finally decided they need a sense of direction.
Jon Berg will continue to report to WB's President, and Geoff Johns will continue to report to Diane Nelson, who's the head of DC Entertainment. Apart from giving them overseer status, I don't see too much of a difference. I do like that Johns and Ben Affleck will have (mostly) full-time input. But it's not like Zack's not a comics fan, either. BvS is a very TDKR-inspired film, and that's what so many people seem to have a problem with. Not me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies