Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:24 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,590,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Burton's Batman from 1989 already seems VERY dated. I give it props for bringing Batman back into the public consciousness again. but watching it now ... it's really pretty bad in places.

I loved Nolan's second movie. It is still one of the best super hero movies ever made. His first movie was flawed. Good, but flawed. His third movie was an incoherent mess.

I don't understand why WB has had two very good Batman filmmakers making great super hero movies for over 20 years (Bruce Timm and Paul Dini), yet WB doesn't seem to consider even the possibility of letting them do a major theatrical release. It baffles me. They have two geniuses onhand, yet they continue to hand the rein to hacks.

I loved all three movies myself I enjoyed seeing Bane not being an muscle bound idiot.

The huge battle scene at the end I didn't care much for either. As comic book people we're always going to find flaws with our favorite comic book heroes. I'll never see a GOOD Wolverine movie I've made peace with that... sort of. Yeah. Burton's Batman does seem outdated but it's still VERY good. I'm sure in 20 years from now all these movies will seem a bit lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 06:38 AM

22,957 posts, read 28,390,461 times
Interesting analysis that may make AFtrEFkt burst a vein.

Disney v. Warner: How Captain America Beat Batman and Superman
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/bu...rman.html?_r=0

Old 05-27-2016, 09:50 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,647,337 times
Quote:
Interesting analysis that may make AFtrEFkt burst a vein.
Doubtful.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Disney v. Warner: How Captain America Beat Batman and Superman
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/27/bu...rman.html?_r=0
This is an op-ed piece, not a review (and he acknowledges that by linking to an earlier review by a different columnist).

However, he does say one thing I was surprised to see:

Quote:
Wonder Woman seems awkwardly gerrymandered into the plot. Batman delivers a ponderous final speech that could (and probably will) run as a trailer for the forthcoming “Justice League: Part One.”

Marvel, too, teases future films (“Spider-Man” and “Black Panther” in “Civil War”) but seems more adept at it.

I smell bias. Diana's role is akin to T'Challa's in that she appears throughout the film.

Spoiler
Wonder Woman appears in action for the first time in the finale — not to mention she is the real reason Doomsday doesn't escape, which would inevitably result in carnage in populated areas).

Black Panther just wants to get the guy who he believes killed his father (which is understandable).

And let's not deny that Spider-Man is wedged into the movie with all the subtlety of livestock let loose in the lobby of the Four Seasons. It screams advertisement more than anything in either of the two movies. (Yet people try to argue otherwise.)

I'd also like to know why they went out of their way in Civil War to not explain, however briefly, why Black Panther has enhanced strength, speed and agility, and can thus go to toe-to-toe with Cap and Bucky.

Old 05-27-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
This is an op-ed piece
In the age of the Internet, everything is really an Op-Ed piece. Especially the news.

Quote:
I'd also like to know why they went out of their way in Civil War to not explain, however briefly, why Black Panther has enhanced strength, speed and agility, and can thus go to toe-to-toe with Cap and Bucky.
The same reason STAR WARS never stopped to explain how often Chewbacca has to shampoo or who tailors Hans Gruber's suits in DIE HARD: Because that wasn't the point of the movie. We'll get all the details in the BLACK PANTHER movie.

But I'll out-nerd you: It bugged me that the Wakandans are speaking Xhosa. Xhosa is a South African language. Wakanda is more Central African, up by the Congo and Uganda. I demand a deleted scene on the DVD explaining why the Wakandans are speaking Xhosa. That would be like a family of Scottish lords speaking Italian. In fact, Marvel needs to do an entire comic mini-series explaining this error.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
The same reason STAR WARS never stopped to explain how often Chewbacca has to shampoo or who tailors Hans Gruber's suits in DIE HARD: Because that wasn't the point of the movie. We'll get all the details in the BLACK PANTHER movie.
Nope, sorry. They could have shown him eating the herb (if that's what they're going to do). Or having a smoothie. It would've taken all of a few seconds in a movie that shoehorned Spider-Man into it. Your examples are funny (the kind I use, too, when appropriate), but for all intents and purposes, to the audience Black Panther is a guy with claws. A friend asked me "How does Black Panther run so freakin' fast? Does he have the Super Sauce, too?" My brother-in-law asked me "Where does Black Panther get his strength? How does he outrun cars?" They needed to at least take a moment to show WHY.

"Not the point of the movie" apparently applies to the MCU and not the DCEU. BvS caught flak from the haters for three years: "Too many characters," "Wonder Woman is being shoehorned in," "Why the f**k bother with Robin if he's already dead," etc.

The other studio does not get a pass.

Old 05-27-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
A friend asked me "How does Black Panther run so freakin' fast? Does he have the Super Sauce, too?" My brother-in-law asked me "Where does Black Panther get his strength? How does he outrun cars?" They needed to at least take a moment to show WHY.
Don't ever watch Return of the Jedi with your friend.

"Wait. Now where did Jabba get that Rancor?"

"Why this big infiltration putting senior members of the Rebel Alliance at risk to rescue one guy? Why don't they just bomb Jabba's palace with a squadron of B-wing fighters and pull Han out of the rubble?"

"Now all of a sudden Boba Fett can shoot rope out of his arm? When did he get that?"

"How did Han Solo gain 40 pounds while frozen in carbonite?"

"Why are soldiers in head-to-toe armor running away from a bunch of teddy bears that are throwing rocks at them?"

Quote:
"Not the point of the movie" apparently applies to the MCU and not the DCEU. BvS caught flak from the haters for three years: "Too many characters," "Wonder Woman is being shoehorned in," "Why the f**k bother with Robin if he's already dead," etc.

The other studio does not get a pass.
Not having seen BvS, I defer to your criticism. That said, there's no denying the fact that Marvel still kicked DC's butt at the box office. Marvel is doing something better that DC has yet to grasp.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:20 PM

Nobody cared about the Rancor. Nobody cared where all the beasts in the arena battle in Attack of the Clowns came from, either.

Or how about:

"Why can't SHIELD pick up Tony? Why can't his armors blast their way out of concrete rubble?"

Because then the movie would be over ninety minutes too soon.

Marvel's making more money, yeah. But they suck when it comes to villains, and their stories are too predictable. I knew how Civil War would end long before it did. And they still employed a fake-out.

Re: my friend. I've known him since high school. He is a life-long Star Wars fanboy, he loves Marvel and (mostly) hates DC. But he's not afraid to rip the MCU apart, either. His favorite Marvel movie is GOTG. He hates the X-movies. He thinks Captain America (the character) is boring, the two Iron Man sequels suck (ditto for the Thor movies), and he likes Civil War primarily for the fights. He didn't have much to say about the actual story, or Black Panther, who I thought was the best thing about the whole movie.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,988,518 times
Quote:
Yup. Initial "rumor" (which you should never take too seriously) said that it was to inject more humor into a very dark movie. But then the actors and director said it was to add more action. That everything is fine, nothing to see here, move along, move along. In the era of constant spin, we'll never know for sure.

But really, in the end it doesn't matter. All that matter is if the final movie is good.
Apprently Suicide Squad is good due to some early test showings. MovieNews | The first test screening reactions for Suicide Squad have landed - entertainment.ie First Fan Reactions For Suicide Squad Call It "Amazing" I think I might have been able to see it since I was asked to view an action movie last weekend. I was busy though trying to get sleep after working some 46 hours that week.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:17 AM

How Zack Snyder Hopes Justice League Will Save His DC Universe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies