Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:47 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,345,257 times

Advertisements

Michael Phelps' father played football at Fairmont State

Michael Phelps has shown plenty of doggedness in Beijing.
But those in Fairmont may have seen the Phelps determination years ago.
Fred Phelps, the Olympic swimmer's father, played football at Fairmont State.
"I liked it when the running back and receivers heard footsteps,'' Fred Phelps told Newsday. "I liked it when the guards and tackles pulled so you could hit the biggest guy out there.''
"At Fairmont State College in West Virginia,'' said the piece, "Fred studied physical education and set school records for interceptions in a season and, after he was steered to track and field by a football assistant, the triple jump.''
Fred Phelps' wife Debbie followed her husband-to-be from the Westernport-Luke area of Maryland to FSC. They married in May, 1973.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:12 AM

967 posts, read 2,994,788 times
Angry Wvu was robbed!

Just had to vent.
Anyone watch the game last night? I cannot fathom how the Cinncy fumble turned into a TD. The video reviewers are on crack.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:29 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,377,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Just had to vent.
Anyone watch the game last night? I cannot fathom how the Cinncy fumble turned into a TD. The video reviewers are on crack.
Feel better Hinton? Your post made me laugh.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:39 AM

352 posts, read 796,584 times
We watched the game and were horrified at the call..Hinton is right..that call was BOGUS! At least one of the sportscasters' agreed that it was definitely a fumble..didn't look as if the ball crossed the plane either..the Mountaineers were robbed!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,234,817 times
The rule is supposed to be "undisputable evidence" to overturn the ruling on the field. If anything, I thought the video was clear enough to have overturned a TD call, instead they turn a fumble into a TD for Cincy.

Maybe Ocho Cinquo's $1 bribe found a home.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:18 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Oh my goodness. Boys will be boys.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:24 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,071,049 times
I was at the game. Cinci has the dumbest fans in BCS conference football. It's clear they haven't had much success in the 112 years they've been playing football, and they don't know how to handle having visitors in their stadium. The wife and i had a very, very bad experience there.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:36 PM

38 posts, read 318,530 times
I lived in other states for many years and heard the wv jokes concerning the issues you stated. The jokesters were not hacking on me, i never told them i was born in wv. It's just the perception people have of the state.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:09 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Hate football and rarely watch it - did see part of that game.
That TD that was handed to Cinci only reinforces why I hate the game.

Evidently the refs didn't see the same replays from 4 different angles that we saw on TV.
Maybe they should have TV's in their ref areas.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:05 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Default WVU Fans voted rudest in the Big East

Report: WVU Fans Are Rude - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=70708 - broken link)

MORGANTOWN -- According to the 2009 Fan Survey, 34.9 percent of Big East football fans ranked West Virginia University fans as the rudest in the conference.
Pittsburgh Panther fans came in second place with 25 percent of the vote.
The majority of the respondents believe that the University of Connecticut has the politest fans.
The poll does reveal some good news for Mountaineer fans.
Morgantown's Milan Puskar Stadium is the favorite destination for Big East road games.
You can see results for the entire Sports Illustrated.com survey by clicking on the link below.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown