Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,914 times

Advertisements

Family is moving to Morgantown with 2nd graders and have a large family dog. We would love to rent first but haven't found much directing me to where there may be places that allows a 100 lb dog. We've been looking at the schools and noticed North, Suncrest, Cheat Lake, and Eastwood might be the best schools. Any help on this is very appreciated! We have lived in upstate NY for 4 years and this past year have spent time in Weston, FL. Schools have been comparable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 07:43 AM

203 posts, read 152,982 times
With a 100 lb dog you won't be able to find anything. Sorry if I am direct and blunt. Landlords here often don't even want a cat in their properties. Maybe you could consider keeping your dog with relatives for while you rent.
The rent issues for non-students have been discussed in one of the posts here in Morgantown forum.
All the schools you mentioned are good.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:48 AM

1,854 posts, read 2,226,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_nina1 View Post
With a 100 lb dog you won't be able to find anything. Sorry if I am direct and blunt. Landlords here often don't even want a cat in their properties. Maybe you could consider keeping your dog with relatives for while you rent.
The rent issues for non-students have been discussed in one of the posts here in Morgantown forum.
All the schools you mentioned are good.
I will add that, while I'm not sure which school is the best, Suncrest is currently in the process of having a new school built and it should be open by Christmas break apparently, Suncrest currently is pretty cramped from what I hear but the new place is a lot larger.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:01 AM

203 posts, read 152,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUmatt View Post
I will add that, while I'm not sure which school is the best, Suncrest is currently in the process of having a new school built and it should be open by Christmas break apparently, Suncrest currently is pretty cramped from what I hear but the new place is a lot larger.
Suncrest Primary is K-3 and students go into 4th grade to North.
If you have incoming 3rd graders, it is better to have them start at North (or Cheatlake or another K-5 elementary school) so that they won't have to switch schools (again!) after 3rd grade. Most areas around hospitals are Suncrest Primary/North which means just that - switching schools after 3rd grade. There are apartments that I would not recommend that belong to North, but they are old and small. Homes on Riddle dr and Van Voorhis Rd belong to North Elementary but hardly anything there is ever available for rent. Those homes are older too and located on some crazy hills which would preclude parking a moving truck.

We were in exactly the same situation with two incoming 3rd graders and needing to rent.
NOTHING was available in the North area (Cheat is too far a drive and too unpredictable in winter for us) for a family of 4 with 2 cats and stuff such as personal belongings and furniture. We needed no less than 2000 sq feet and clean/decent.

Our landlord owns several newer townhomes that he will be looking to rent out (one new I think), but the dog will be a problem.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 6,914 times
Thanks everyone! I thought the same thing. When we came to Miami, we had the same thing but were lucky to find a great realtor who found some homes that did not mind the bigger dog. I laugh when I see Pets ok up to 25 lbs since a 25lb dog can do just as much damage if the dog is that kind of dog.

Great note on Suncrest and North...did not know that so I will look to cross out Suncrest because like you said having to switch is too much, especially when they have another big move.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:59 AM

17 posts, read 28,579 times
"Landlords here often don't even want a cat in their properties."

Not true.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,228 times
If you are still looking for a place I have a house in South Park but would want to kneow more about your dog.

Old 07-06-2016, 03:56 PM

19 posts, read 32,560 times
Default Tiny House Land

I'm giving SERIOUS thought to having a tiny house built. I need to find a piece of land, under an acre, to park it on. I would like to stay close to Morgantown where I work. I also want to be on the grid with water & electric. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:47 AM

83 posts, read 100,159 times
Don't do it. We were in a 750 sq. ft. house (2 adults and 2 children) and grew to hate it. Sure Tiny houses are a trend now but give it a couple of years and then you'll be stuck with a house that is small, no longer trendy and unsellable. Just tell yourself that that tiny houses are todays' avocado appliances.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:27 AM

19 posts, read 32,560 times
Pxhaney.....Thanks for being a straight shooter. I will not be as people congested as you though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown