Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 09:12 PM

19 posts, read 32,560 times

Advertisements

I moved from an apartment in PA that was a good 1500sqft and paid less rent than what I do now for my approximately 725sqft apartment in Morgantown . It wasn't that bad actually downsizing 4 years ago. I look forward to purging more useless items from my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 10:49 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
I've lived for 13 years in a roughly 700sqft house with a wife and two kids,not a big deal to me.My mother grew up in house about the same size....so did her mother.Most people until the last few decades lived in houses 700-900 sqft.

My sons are both in college but their stuff is still in their rooms so my wife and I manage quite well with much less than the 700sqft we'd have if they moved their stuff out.

I don't see much point in having a 'tiny house on wheels' built.They seem to be expensive,aren't very mobile,and there aren't many places to put one.

You can find plenty of old tiny houses fairly cheap in older neighborhoods,even in good shape because many people today can't conceive of life in a house smaller than 2500 sqft,even if they have no kids. It IS TRUE that small houses are much harder to sell so there isn't much point in spending much to build one when you can buy an old one cheaply already built.

If you don't want to be in town find a rural lot where someone had a house trailer and just stick a used small house trailer back on it,that way you already have power/well/septic.You can with a little creativity make one look like one of those overpriced tiny houses you see on TV without spending much money.I knew people in Wyoming who put a small peaked roof and log siding on them and from the outside you would think it was a real log cabin.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:48 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pxhaney View Post
Don't do it. We were in a 750 sq. ft. house (2 adults and 2 children) and grew to hate it. Sure Tiny houses are a trend now but give it a couple of years and then you'll be stuck with a house that is small, no longer trendy and unsellable. Just tell yourself that that tiny houses are todays' avocado appliances.
It depends on where you put it. I have no clue about costs or availability of land but if one could build one near Cheat Lake it would always be desirable.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:13 AM

5 posts, read 8,078 times
Default Life in Morgnatown

Hello!
I would like to ask to those who live in Morgantown some basic infomation.
Mes and my spouse next month are moving to Morgantown from another country.
1. Housing issue is the first - which pages is it possible to visit to search for a housing? So far we used zillow, craigslist, apartments.com. Is there any other option we could use? If you know someone renting 1 bedroom apartment I would really appreciate it. Our budget would be 1000$ (utilities incuded).
2. Safe/not so safe neighbourhood?
3. How much you pay for the food per month? I know it is very different but maybe you could share your experience.
Thanks in advance!

Old 07-10-2016, 08:20 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiega View Post
Hello!
1. Housing issue is the first - which pages is it possible to visit to search for a housing? So far we used zillow, craigslist, apartments.com. Is there any other option we could use? If you know someone renting 1 bedroom apartment I would really appreciate it. Our budget would be 1000$ (utilities incuded).
3. How much you pay for the food per month? I know it is very different but maybe you could share your experience.
Thanks in advance!
Morgantown, WV Rental Homes, apartments for rent, homes for lease, and more: RentalGuide.net

There are good housing options in Morgantown with major new construction taking place in several areas. Part of the reason for that is the expected increase in the number of students at West Virginia University this coming year. Approximately 2,500 additional students are scheduled to be in the city. In addition, the healthcare sector in our city is expanding rapidly, as is the retail sector.

Morgantown is a very safe city, one of the safest in our state, with a very low violent crime rate. There are some areas where more students live, and those areas can be a bit loud at times due to parties and the like, but safety is almost never an issue. Our many miles of developed trails are also available to provide great recreational opportunities.

The super markets in Morgantown are no more expensive than anywhere else in America. Food at grocery stores is not taxed in West Virginia, which helps keep the cost low. There are hundreds of restaurants here and that number is constantly growing so there is ample competition in the restaurant business. Eatery options run the gamut from fast food to fine dining, and prices reflect the options selected.

Welcome to our growing, thriving city.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:28 AM

890 posts, read 1,052,573 times
Quote:
Hello!
Thanks in advance!

there's alot of bad things about living in Morgantown, and West Virginia in general. However, the cost of living (including groceries) is pretty cheap and safety is a non issue....although with the growth does come more crime, but thats not an issue as of yet.....

Old 07-10-2016, 01:49 PM

255 posts, read 390,980 times
Quote:
Hello!
Thanks in advance!
Food costs can vary a lot depending on what you like to eat and whether you eat out a lot. Americans in general, and especially younger people tend to eat out a lot and Morgantown has plenty of restaurants in all price ranges.

I find that I seem to spend as much or more on recurring non-food items such as laundry detergent, toothpaste, toilet tissue, pet supplies etc as I do on food. They are often cheaper at Target or Wal-mart.

I don't know where you are from so I don't know if you eat mainly an American type diet or something we would consider more exotic. Either way, Morgantown has a large international population so you should be able to find a good selection of groceries.

Our main grocery stores here are Giant Eagle, Kroger and Walmart. There is also an Aldi's which is lower cost but also a more limited selection and a Target which only has a limited food supply but has good prices on the non-food items. There are a few other smaller supermarkets and a few specialty markets that sell things like Asian items. No Trader Joes or Whole Foods here; the nearest ones are just south of Pittsburgh. During the summer there are quite a few farmer's markets that sell local produce.

One suggestion; most of the big supermarket such as Kroger's have websites with online ads. If you take a look at those you can get an idea of what prices are like in the area.

Another thing to keep in mind when budgeting; Americans tend to pay a lot more for cellular service and Internet service than a lot of other countries so you may be in for a shock when purchasing those services.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:48 PM

671 posts, read 1,056,970 times
To address food prices, my family of four subsists on a $120/week grocery bill which includes sundry items. This includes mostly staples and fresh produce but no meat. Not sure how that compares to cost in other locales.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 AM

5 posts, read 8,078 times
Thank you for the valuable information!
We come from Europe - poorer part of it.
It is true that Internet, cable from our perspective is extremely expensive. In my country you can get very speedy Internet + cable for 15 Eur (but do not forget we have pretty low salaries). So you can really fell the difference. And different kind of services also is extremely expensive - the difference sometimes is 5-7 times than in my country.

Old 07-11-2016, 04:08 AM

671 posts, read 1,056,970 times
Be aware that to live comfortably here on any salary under $200,000/year you will need good health insurance for the entire family. This can cost anywhere from $100-800/month not counting copayment for Doctor visits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown