Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 06:39 AM

632 posts, read 831,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkLife View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! Cheat Lake looks like a good area, but it looks to be about a 30 minute commute from Westover (when I looked at around 5:30pm). How does this commute look in the winter? Do they plow the interstate?
Interstate is almost always passable. Even in large blizzards, it's the first thing they clear. And the commute would be closer to 20 minutes from Cheat Lake

Check the website I posted in the post above this one. It has a large list of apartment complexes/companies in the area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 06:46 AM

354 posts, read 505,561 times
If you work in Westover and don't want a long commute and aren't completely comfortable driving on ice and snow, I wouldn't be looking in Cheat Lake

Old 11-18-2016, 08:03 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys! Cheat Lake looks like a good area, but it looks to be about a 30 minute commute from Westover (when I looked at around 5:30pm). How does this commute look in the winter? Do they plow the interstate?
I suppose it would depend on which part of Westover you are talking about, but it's 17 miles from the Cheat Lake exit on I-68 to the Westover exit on I-79, and the speed limit is 70mph. You're essentially driving past the southern end of Morgantown and going to the western side, across the river.
Any traffic tie ups would be in the Westover area... not the Cheat Lake area. Cheat Lake is also right at the foot of both Cheat Mountain and the gorgeous Cheat River Canyon, and it's about 20 to 25 minutes from Uniontown, PA via the Mon Fayette Expressway which would depending on traffic would get you to Pittsburgh via that road and US 119 in approximately an hour depending on traffic. I would suggest you take the time to check it out when you visit.

In my opinion, as long as you don't drive up the mountain, snow wouldn't be any worse in Cheat Lake than elsewhere. If you plan to drive up the mountain in Winter... I'd want 4 wheel drive a lot of days.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:34 AM

75 posts, read 91,132 times
Quote:
With the steep inclines and declines of I-68 and I-79 from Westover and Cheat Lake, the commute is treacherous with any significant snowfall.

The interstates do get the first attention, but the WVDOT doesn't exactly have a mass fleet of plows at the ready like other states.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,730 times
Default Rental in Morgantown West Virginia

Does anyone have a rental property or apartment share in Morgantown West Virginia?

Old 12-12-2016, 06:39 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
There are various types of rentals in various price ranges in and around Morgantown. This city is home to a large research university with a very large medical presence, so generally the closer you get to those activities the more expensive the rental but there are some rentals in nearby areas, some of them quite nice such as Cheat Lake, that are fairly reasonable and have nice amenities. If you are looking for lower priced areas, Fairmont is not far at all via the Interstate and they have less expensive rental properties, as do nearby areas in Pennsylvania. The areas near campus often have large numbers of students living in them.

This is coming to the "between semesters" time of year, so there will be greater choice now than at any time except summer months.

Apartments for Rent in Morgantown WV | Apartments.com

Old 01-11-2017, 11:21 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Several threads about moving to Morgantown have been merged into one consolidated thread. Make all moving related posts in this thread. Please report any new threads started about moving to Morgantown so we can merge them in before they get a lot of posts.

Old 04-17-2017, 07:26 PM

91 posts, read 135,182 times
Best Part of the City to focus my Apartment search on?

Mid 30s, living alone. so, just a decent sized 1BR with stuff to do within driving distance, in a relatively safe area would do.

suggestion what part of the City to focus on? I'd like to live inside the City if possible, if not, then very close to it. Not say, Fairmont. I'd like to be closer to Morgantown than that. Plus, I'm not sure if Fairmont is a place that i would actually like.

I'll be coming sometime in the Summer, hopefully. As soon as a suitable Position opens up there that I can transfer to. Don't wanna leave the Company I work for, and Morgantown/Martinsburg are the only two places up there that have a store. I'm unsure about Martinsburg as a place to live, so I'm focusing on Morgantown.

Was gonna move to Huntington, but I've decided that I gotta get out of the Southern half of WV altogether. it sucks out here.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:23 AM

671 posts, read 1,057,066 times
South Park, Greenmont. See if you can find an apt. on South High, Grand, Wilson, Kingwood, or anything in those neighborhoods. I lived across the creek from downtown when I first moved here and loved being able to walk to nightly entertainment and return home within a couple of minutes.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:24 AM

91 posts, read 135,182 times
Sooo...
I went to look at Timberline Apartments and picked up an application last week when I stopped in MoTown on my way back from Maryland.

Actually had a chance to properly drive through the City and look around, it seems pretty nice, Morgantown does.

I'm gonna be back up there this Saturday for a job interview, and I'm gonna spend the whole day in Morgantown, and try to look at some other apartments too.

Any suggestions, besides looking at apartments, for interesting things to do in town while I am in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Morgantown