Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 09:36 PM

3,195 posts, read 2,649,705 times

Advertisements

The only thing is that they announced the project before consultations and approval, so Plante is not happy about that and advocates are going on with the whole social housing thing again. But I doubt the city will turn down a $700M project that will increase values, increase the tax base, downtown population and help local businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 04:18 PM

17,133 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djesus007 View Post
More info about the project, it's $700 million, has 1,500 units (500 rental, 1,000 condo), mix use and will be 220 metres tall above sea level (so around 185-190m in height. There will also be commercial shops at street level and if everything goes to plan, construction starts end of 2019 and they'll build one tower at a time.
That's one thing that I always loved about Montreal that some other cities just fail to do, especially Florida cities. Montreal has ALWAYS been very dense at street level, and it makes walking around that much more enjoyable.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
That's one thing that I always loved about Montreal that some other cities just fail to do, especially Florida cities. Montreal has ALWAYS been very dense at street level, and it makes walking around that much more enjoyable.
Agree 110% on this! even with the new condos around the Bell Centre, for example, we've seen stores, a grocery store, restaurants, bank branches, shops etc... it adds life to the street level. With the new condos coming, we're going to see more stores and restaurants opening up. I'm sure you've noticed this too, especially going to a habs game now. Now you got La Cage, Taverne 1909 (amazing atmosphere, the food is ok) Jerry Ferrer, Baton Rouge, Madisons, etc.. and after the game, it's just packed and most go to Crescent after. Of course, this area is always packed but when there's a habs game or a show it's insane.

Old 12-01-2018, 04:16 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
I recently watched a few videos online, and wow.....the Montreal Skyline is looking good! It seems to have grown quite a bit on the western edge of downtown, and quite a few high rise apartments between downtown and grffintown. Quite a few changes since I lived there. It is looking real nice. I can't wait to get back and take some pics!

Old 12-01-2018, 06:40 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Future Montreal projects? dig up as many roads as possible and when motorists find a way around the construction dig those roads up as well.
https://goo.gl/images/51vK2R

Old 12-01-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I recently watched a few videos online, and wow.....the Montreal Skyline is looking good! It seems to have grown quite a bit on the western edge of downtown, and quite a few high rise apartments between downtown and grffintown. Quite a few changes since I lived there. It is looking real nice. I can't wait to get back and take some pics!
Downtown has grown so much that it includes Griffintown now. And I moved back five years ago, it was still pretty empty, so everything you've seen has been built since 2014/14 till now and the boom is still going strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Future Montreal projects? dig up as many roads as possible and when motorists find a way around the construction dig those roads up as well.
I mean.....when the city is 40 years behind on projects, crap like this happens. but it's ok cause when every other city has crumbling roads and issues like this, we will be brand new haha.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:01 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
This is the area I was talking about on the western side of downtown.

reposted from reddit: Montreal, Canada [1600x1066] (source in description) by Patrick Lawe, on Flickr

Old 12-02-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:

reposted from reddit: Montreal, Canada [1600x1066] (source in description) by Patrick Lawe, on Flickr
And if you also include all the 10-22 floor highrises added Western, Eastern and Griffintown parts of downtown, it's at least another 40-50 buildings. And for western downtown, besides TDC3 being under construction right now, there are another three towers being proposed from behind CCE to the train tracks + CP might still do their project covering the tracks and adding a tower or two.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:48 AM

17,133 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:

Impressive!

Old 12-03-2018, 06:19 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Montreal is an old city in terms of infrastructure. Its sewer pipes are old, its streets are old, its bridges are old and so on. You can't fix everything overnight and old infrastructure needs continual maintenance. Your Turcotte Interchange Project is pretty much Montreal's Big Dig similar to what we Bostonians went through over a decade ago. Yeah it's a pain to deal with but what do you expect the government to do? On the bright side, Montreal is a young and vibrant city in terms of social environment which is why so many privately developed high rises are going up. Would you rather the city be economically stagnant instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Montreal