Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 11:55 AM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post
Johnny's Dew Drop In became After Dark then something else and now Carbones.

The Mexican restaurant was Consuelo's. Remember their race car?

I remember having pizza at Aces Pizza and running the player piano there.
Yep, names sure changed a lot over the year's...

Consuelo's had good food. I don't remember a race car though hmmm

Close to downtown Monterey, we used to go to "La Cantina". The Enea brothers had the bar. They would have Calamari, etc snacks sometimes...yum...
Many of us got into playing liars dice there, for drinks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 12:10 PM

183 posts, read 254,224 times
Man, I loved Consuelo's in the mid-late 70's. Such terrific food and the old house converted to a restaurant was beautiful! I dated the manager for a while in the late 70's. Super nice guy named Jim :-) Wonder whatever happened to him?

Old 04-12-2015, 07:45 PM

235 posts, read 405,269 times
Anyone know whatever happened to Ms. Jean Vallon? She taught me Sixth Grade at Thomas O Larkin Elementary in 1972-73. Believe it or not, this was one of the original questions when I began this string a couple of years ago!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:19 PM

75 posts, read 154,042 times
Does anyone remember a dive bar called "Little Joe's Frontier" in Seaside? It was near the corner of Del Monte Blvd and Broadway. I am not sure if it is the same building, but there is a "Jose's Mexican Restaurant" in the same locale.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:52 PM

75 posts, read 154,042 times
a few other things from the past. Do you remember:
Becky's Burger Pit in Seaside?
Earl (Earl Wright) the Barber in Downtown Monterey?
ZAC-KIT Electronics near Fisherman's Wharf?

Old 05-03-2015, 09:39 PM

17,634 posts, read 22,630,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark9272 View Post
Does anyone remember a dive bar called "Little Joe's Frontier" in Seaside? It was near the corner of Del Monte Blvd and Broadway. I am not sure if it is the same building, but there is a "Jose's Mexican Restaurant" in the same locale.
I remember the 'Sportsman's Club' on Broadway. Its been there a long time. Some of my friends used to go there...

Cuz

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...+Seaside%2C+CA

Old 06-26-2015, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,137 times
When the restaurant starting with A was mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I thought it might have been Aldon's, which I visited many times in 1969 while stationed at Fort Ord. Apparently not, but I wonder if anyone remembers Aldon's? When I passed thru in about 1980 (I think), the name had been changed to Lobster Grotto. It's at the end of a wharf, and there's a window on the floor where you can see the waves coming in on the rocks below.

I also went to the Steinbeck Theatre, across from Aldon's, a few times. Now I can't find any reference anywhere to Aldon's or to the theatre. There was also a pizza place a few blocks away, I believe it was on the other side of some railroad tracks. I think it was in an old multi-story building.

If any of this rings a bell with anyone, please post a reply. Thanks.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:17 AM

47 posts, read 135,462 times
Lobster Grotto is now Bubba Gumps. It was next to the cannery building that had the theater (I saw "Jaws" there!!) and the Mark Thomas Outrigger that was at the very end of the building. For years there was a shipwrecked outrigger in the water off the pier.

A fire broke out in 1978 taking out the theater and other businesses in the complex. Building was reconstructed without it.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,137 times
Barovelli: Thanks much for the info. I'm thinking of visiting the area in August, so wondered what I would find. Also wondered what happened to the theatre. The 1st movie I saw there was Take the Money and Run, with Woody Allen. I saw a few others, but can't remember which ones. I wasn't able to find anything on the web about the theatre or Aldon's, it's as if they never existed. Thanks Again.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:02 PM

47 posts, read 135,462 times
OT - movie houses in the 70s

Ballad of Cable Houge, Deliverance, Junior Bonner, were some I saw at the Steinbeck Theatre.

The Godfather, Cactus Flower, M A S H, Animal House at the Regency on Alvarado.

Too many to mention at the State. Every Disney flick with Kurt Russell. Every Herbie the Love Bug movie.

Star Wars was at the Golden Bough in Carmel.

American Graffiti, Kelly's Heros at the Grove in PG

Too many bad movies at the Marina Auto Movie. When the fog rolled in there was nothing to do but make out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County