Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:40 PM

75 posts, read 153,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barovelli View Post
Was it Abalonetti? It's been there a long time - my parents were frequent dine-out types and I got to sample many restaurant meals growing up in the 70s. It was my introduction to calamari.

My wedding reception was at the Hotel San Carlos, my stepdad was a chef at the restaurant there.

More 70s? The Del Monte Express arriving signaled time to be back home in the summer - was about 8pm I recall.
Dennis the Menace park was much more adventurous - friends would hop the fence at night. We also explored it during it's remodel.

More 70s Cannery row - another adventurous place to play was the shut down cannery buildings. There were easy entrances here and there. We could also play under the wharfs.

Movies downtown were either at the State or the Regency. Hellams Tobacco shop had a huge candy selection to stock up on before going in the theater.

Best hot fudge sundae was at The Poppy.

I'd buy 'cut out' record albums at Woolworth for 25 cents each.
I remember that restaurant -- the building looked like a large fishing vessel. Local rumor had it that the Mob had part ownership and had it burned down (arson) due to a disagreement with the other owner!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 11:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,495 times
Does anyone remember what the name of the Asian restaurant on Cannery Row that is now the Chart House or the name of the pet store that was on the corner of Prescott and Lighthouse across from what was Monte Mart which is now CVS? Thanks for the memories.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:02 AM

47 posts, read 135,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMills View Post
Does anyone remember what the name of the Asian restaurant on Cannery Row that is now the Chart House or the name of the pet store that was on the corner of Prescott and Lighthouse across from what was Monte Mart which is now CVS? Thanks for the memories.
Willy Lums and Pet Paradise.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:50 AM

112 posts, read 130,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMills View Post
Actually that was a grocery market named Value-Max, not Monte Mart. My family often called it Maxi-Value.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecanku View Post
Actually that was a grocery market named Value-Max, not Monte Mart. My family often called it Maxi-Value.
Before Value Max it was Monte Mar. Don't know anything behind the name with no 'T', maybe because it was only a grocery and not a department store like the Monte Marts in Del Rey Oaks or Salinas.

Lums matches:

I remember the Cadillac Eldorado with the license plate that read "LUM LUM".

Old 03-07-2015, 01:42 AM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Before Value Max it was Monte Mar. Don't know anything behind the name with no 'T', maybe because it was only a grocery and not a department store like the Monte Marts in Del Rey Oaks or Salinas.

Lums matches:

I remember the Cadillac Eldorado with the license plate that read "LUM LUM".
Was Monte Mar across the street from a Dairy Queen ice cream place, on Lighthouse, close to Segovia's ?

Old 03-07-2015, 08:35 AM

Monte Mar was in the same block as Segovias.

Dairy Queen was two blocks away, toward PG. Where the new Starbucks now sits. DQ closed and was torn down, along with the original KFC to make the new KFC that is now Starbucks.

Speaking of soft serve, there was also a Foster Freeze where Giannis Pizza is.

Old 03-07-2015, 03:46 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
Quote:
Monte Mar was in the same block as Segovias.

Dairy Queen was two blocks away, toward PG. Where the new Starbucks now sits. DQ closed and was torn down, along with the original KFC to make the new KFC that is now Starbucks.

Speaking of soft serve, there was also a Foster Freeze where Giannis Pizza is.
Thank you

We used to go to Navy Reserve meetings on Lighthouse.

Sometimes we got a cold beer at the 'Dew Drop Inn'

There was a good Mexican restaurant across the street a few blocks up Lighthouse. You walked up some steps...

I rented an apt up David, a long time ago...

Old 03-19-2015, 05:27 PM

112 posts, read 130,908 times
Interesting comments. My family moved to Monterey in 1981, we wouldn't know what Value Max was called before then. Not sure either why "mart" would be used with no t, also the name "Ultra Mar." Monte Mart is now Safeway, Value Max is now CVS. Times do change!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Thank you

We used to go to Navy Reserve meetings on Lighthouse.

Sometimes we got a cold beer at the 'Dew Drop Inn'

There was a good Mexican restaurant across the street a few blocks up Lighthouse. You walked up some steps....
Johnny's Dew Drop In became After Dark then something else and now Carbones.

The Mexican restaurant was Consuelo's. Remember their race car?

I remember having pizza at Aces Pizza and running the player piano there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Monterey County