Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 01:26 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
Yes I’d discourage building new city owned buildings if we are currently neglecting the ones we do own. I feel like it is common sense to fix what you have before you start building new things. And yes, anyone can propose things, but actually getting them done is another. That’s why I’m not crediting Mayor Stimpson with having done it yet.

I’m just saying that to marshal all the resources, time, and effort into reviving downtown is a good thing, if you go downtown. But for a large majority of people, they rarely go downtown. So, they see their streets not paved, the roads congested when they go to and from work, and the parks having little to no amenities or outdated amenities, and they have have a negative image of the administration. That’s why the comprehensive plans put together to address these things city wide is making Stimpson a better mayor. Investment in downtown still continues, but the city is addressing the needs of all constitutes far better. That’s why he beat Sam Jones twice and has increased his margin of victory every election
The plans to fix the parks were literally all created under Jones. You are basically saying Jones lost because the recession happened and He had to wait to implement some of the things he wanted.

In fact, im 100% sure you can go to the other thread and see where I posted the 2009 comprehensive plan that includes all the things you named that Stimpson is getting credit for.

So Stimpson isnt doing anything other than following a plan that was already laid out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2023, 05:13 AM

862 posts, read 587,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
A couple of points of contention.

The total number of jobs for the entire US has surpassed pre pandemic levels. Meaning that you are comparing an actual recession with structural problems to something that was easily recoverable once the initial danger had subsided.

Your numbers do not match the Census or Alabama department of labor.

https://www2.labor.alabama.gov/workf...e%20County.pdf

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_33660.htm

it is possible your numbers are of total number of jobs held by people living in Mobile County, which would include jobs created in Baldwin County as well as the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Data comes directly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the source you are referencing. You are also making references to the Labor Force, not Jobs, 2 separate things

https://www.bls.gov/regions/southeast/al_mobile_msa.htm

Old 10-17-2023, 05:14 AM

Quote:
The plans to fix the parks were literally all created under Jones. You are basically saying Jones lost because the recession happened and He had to wait to implement some of the things he wanted.

In fact, im 100% sure you can go to the other thread and see where I posted the 2009 comprehensive plan that includes all the things you named that Stimpson is getting credit for.

So Stimpson isnt doing anything other than following a plan that was already laid out.

Map for Mobile is much more different than what the 2009 comprehensive plan had in store, not to mention Jones had 8 years to accomplish what he wanted, but didn't

Old 10-17-2023, 06:51 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,858,645 times
As a reminder to those that need it: the original point of contention is that Stimpson did/does LESS than the others for downtown. Not sure why there is even an argument...

Old 10-17-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Map for Mobile is much more different than what the 2009 comprehensive plan had in store,
Im going by the specifics mentioned in the post I responded to.

Civic center revitalization, Fixing up and building new parks through out town, road resurfacing/directional change-add

All started under Jones.

Quote:
not to mention Jones had 8 years to accomplish what he wanted, but didn't
we are 2 weeks away from the start of Year 11 of Stimpson and none of the above things are finished. So plans from 2005 = 18 years. Meaning Stimpson had a blueprint and still hasnt gotten it done.

Quote:
Data comes directly from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the source you are referencing. You are also making references to the Labor Force, not Jobs, 2 separate things

https://www.bls.gov/regions/southeast/al_mobile_msa.htm
Yes, jobs =/= labor force. But my link specifically states jobs created in Mobile County.

Your link is specifically talking about employed people living in Mobile County. , not jobs created in Mobile county.

So you are giving Stimpson credit for jobs he isnt responsible for creating, for example, someone living in downtown Mobile working as the assistant store manager at the new Aldi in Daphne. Thats not a job Stimpson created/is responsible for, but is included in your number.(posting your link confirmed this)

Old 10-17-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Im going by the specifics mentioned in the post I responded to.

Civic center revitalization, Fixing up and building new parks through out town, road resurfacing/directional change-add

All started under Jones.

we are 2 weeks away from the start of Year 11 of Stimpson and none of the above things are finished. So plans from 2005 = 18 years. Meaning Stimpson had a blueprint and still hasnt gotten it done.

Yes, jobs =/= labor force. But my link specifically states jobs created in Mobile County.

Your link is specifically talking about employed people living in Mobile County. , not jobs created in Mobile county.

So you are giving Stimpson credit for jobs he isnt responsible for creating, for example, someone living in downtown Mobile working as the assistant store manager at the new Aldi in Daphne. Thats not a job Stimpson created/is responsible for, but is included in your number.(posting your link confirmed this)
No the second column is literally referring to JOBS IN MOBILE COUNTY

You are confusing Labor Force for Jobs still. Someone living in Mobile and working in Daphne would count as a job for Baldwin County AND NOT MOBILE, but they are UNDER MOBILE’s civilian labor force. Again We are talking about jobs, NOT civilian labor force.

The Mobile BLS encompasses the civilian labor force residing in Mobile County and the number of Jobs in Mobile county. Someone living in Mobile working in Baldwin would have be counted as a member of Mobile’s Civilian Labor Force but that JOB would go to Baldwin’s BLS; someone living in Baldwin and working in Mobile, their job would go under Mobile’s BLS but they are a part of Baldwin’s Labor Force

Also the link you used tells you why the numbers are different than mine
Quote:
Estimates for detailed occupations do not sum to the totals because the totals include occupations not shown separately. Estimates do not include self-employed workers
Plus it’s from May 2022, all my numbers come from January

Last edited by InlandWave; 10-17-2023 at 02:41 PM..

Old 10-17-2023, 03:34 PM

Quote:
No the second column is literally referring to JOBS IN MOBILE COUNTY
in the link you posted, the column headers are for month of the year. , so the second column for me says March 2023. from the right, it would be July 2023.

I see nothing that indicates jobs in your link, but rather labor force size.

Quote:
You are confusing Labor Force for Jobs still.
im not.

Quote:
Someone living in Mobile and working in Daphne would count as a job for Baldwin County]
yes, correct

Quote:
AND NOT MOBILE, but they are UNDER MOBILE’s civilian labor force
yes correct.

Your 189K number is the Number of individuals living in Mobile County who have a job anywhere in the US. it is not the number of jobs created in Mobile County.

Quote:
Again We are talking about jobs, NOT civilian labor force.
yes, and your jobs number is wrong, you are quoting the wrong number. We arent disagreeing about what the terms mean, we are disagreeing about whether you have the right number or not. plain and simple.

Quote:
The Mobile BLS encompasses the civilian labor force residing in Mobile County andtthe number of Jobs in Mobile county.
no, your link to BLS only discusses the people from Mobile County. not where they are employed.

My link specifically says

Quote:
These estimates are calculated [b]with data collected from employers in all industry sectors in Mobile, AL, a metropolitan statistical area in Alabama

170,790 EMPLOYED across all occupations

Last updated april 23, 2023

Quote:
Someone living in Mobile working in Baldwin would have be counted as a member of Mobile’s Civilian Labor Force but that JOB would go to Baldwin’s BLS; someone living in Baldwin and working in Mobile, their job would go under Mobile’s BLS but they are a part of Baldwin’s Labor Force
yes and no. the job would count for which ever county it exists in. but the employment would count for the county the person is from. These are all different measures and you seem to be confusing them

Employment = Counts towards the county the person lives in, regardless of where the job is.
Job creation = County in which the job itself exists in, regardless of where the person is from.

Number of total employed individuals who live in Mobile County(and Washington county as that is MSA according to the link) = 189K

Number of jobs within Mobile County =170,000

you used the 189K number which is incorrect, as I said that number would include someone from Mobile driving to Pascagoula to work at Ingulls/Chevron or someone driving to Loxley to work at the Aldis distribution center. Those arent jobs stimpson can lay claim to.

Quote:
Also the link you used tells you why the numbers are different than mine
That line is about self employed workers and a small difference in jobs based on how they are categorized them, has nothing to do with why your numbers are 19,000 off from mine.

=

Last edited by dsjj251; 10-17-2023 at 03:49 PM..

Old 10-17-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
in the link you posted, the column headers are for month of the year. , so the second column for me says March 2023. from the right, it would be July 2023.
Sorry I meant area. My guy, everything under the bright blue "Nonfarm Salary and Salary Employment" is your jobs. I assumed you would have explored around the website instead just looking at the only page, come on now…. when you click the graph next to "Total Nonfarm" (JOBS) it takes you to the data set, go to the coordinates of Jan and 2023 and there's the magical 189k

Quote:
Your 189K number is the Number of individuals living in Mobile County who have a job anywhere in the US. it is not the number of jobs created in Mobile County.
No the Civilian Labor force for Mobile County in Jan 2023 is 192,208. Click on the graph next to "Civilian Labor Force" and scroll down to 2023-Jan

Quote:
Job and Employment are the same, you are saying that employment = civilian labor force. IT DOES NOT. Do you say, "my job is in Mobile, but my place of employment is in Baldwin County"? no you don't, this means your job is in Mobile AND Baldwin
Job and Employment are the same, you are saying that employment = civilian labor force. IT DOES NOT. Do you say, "my job is in Mobile, but my place of employment is in Baldwin County"? no you don't, saying this means your job is in Mobile AND Baldwin

Quote:
you used the 189K number which is incorrect, as I said that number would include someone from Mobile driving to Pascagoula to work at Ingulls/Chevron or someone driving to Loxley to work at the Aldis distribution center. Those arent jobs stimpson can lay claim to.
you are describing the Civilian Labor Force my guy

Quote:
Number of total employed individuals who live in Mobile County(and Washington county as that is MSA according to the link) = 189K
Washington County is not a part of Mobile's BLS, even when it was in the metro. The BLS rarely updates the counties in a BLS, just like how Walker County was in the Birmingham BLS while it was not in the metro

Last edited by InlandWave; 10-17-2023 at 04:38 PM..

Old 10-17-2023, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Sorry I meant area. My guy, everything under the bright blue "Nonfarm Salary and Salary Employment" is your jobs. I assumed you would have explored around the website instead just looking at the only page, come on now…. when you click the graph next to "Total Nonfarm" (JOBS) it takes you to the data set, go to the coordinates of Jan and 2023 and there's the magical 189k

No the Civilian Labor force for Mobile County in Jan 2023 is 192,208. Click on the graph next to "Civilian Labor Force" and scroll down to 2023-Jan

Job and Employment are the same, you are saying that employment = civilian labor force. IT DOES NOT. Do you say, "my job is in Mobile, but my place of employment is in Baldwin County"? no you don't, saying this means your job is in Mobile AND Baldwin

you are describing the Civilian Labor Force my guy

Washington County is not a part of Mobile's BLS, even when it was in the metro. The BLS rarely updates the counties in a BLS, just like how Walker County was in the Birmingham BLS while it was not in the metro
LOL, there is no way you are serious.

Old 10-17-2023, 08:44 PM

Quote:
LOL, there is no way you are serious.
Hate to break to you bud, but yes everything I’ve said is correct, go through this website every month for 2 years like I have and get back to me, alright?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area